PDA

View Full Version : Loading

[RG]Chewie
02-20-2015, 05:02 AM
I just wanted to say that the loading animations look amazing there is just one slight thing that was a little off.While retrieving the cartridge never turn your head to the side, it puts your head right in the way of the rear rank when they come over to fire. Just something i learned the hard way ;)

Rithal
02-20-2015, 05:12 AM
Chewie;5299']I just wanted to say that the loading animations look amazing there is just one slight thing that was a little off.While retrieving the cartridge never turn your head to the side, it puts your head right in the way of the rear rank when they come over to fire. Just something i learned the hard way ;)

Ouch, sounds like that probably hurt. :eek:

Soulfly
02-20-2015, 08:18 AM
Actually i think that shows/ simulates the "Biting off the...erm top of the cartridge/ paper thingy ?!" i hope you get what i am trying to say here.

Hairywarhero
02-21-2015, 12:15 AM
Will you be able to look around while reloading?

Bravescot
02-21-2015, 12:58 AM
Will you be able to look around while reloading?

I don't think anybody was good enough to start looking at something else whilst reloading. I've tried loading an Enfield in good time and it's damn hard with full concentration alone.

Hairywarhero
02-21-2015, 01:00 AM
I don't think anybody was good enough to start looking at something else whilst reloading. I've tried loading an Enfield in good time and it's damn hard with full concentration alone.

I meant while the reloading animation is going on.

Bravescot
02-21-2015, 01:25 AM
I also spotted that as the Ram rod is returned the animation is slightly off there. It kind of flies into place instead of being placed.

[RG]Chewie
02-21-2015, 04:16 AM
I meant while the reloading animation is going on.
again your head will get in the way of the rear rank when conducting independent fire. Your main objective in the front rank should be to keep your head still and focused forward.

Hairywarhero
02-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Chewie;5361']again your head will get in the way of the rear rank when conducting independent fire. Your main objective in the front rank should be to keep your head still and focused forward.

True. Hmm oh well :)

Bravescot
02-21-2015, 02:04 PM
I feel there should be the slight ability to look around a little when you reload but at the risk of the an behind you blasting you face off.

Rithal
02-21-2015, 06:17 PM
Chewie;5361']again your head will get in the way of the rear rank when conducting independent fire. Your main objective in the front rank should be to keep your head still and focused forward.

I'm definitely not an expert, but in most cases when you are in the front rank, wouldn't the barrels of the second rank be sticking past the heads of those in the front rank? Although, you still probably wouldn't want to turn your head because then your face would be about eight inches from the barrel when the gun was fired.

[RG]Chewie
02-21-2015, 06:37 PM
I'm definitely not an expert, but in most cases when you are in the front rank, wouldn't the barrels of the second rank be sticking past the heads of those in the front rank? Although, you still probably wouldn't want to turn your head because then your face would be about eight inches from the barrel when the gun was fired.
That is correct also the men in the rear rank would have trouble getting the rifle between your head and the guy next to you.

Aniallator
02-23-2015, 08:10 AM
I'm beginning to imagine the number of accidental TKs that will occur :)

Bravescot
02-23-2015, 08:58 AM
I'm beginning to imagine the number of accidental TKs that will occur :)

I think that we'll see some very green lines shooting each other more often then the foe they're firing at.

Aniallator
02-24-2015, 12:51 PM
I just watched the loading in slow motion, and about two seconds in - when you lower the musket - your left hand goes through the barrel for a moment, then back into the correct position.

Soulfly
02-24-2015, 01:17 PM
I find this a good example for reloading https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cWh3w9atTw as you may see the movement of the head is somewhat similar, since grabbing the cap makes this movement natural and i am in doubt that this will cause any trouble regarding TKs and i assume that during the testing phase the devs will watch this feature closely

Bravescot
02-24-2015, 03:45 PM
That's the same video that Hinkel showed me to explain where he got the reloading animations.

TrustyJam
02-24-2015, 03:47 PM
I just watched the loading in slow motion, and about two seconds in - when you lower the musket - your left hand goes through the barrel for a moment, then back into the correct position.

Clipping of animations is part of any game. It'll be there if you want to find it. :) That bring said, all of the current animations are first iterations.

- Trusty

[RG]Chewie
06-20-2015, 09:34 PM
I have another question regarding the reload animation. WHy is there that weird flip of the ramrod (using the other hand to reorient your ramming hand), when i ram cartridges i just pull the ramrod up from the seated position with my hand grasping the ramrod in a way where my thumb is facing up. I then rotate my hand while the rod is still halfway out and regrasp it in a thumbs down position so i can quickly rotate the ramrod when it clears the channel. I find this to be allot quicker then the method that is currently being used. Here is a video of the way i do it, well as far as the ramrod is concerned ;) That is not me just in case you were wondering lol
Skip to 1:51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmGR3arR-fA

[RG]Chewie
06-20-2015, 10:04 PM
a disclaimer about the above video: Many things he does are not safe or correct such as removing the spent cap before reloading and there appears to be a malfunction with the halfcock where he has to go to full to cap it. These are both unsafe practices.

GeorgeCrecy
06-20-2015, 11:45 PM

In regards to this, there was firing in two ranks, and it was quite safe despite what you may think. What happens is that the men in the rear rank find themselves their "window" to their right between the shoulders of the people in front, and the weapon is long enough to have the ears of the front rankers be between the muzzle and the cap, so while they are definitely going to be deaf, they won't be getting hit by much more than a few sparks. :)

Secondly, as for what Chewie was asking, they had a very particular and standardized way of loading the weapon, for one as a matter of safety and for another as a matter of efficiency. If everyone was loading their own way, they could never get a rate of fire going with the whole unit. Thirdly, the ramrod is a very odd thing to be flipping through the air, but it should be done all with the right hand as you are reloading, with the possibility of the left hand helping to guide it into the barrel, though not usually.
Hopefully this answers a few questions!

Rithal
06-21-2015, 12:32 AM
In regards to this, there was firing in two ranks, and it was quite safe despite what you may think. What happens is that the men in the rear rank find themselves their "window" to their right between the shoulders of the people in front, and the weapon is long enough to have the ears of the front rankers be between the muzzle and the cap, so while they are definitely going to be deaf, they won't be getting hit by much more than a few sparks. :)

I was actually arguing for the safety of firing in two ranks although looking back, I didn't make that very clear XD You did a better job at explaining it than I did. I guess that's why you are the Civil War history guru here on the forum! Keep up the great work. :D

Historical Player
06-21-2015, 06:03 PM
I think 3 shots a minute would be great, but the trick is making it not too fast or too slow.

Josy_Wales
06-21-2015, 08:19 PM
I know this is a game aming mainly for reenactors, but I really hope you add things like the abilety to walk (not at full speed ofc) while reloading and other things that can attract people not familiar with this time period. The realoading speed should be as fast as the average civil war soldier in my opinion.

GeorgeCrecy
06-21-2015, 08:37 PM
As has been mentioned before, you have no need to worry Josy_Wales, the current reload speed is historically accurate at it's current speed, taking around 20 seconds to load each shot, which matches the 3 shots a minute rate of the time.

Soulfly
06-24-2015, 10:35 AM
As has been mentioned before, you have no need to worry Josy_Wales, the current reload speed is historically accurate at it's current speed, taking around 20 seconds to load each shot, which matches the 3 shots a minute rate of the time.

Well hopefully that doesnt affect the "fun" while playing. 20 seconds are a long time in a virtual soldiers life and i hope that will not lead to players firing one shot and bayonet-charge...

Rithal
06-24-2015, 01:11 PM
Well hopefully that doesnt affect the "fun" while playing. 20 seconds are a long time in a virtual soldiers life and i hope that will not lead to players firing one shot and bayonet-charge...

Considering firing distances will usually be at least 60 yards, and probably more like, 100 or so, I doubt an enemy unit will be able to reach you in time before being barraged with a volley or two leaving them weak and demoralized... Then again, every new officer will probably try doing this at one point and will just end up getting all of his men killed...

This reminds me of the Battle of Bull Run in the movie Gods and Generals. I imagine a scenario like this will play out in game, except in this case, the charging units won XD

https://youtu.be/QxX4Bo6yG38?t=21

Soulfly
06-24-2015, 01:34 PM
Just saying that i assume the reloading time as too long ( and individual skill doesnt mean historical accurate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJMbxZ1k9NQ ) especially when it comes to the skirmishes where line battles will not be as common as in other game modes.

I see that if the reloading will be to quick it may be to easy to mow down enemies, but on the other hand....

Historical Player
06-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Yea, I am somewhat concerned about the reload time. Maybe 10 seconds or 15 at the most. I am fine with either though. Most shots I take are about 120 yards and I know tons of commanders who will fire and charge every time.

Josy_Wales
06-24-2015, 07:42 PM
In my opinion, bayonett charging should be something you turn to if you are out of ammo, close to a enemy unit, have the perfect momentum or need to take a position in a hurry. I therefore hope your able to shoot and reaload whilst on the move, so when your advansing on an enemy position your not at a terrible disadvantage compared to the defenders. This way you will get some awesome pushes through enemy lines, and can keep up an attack aswell as pursue the enemy without always resorting to the bayonet.

GeorgeCrecy
06-24-2015, 08:24 PM
Just saying that i assume the reloading time as too long ( and individual skill doesnt mean historical accurate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJMbxZ1k9NQ ) especially when it comes to the skirmishes where line battles will not be as common as in other game modes.

I see that if the reloading will be to quick it may be to easy to mow down enemies, but on the other hand....

Hey there Soulfly,

You might be surprised! :) The video that you just showed was certainly exemplary in it's time, though I would mention that that is a Brown Bess, and not an 1861 Springfield, which are two different beasties entirely. Secondly, the three shots a minute is not a post-war average taken from period accounts, it is the prescribed amount of shots to be taught and drilled into the soldiers from every drill manual on both sides. I would also mention that loading a rifled weapon takes a little longer than a smoothbore. All in all, the 20 seconds is historically accurate, and it is still making it so that every soldier is loading in that exemplary amount of time, we are not factoring in the inexperience of the individual, so there has already been quite a bit of leeway given to the players. However, for the fine-tuning of the time taken, we might have to wait until people begin playing in the Skirmishes to see if it actually is too long or too short.

MrAmerican
06-24-2015, 08:44 PM
wait are you talking from first hand exeprience or from a video? If so how the hell did you get the game lol

GeorgeCrecy
06-24-2015, 09:51 PM
The videos we released which show the reloading process show that the process is taking the soldier approximately 20 seconds to complete. Yet again though, we will have to see during the Skirmishes whether that is too long or too short. And it is also from personal experience! :)

Rithal
06-25-2015, 03:55 AM
In my opinion, bayonett charging should be something you turn to if you are out of ammo, close to a enemy unit, have the perfect momentum or need to take a position in a hurry. I therefore hope your able to shoot and reaload whilst on the move, so when your advansing on an enemy position your not at a terrible disadvantage compared to the defenders. This way you will get some awesome pushes through enemy lines, and can keep up an attack aswell as pursue the enemy without always resorting to the bayonet.

Exactly. My mindset is, you weaken the enemy with the shot and powder, but you destroy them with the bayonet! >:-)

Soulfly
06-25-2015, 06:38 AM
Hey there Soulfly,

You might be surprised! :) The video that you just showed was certainly exemplary in it's time, though I would mention that that is a Brown Bess, and not an 1861 Springfield, which are two different beasties entirely. Secondly, the three shots a minute is not a post-war average taken from period accounts, it is the prescribed amount of shots to be taught and drilled into the soldiers from every drill manual on both sides. I would also mention that loading a rifled weapon takes a little longer than a smoothbore. All in all, the 20 seconds is historically accurate, and it is still making it so that every soldier is loading in that exemplary amount of time, we are not factoring in the inexperience of the individual, so there has already been quite a bit of leeway given to the players. However, for the fine-tuning of the time taken, we might have to wait until people begin playing in the Skirmishes to see if it actually is too long or too short.

Hi George and thanks for your reply,

i was aware that this gentleman is from another time period. The only "musket based" game i ever played is Battlegrounds 2 and the reloading time was slightly quicker there, that is why i wanted to express my worries regarding the fun while gaming.

But you are totally right saying that we should wait how this turns out in live action.

Ps: I always thought reloading a 1861 Springfield maybe easier and quicker than a musket from 1812...for reasons like the percussion cap :(

Best,

Soulfly

[RG]Chewie
06-25-2015, 12:23 PM
The percussion cap doesn't make it much easier but it makes the rifle Mich more reliable.

Josy_Wales
06-25-2015, 03:38 PM
Since we haven't seen the revolvers in action yet, what kind of cocking should we expect? I don't know what detail your going to put into this part, but if your going to add stuff like misfires and wedging, it would be a cool addition to have the option of cocking normally (faster but has a chance of getting a percussion cap stuck) or do the "cavalry cock" (think its called that, correct me if am wrong) which is slower, but have no danger of the caps getting stuck.

Nick Lazanis
06-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Exactly. My mindset is, you weaken the enemy with the shot and powder, but you destroy them with the bayonet! >:)

Bayonet>Sarissa

[RG]Chewie
06-25-2015, 08:30 PM
The Calvary cock helped but it didn't completely eliminate the problem as the blowback from the shot could blast the cap off the cone and into the hammer mechanism.

Rithal
06-25-2015, 09:14 PM
Bayonet>Sarissa

I get it.. You are from Greece! and the Sarissa is Greek! and.... ok....

Josy_Wales
06-28-2015, 12:28 AM
Chewie;8110']The Calvary cock helped but it didn't completely eliminate the problem as the blowback from the shot could blast the cap off the cone and into the hammer mechanism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwrM7TE9eJI

Ye i learned how it worked after I saw what you wrote :D But it would still have a much better chance of the cap not getting in the way, wouldn't it. Id love to see people choosing different styles when firing (if possible in this game)