PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain this to me.

Willie Fisterbottom
11-09-2015, 08:36 PM
So first of all, once the game comes out and i make my character name him and all that will i be required to join a company before i can play any multiplayer at all. If so will i only be able to play with people in my company or will i be able to play with random people. If say i joined a line infantry company would i never be allowed to play as sharpshooter, cavalry, or artillery.

Also if i join a Union company will i ever be able to play as a confederate. This im curious about in particular because some of the kickstarter rewards obviously would only be available to one faction.

If these questions have already been answered somewhere could you link me the thread? Thanks.

Hinkel
11-09-2015, 08:41 PM
1) You don't need to form or to be in a company
2) You can play with random people of course!
3) If you are in a company, you can still play as sharpshooter, cavalry
4) If you are in a Yankee company, you can still be a rebel

Its a player organization, to allow to stick together with a band of brothers and to encourage role-play ;)

Macca
11-09-2015, 08:43 PM
Reserving a company is for groups of players / existing clans/regiments in various other games / mods (North & South for Napoleonic Wars most notably) to reserve their regiment company. No one is required to join a regiment - you can play alone on public servers with other public players. The company/regiment aspect is just there for those who want to partake in various styles of events when War of Rights is released. Joining an Infantry regiment for example does not mean you are committed throughout the whole game; you are free to join and leave any regiment whenever you like although it's not great on a players reputation to keep joining and leaving regiments.

What I'd suggest is that you wait for release and try all the in-game classes (infantry, artillery, sharpshooters and cavalry) and if you then are interested in a regiment then base your decision on which one you enjoyed the most. Hope that answered your question.

Willie Fisterbottom
11-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Phew thats good to, i was really thinking "man which side's cause to i wanna join in the game."
Keep up the good work.

stiffstarch
11-20-2015, 10:43 PM
I have a question, actually 2 questions.

1. Can you join more than one regiment, say I want to be in the 20th Maine one day as a volunteer, then the next day want to be in the 3rd U.S. Regulars??

2. I see a lot of the regiments are requiring " historical names"....what is meant by this. Do I make up a name, assume a name of a real soldier in that regiment, or what??... a little confused by the term "historical name"

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jamez
11-20-2015, 10:54 PM
I have a question, actually 2 questions.

1. Can you join more than one regiment, say I want to be in the 20th Maine one day as a volunteer, then the next day want to be in the 3rd U.S. Regulars??

2. I see a lot of the regiments are requiring " historical names"....what is meant by this. Do I make up a name, assume a name of a real soldier in that regiment, or what??... a little confused by the term "historical name"

Thanks for any help you can provide.

A lot of that is dependent on the company you are looking at, most do not allow people to take part in more than one regiment/company.

As for the historical names it is mostly just a realistic name for a person in america at the time but some companies do like to use some of the members names from the regiment for historical accuracy

A. P. Hill
11-20-2015, 11:01 PM
Here is a handy little search engine from the National Park Service in the U.S. that allows you to research your actual family name ... or more. (http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldiers-and-sailors-database.htm)

Happy hunting.

Leifr
11-20-2015, 11:02 PM
1) Companies tend to be run under slightly different directions, and with different 'staff', so to speak. It would be difficult to be a member of two companies and remain constructive for both parties. I'm afraid you'll likely have to choose one or the other, unless you're one for compromising and difficult situations.

2) Simply choose a period appropriate name and format it accordingly. On my own part with my own group, that would involve simply a forename and a surname formatted in the following manner - 'Jim_Digby'. Some groups may do this and choose to also display a Regiment/Company prefix as well.

Hope it helps.

A. P. Hill
11-20-2015, 11:20 PM
Many of the companies folks are creating can be found on the internet. And usually with that finding comes a roster of men. :) A little stroll through the internet often times turns up tons of great information.

Leifr
11-20-2015, 11:22 PM
Very true, although I must state that on my part I feel rather uncomfortable with the purposeful use of another man's identity.

A. P. Hill
11-20-2015, 11:44 PM
Very true, although I must state that on my part I feel rather uncomfortable with the purposeful use of another man's identity.

There is that I suppose. Obviously I don't! :D

Almanza P. Baker
11-21-2015, 10:17 PM
No need to assume another mans name unless you feel the need to. Here on the forums I'm using my great, great, grandfathers name but in game I'm using the name most people I've played with know. I believe what most are looking for when they require historical names is just that you don't use a name like Donkey Dong or some such.

A. P. Hill
11-21-2015, 11:01 PM
THAT was a great video game in it's day ...... OH! Wait you said Dong, not Kong. :p

MadWolf
11-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Here is a handy little search engine from the National Park Service in the U.S. that allows you to research your actual family name ... or more. (http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldiers-and-sailors-database.htm)

Happy hunting.

Really Happy with this link.