Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Union Order of Battle Company Overview

He changed the company to K
    GG America, you had a good run. Cant wait to be slaves of the New Soviet Empire.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    As I said in the CSA postings, I used a 4" phone screen as my source and worked the spreadsheet on the computer monitor. It was quite the undertaking and there are many posts creating and disbanding and recreating again. It could be I got some information incorrect. These documents are living as they are subject to change and revision constantly as you folks cross examine them and make comment to me.

I'll pursue the information about company K and see if there's a conflict.

Thanks.

smiley_salute.gif

USA Captain

Oh? I didn't see his Company on the List of Companies or anything, my mistake.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1689&dateline=1458578  065

USA Captain

Hey Hill, thanks for getting back to me, I've just found the link to his Company D, http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...h+York+Company.

As you can see he changed their Company Designation to K, could you please check that this is correct and that the Order of Battle displays such?

Cheers
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1689&dateline=1458578  065

USA General of the Army

Updated 03-22-2016

USA General of the Army

Updated 03/25/2016

USA Major

Hello,I see there are two 11th PA there, is one of the two actually 11th MA?? Thanks
    Last edited by Isaac; 03-27-2016 at 04:55 AM.

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Hello,I see there are two 11th PA there, is one of the two actually 11th MA?? Thanks
    No Sir, no mistake, however I was able to refine the list and an update will be posted soon. The two 11th PA that are listed are actually, one is the 11th PA Volunteer Infantry, and the other is the 11th PA Reserves.

The 11th MA that you ask about, was part of the III Corps. The III Corps got decimated at Second Manassas and was in no shape to participate in the 1862 Maryland Campaign, and was retained in Washington Defenses to refit and install replacement troops.

USA Captain

Hello, I see that the 62nd NY is not included in your list. However, looking at the Union Order of Battle at Antietam, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiet...rder_of_battle the 62nd NY was part of the IV Corps, 2nd Brigade. My American Civil War knowledge is fairly lacking, so is there a reason for this exclusion? Thanks

USA General of the Army

Greetings Takerith, welcome and congrats on your first post, and a great question! smiley_salute.gif

First, I want to caution you about relying solely on wiki as a source. It's personal preference. In my compilation of the Order of Battle Overviews, I used two very different websites than wiki. The first is the National Park Service webpage for the Battle of Antietam, and secondly, a rather informative private page called Antietam on the web. As you can see from the bibliography of the second site, the writer went to great lengths to compile his page, and well, the Park Service is just that ... the actual historical park which has undertaken extensive research as well.

Now lets address your question as to why I do not list this division on the chart.
    You are correct that the 62nd NY was a part of the IV Corps. And in the capacity of this campaign and battle, only the 1st Division of the IV Corps was used by McClellan's Army. The balance of the IV Corps, the 2nd Division and the 3rd Division remained stationed on the lower peninsula after the peninsular campaign of 1862. Couch's command, the 1st Division, was attached to the VI Corps and under the direction of Franklin.

As such, McClellan sent a portion of his Army to the southwest to keep an eye on what was happening at Harpers Ferry, and to "box in" any confederate units preventing them from coming back on McClellan's rear. Part of the group of units that were assigned this task, were the division of the IV Corps in question.

It is interesting that the NPS site doesn't even mention the IV as part of the Order of Battle for Antietam, while the Antietam on the web site, while listing the IV Corps as part of the VI Corps, notates the unit with a large 'X' which takes us to a foot note on the page which reads: "Unit not present and/or engaged at Antietam on 17 September."

That said, there is also a very interesting marker at the Antietam battlefield, that tablet can be found here.

My knowledge in the American Civil War is lacking as well. That said, I will confess something I discovered while researching your question.
    Going back to the Antietam on the web page and examining their Order of Battle lists, I found that several units that I ended up listing in my Orders of Battle here, actually have an 'X' in front of them, and then comparing that with the NPS orders of battle, find that these units are listed by the NPS. It has needless to say caused a bit of a dilemma in my mind, especially knowing what the 'X' represents at the Antietam on the web site, and yet seeing the rosters listed on the NPS site.

The only satisfying conclusion I can come up with is that while the NPS site lists these units, except for the IV Corps, the NPS based their rosters on Units actually at the field whether they participated in the battle or not, whereas, the Antietam on the web site, listed all units that comprised both Armies yet chose to footnote the exceptions.

That said, please note, I will go back and revise my orders of battle to represent the latter conclusion. I will list all units from both armies as they were at the time, and not make an exception for those who partook of the actual fight or not.

Thank you Takerith for your question.

Powell.