PDA

View Full Version : Movement/Reloading/Bayonetts/Melee - Animations in general

Flemmi
05-26-2016, 06:17 PM
I know that in the Tech Alpha everything is bugged so maybe something I suggest here is just not shown due to bugs.
Ok here is my suggestion to the movement. I think it would help of feeling in control of the soldier to Make animations in a way that you can abord them or switch to another one. like while i fix bayonett i am glued down. I can abord reloading, so why not the bayonet thing?

First point about Reloading
Also a thing I noticed about this cancel the reload. it is too sensitive. when I press R twice my guy is jerking his gun around like a fool. maybe put a delay in between starten and canceling the reload. maybe just a second or a little less. but having to see him jerk around and than not reload is annoying, to me. After Reloading he puts the rifle to the shoulder every time instead of being able to aim directly (but i think this is actually because of Tech alpha and an already planned feature, right? because it works with reloading after firing)

Second about Movement
If I where able to Reload and fix/unfix my bayonett without to reset my rifle. Having less time wasted with animations "having to reset" would help the gameflow. This game is set to be slow overall. but when you get into the heat of battle you want to be able to react quick and not be glued down by some animation. So making different actions flow into each other would be a nice addition.

It is already in the movement system. you can press any button that is changing your movement speed or how I hold my rifle and it does not stop me or make me feel glued to a rail. Making this feeling consistent over the entire game would be awesome.

Melee
I think this is just becasue it is the Tech alpha but just in case
It looks fine, but also feels like a trip on the train. Railed from start to finished.
Please add more animations to melee and ways to abord them (to prevent team stabbies) maybe even different ways to attack and being more skillfull can win over the one stabbing first. Maybe a Dodge backwards or sidewards to prevent yourself from being stabbed. (I do not know how they fought but I imaging that even the hardest soldier did not wanted to get stabbed and did everything to prevent it.)

Col. Kiwi
05-26-2016, 09:27 PM
Well about Reloading I would add something, I don't know if its suspected, but it would be quiet awesome if reloading while kneeing would be possible, it will create alot of variations to the Line's Inf. and how they can move/act in Battle, like: "Firstrow Aim, Fire, Kneee down, reload, Second Row, Aim , Fire, reload, etc." depending on how much people you got to line it this can very helpful for tactical moves.

CadetCptKirk
05-27-2016, 08:26 PM
I second Flemmi, All the resetting of the rifle from port arms to right shoulder is a waste of time. If there is a way to go from reloading the rifle to port arms to aim, it would making things more smooth.

MisterMeatball
05-31-2016, 05:28 PM
I agree that the animation transitions need to be smoothed out. I made a post about it earlier but I forgot to add this. I will link to your thread instead because you explained it very well and you deserve credit for this.

I also have something to add regarding this. Many of the stances currently in the game have the riflle resting against your shoulder somehow. I would suggest a third stance be added for utility. This would be an informal stance for skirmishers and infantry needing easy access to their rifle without constantly resting it against their shoulder. In this stance the soldier would simply hold the rifle in both hands across their chest. Here is a picture to demonstrate what I mean, I know it is not accurate as ACOG scopes and grenade launchers will not be added for at least a month or two, but this will give you an idea of what I mean.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/midsection-us-marine-corps-soldier-holding-m-assault-rifle-over-gray-background-30852772.jpg

This will allow the solder to advance in a skirmish formation as common with many rebel units and units that become engaged and advance without shouldering their rifles. It should be up to the officer in charge to maintain unit discipline, but I believe this stance has a place in WoR. Also, pressing x could bring the rifle up where the stock is under the armpit, tucked between the elbow and the stomach, where the rifle is slightly raised in a "ready" stance. This will allow soldiers advancing in a skirmish line to quickly raise their rifles and fire, then retreat to safety to asses and continue harassment. I have seen this in quite a few paintings and reenactment videos and I would like some feedback as to actual usage during the war.

http://www.civil-war-journeys.org/images/Battle_of_Chattanooga_III.png

http://civilwartalk.com/attachments/battle_of_williamsburg-png.8115

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ErtJaPZqZ8

While I do not know how historically accurate the images are relating to the specific situations they depict, I am sure that these stances were used during the war. I believe this could enhance the fluidity of the animation system is certain situations and well as enhance the game for skirmishers. Of course proper usage would have to be described in an officer training course. However if someone doesn't want to play properly they can do a lot worse than using an improper stance and that will have to come down to the quality and knowledge of the officers and admins regardless if a stance like this is implemented. Also, having people in mixed stances in -certain- units and formations could make the soldiers seem a little more authentic. While certain units were drilled to behave and move in very specific ways, others did not have that level of discipline and it would be nice to be able to emulate that in this game.

R21
05-31-2016, 11:14 PM
An idea I had for the Melee system was making it so that the Mouse movement controlled thrusts, like:

Go into Melee mode

While holding LMB pull mouse down to thrust back, Mouse forward to thrust forward

and the same for blocking but holding RMB.

I know what you're saying about the animation, it does feel quite prolonged and takes control away from the Player. Another way they could do it is to have MMB control thrusts (like roll MMB down to ready, then MMB up to thrust) they have something similar to this in Chivalry and it works quite well.

https://youtu.be/XN5K6xpNZUo?t=10

Flemmi
06-02-2016, 03:57 PM
I am happy to see so many ideas.

The ideas are great. Especialy the rifle holding one. But to add to the last one. I was thinking of naming chivalery or mount and blade but didn't want to set any standart to achive.

Oleander
06-02-2016, 07:51 PM
I also have something to add regarding this. Many of the stances currently in the game have the riflle resting against your shoulder somehow. I would suggest a third stance be added for utility.

The "v" key brings the rifle to the ready position.