PDA

View Full Version : Rebel yell, if it hasn't been made for the game already

Jeffrey Miller
01-05-2016, 07:38 AM
I know that this would be a great thing to have in game, especially as a charge neared the Union lines. Maybe a button you could press? It would be great to have it in many different voices as well. Below is a recording of Confederate vets using the yell for the right sound. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jSqt39vFM

Soulfly
01-05-2016, 08:03 AM
Hi, you may want to take a look at the character teaser https://youtu.be/QjjtVoHRXgg?t=31 i think that is a rebell yell you hear, isnt it ? please note that i dont know if that is still up to date though

Jeffrey Miller
01-05-2016, 08:05 AM
Hi, you may want to take a look at the character teaser https://youtu.be/QjjtVoHRXgg?t=31 i think that is a rebell yell you hear, isnt it ? please note that i dont know if that is still up to date though

Thanks man I will look at it. Just did and yeah that sounds right and like a Rebel yell. Danke sehr!

R21
01-05-2016, 08:07 AM
I hope there's a cool-down timer on this or it will get spammed to hell, lol.

Hinkel
01-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Thanks man I will look at it. Just did and yeah that sounds right and like a Rebel yell. Danke sehr!

Like I already posted, the confederates used all kind of different rebel yells. Some units had their own yells too.
Check out the voice example we posted during the kickstarter updates. There you will hear one variation of it (seconds 11-14):

https://soundcloud.com/rezonance-1/update-13-voice-examples

Jeffrey Miller
01-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Thank you! I didn't know if anyone else had found this clip on you tube and thought I would share it.

Landree
01-11-2016, 01:28 PM

I spam this IRL.

Landree
02-13-2016, 04:43 AM
Not sure if the appropriate thread, but I'd love to hear battle cries that were actually spoken during the battles from known instances in anecdotes. It'd be interesting to have that bit of period lingo thrown in.

Jagdmann
02-13-2016, 08:59 AM
I know that this would be a great thing to have in game, especially as a charge neared the Union lines. Maybe a button you could press? It would be great to have it in many different voices as well. Below is a recording of Confederate vets using the yell for the right sound. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jSqt39vFM

Damn thanx for that link. It appears they did this somewhere deep in the throat. It really sounds creepier than I ever thought!

Legion
02-13-2016, 08:43 PM
Damn thanx for that link. It appears they did this somewhere deep in the throat. It really sounds creepier than I ever thought!

more of a howl/yelp then a yell i'd say, sounds kinda like a coyote

MadWolf
02-16-2016, 08:12 PM
There must be a reason why someone would yell like this, so can someone pls explain to me why they did this yell ?

Legion
02-16-2016, 08:29 PM
There must be a reason why someone would yell like this, so can someone pls explain to me why they did this yell ?

Probably for morale and to put fear in the yanks. I know that if I was charging the enemy I would want them to be afraid. plus howling just gets you excited for a fight.

Landree
02-16-2016, 09:58 PM

Same reason why people across many different conflicts have all had their battle cries, such as "Huzzah", "Hurrah", "Urrah", "Oorah", and "Banzai"! It instills confidence in the attackers and scares the piss out of those being attacked.

Legion
03-15-2016, 04:56 AM
Will the rebel yell give a morale boost or suppression resistance to the company that is preforming the yell? and will it cause the enemy to get a morale penalty/ suppression effect? But it should have a waiting time before you can do it again and it should only effect the enemy if you are rather close, say within 100 yards.

crazychester1247
03-15-2016, 06:32 AM
Hopefully there's in game VOIP so we can do our own battlecrys.

Here's one I might use.

för svensk sång samhället !

Josy_Wales
03-15-2016, 10:03 AM
I have thought about how this and how it could be executed with the best results, and if I was to be asked personally Id say, let people do their individual yells/shouts, but also have an option for the officer to control this if he wants. So when you are going to do a charge or want the enemy to know your presence, the officer can choose to have his men do a combined lasting yell. Id also like to se the option of officers being able to block his mens ability to do individual yells when needed.

Legion
03-15-2016, 11:57 AM
I don't really want the yell to be voip but I think that if there is voip in the game then their is nothing stopping you from yelling. I think the yell should be a button with multiple styles of the rebel yell and when the officer wan't them to yell he can just tell them to, I don't think the officer should be able to keep his men from yelling though, it should be an individual choice.

Josy_Wales
03-15-2016, 06:43 PM
The reason I would prefer a combined lasting yell and the option to keep your men quiet as an ability for the officers is to prevent trolling, and have individual yelling with a cool down as a different thing then a lasting rebel yell preformed by the entire company/regiment. A lot of people in every single community will try to find ways to troll, and if every single individual could yell as consistent as he wanted it would be a mess. Also if its only the option to yell with a cool down its not going to sound nor feel like the real deal.

Id love to have VOIP, but if it was to be the only way to do the rebel yell (I know its not) Id be forced to play WoR only when there is nobody home and all the neighbors are out :p

Legion
03-15-2016, 07:27 PM
The reason I would prefer a combined lasting yell and the option to keep your men quiet as an ability for the officers is to prevent trolling, and have individual yelling with a cool down as a different thing then a lasting rebel yell preformed by the entire company/regiment. A lot of people in every single community will try to find ways to troll, and if every single individual could yell as consistent as he wanted it would be a mess. Also if its only the option to yell with a cool down its not going to sound nor feel like the real deal.

Id love to have VOIP, but if it was to be the only way to do the rebel yell (I know its not) Id be forced to play WoR only when there is nobody home and all the neighbors are out :p

I didn't mean that you only get to yell once then it cools down, you should be able to yell multiple times before it needs to cool down, or it could use up stamina and work that way instead of having a cool down.

Locke1740
03-15-2016, 07:29 PM

The rebel yell was used to horrify Yankee troops and boost morale for southerners

SemajRednaxela
03-15-2016, 07:47 PM
I'm gonna say that there's no need to add any buffs pros or cons to just yelling. I mean if you give the Confederacy a buff yell what do you give the union troops??

Honeslty just imagine how evocative it'll sounds in game anyway. If I was a Union soldier listening to my enemy howling as they rushed to kill me I'd be pretty unnerved. Especially in smokey confined areas like east and west Woods or cornfields....

So I'd just like a MnB style button or some officer / nco option that engages a mass cry when say ordering a melee charge at an enemy unit. We've heard lots of fantastic voice over work in the game videos so far, so nothing to worry about there.

And yes you'll always get some 'classic pranksters' who will want to cock around, perhaps more so in skirmish battles. I hope the real core comunity of WoR will play more professionally anyway, as they play regularly with their respective companies etc.

CjkCJkCjk
03-15-2016, 07:51 PM
There is a three part series on YouTube that the museum of the Confederacy did, that had a great rebel yell

Josy_Wales
03-15-2016, 08:07 PM
I'm gonna say that there's no need to add any buffs pros or cons to just yelling. I mean if you give the Confederacy a buff yell what do you give the union troops??

Dont be afraid, they are going to come at us with their target rifles, henrys, spencer, sharps and rifled artillery. Having a buff and debuff as a result the rebel yell would be accurate to real life and the only way to portray fear and pumping adrenalin in a game. It is an idea at least.

Legion
03-15-2016, 08:51 PM
Dont be afraid, they are going to come at us with their target rifles, henrys, spencer, sharps and rifled artillery. Having a buff and debuff as a result the rebel yell would be accurate to real life and the only way to portray fear and pumping adrenalin in a game. It is an idea at least.

We're definitely gonna be outgunned so I think that the yell should have a suppression style effect on the union troops if they are within 100 yards or so. And your right it is an idea we can test, so if it doesn't work we can throw it out, the yells gonna be in the game anyway.

Landree
03-17-2016, 01:45 AM
I don't think the rebel yell should have any buffs or debuffs. It should just be what it is - just the same as the Union Hurrah. Let the actual impact of a 100 man company shouting the rebel yell be the brown-trouser moment for the man on the other side. Not because the game dictates "you're supposed to be shitting yer pants, so here's some suppression"

crazychester1247
03-17-2016, 02:44 AM
I agree with that. I'm al for letting the players developing their own gameplay style and not the other way around.

Hiram Lee
06-03-2016, 09:52 AM

only that would be okay as the rebs used it as a warcry to scare the yanks so they might do it for hours

aaron1234q
06-04-2016, 04:18 AM

Without the Henrys and Spencers, of course I believe.

R21
06-04-2016, 05:45 AM
I don't think the rebel yell should have any buffs or debuffs. It should just be what it is - just the same as the Union Hurrah. Let the actual impact of a 100 man company shouting the rebel yell be the brown-trouser moment for the man on the other side. Not because the game dictates "you're supposed to be shitting yer pants, so here's some suppression"

Exactly, having it have a suppression effect would be gimmicky imo and given the way people play Games (exploiting features to their fullest) it wouldn't get used in a realistic or immersive way. Like you'd probably have them Yell when they were close enough, run a bit toward the enemy, briefly top up the enemies suppression by doing it again, rinse and repeat.

That'd just be annoying more than anything.

Hiram Lee
06-04-2016, 03:00 PM

due to the ilness of the time i think it would be more of a black and red trouser moment

LTC Philip A. Work
06-04-2016, 10:13 PM
I'd like to use the VOIP, if the devs add a modifier to the volume of the VOIP (normal speaking and shouting options ala ARMA's ACRE mod) I could see it working very well, without getting a noise complaint from the neighbors.

Legion
06-04-2016, 10:31 PM
I'd like to use the VOIP, if the devs add a modifier to the volume of the VOIP (normal speaking and shouting options ala ARMA's ACRE mod) I could see it working very well, without getting a noise complaint from the neighbors.

As long as they have an option to use a button for the yell like in M&B or something, that way people who don't wan't to actually yell can just press the button.

Colonel P. R. Page
06-08-2016, 02:48 AM
http://www.26nc.org/History/Rebel-Yell/rebel-yell.html