Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: American Civil War Monuments

Most likely "Because they were racists." I'll honestly be surprised if it isn't because 95% of politicians are idiots.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by MadWolf View Post
    Maybe a stupid question but why are there monuments torn down in the first place ??
    because people are offended by anything nowadays, mostly the Millenials are in this group. So i'm gonna urge that you keep the monuments up, as a reminder to our past and what should not happen again

USA 1st Lieutenant

Well as it si the United States they are technically monuments to the enemy

That's true. Though Britain used to be the worst enemy ever for America, now we're buddies.

CSA Lieutenant General

I am speechless when it comes to the campaigns fighting to remove confederate memorials/monuments, it really personally sickens me. The only consolation is that the politicians will (hopefully) see how stupid it was in the far future.

William Wallace was for sure ahead of his time when he said this:

“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevents their history or denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of their own destruction.”

“Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right, a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world”.
    Abraham Lincoln – U.S. Congress, 1847"

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Landree View Post
    This kind of thread reminds me of all the monuments I've helped put up and the ones I'm seeing being torn down. The politicians have no care for the American veterans who these stand for and it makes me sick that people who preach tolerance don't exercize it themselves. If they were made to be taken down, then the founders would've made them of paper and not stone.

Sorry for the rant. It's something that's seriously been bothering me. I've had it with city councils, state reps, and other PC-pandering bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadWolf View Post
    Maybe a stupid question but why are there monuments torn down in the first place ??
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsmithern View Post
    because people are offended by anything nowadays, mostly the Millenials are in this group. So i'm gonna urge that you keep the monuments up, as a reminder to our past and what should not happen again
    Guys, no one feels your animosity about this more than I do.
    That said, there are several reasons for the things we see taking place. While I agree mostly with the thoughts of Michael, there is more to it.
    • First, as with any history, the farther removed from it we get the less and less important it seems to be to the generations that come behind it.

• Second, the belligerents in this "debate" have no desire to be educated correctly. An errant theory was put forth and the ever changing world clings to just about anything that makes it feel better about itself.

• Third, there are politi-cultural ramifications involved in this. The fabric of the American people is changing faster and more rapidly than expected. The influx of immigrants, (both legal and illegal,) into this society have eroded the values and strengths of what made this country great.

• Fourth, there still remain in this country a people who feel they have a score to settle for things that took place over 151 years ago.

• Fifth, the liberalization of generations of young people coming of age in this country. They do not feel the need to be educated on subjects that offend them, (see the thread on "safe places").

With this now bared, I guess the question is what do we do to stop it? How do you teach generations of people who have lived and played the victim card for so long? How do you get new blood into your society to accept what this country had to go through to get where it is today? Or was just 20 years ago?

The sagging disregard for the history of this country can be found in every new face that immigrates into this country. These faces, rather than slowly putting aside their previous lifestyle and adopting or, (to use a Borg term,) be assimilated into the culture and history of their new home. At one time many an immigrant wanted to prove how American they were, many came here, disregarded their past country's culture and adapted to become American, even to the point of forgoing their former native tongue. Try to find that today?

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    Most likely "Because they were racists." I'll honestly be surprised if it isn't because 95% of politicians are idiots.
    I'm sorry? Would you care to clarify your thoughts here?

---

Back on thread topic ...

One of my more favorite monuments can be found here! In a perverse sense of humor I've thought of defacing this monument to make comments about latrines.

That probably wasn't too clear. In terms of politicians/government, many completely uneducated (just as in this situation, and sometimes this exact situation) requests, demands and statements are simply thrown around. Situations like the whole Confederate Flag mass banning a few years back are also relevant. While maybe companies, and in this case politicians, didn't start it, they will follow in it simply because the masses do, and act on it (banning the Confederate flag, and here perhaps removing a statue) with no education of the topic or rational thought.

If that makes that any more sensible. My original post was actually quite like yours, though nowhere near as descriptive and, I'll agree, a lot less clear.

CSA Major

I rather like the newly revealed Mississippi monument and the Tennessee monument in Shiloh.

--

When I went to the Memphis City Council meeting, the people who wanted to tear down Forrest's monument (and tomb) were openly communist or black power types. The NAACP in 1999 voted to destroy everything Confederate... the shooting in Charleston being their excuse to launch an all-out campaign against the soldier's flag and southern military heritage.

Just scroll to pages 39-40 to see it for yourself. http://action.naacp.org/page/-/Polic...ook_5_9_07.pdf

It hurts to have not just a group, but a popular & majority culture that seeks the complete destruction of the culture I was born and raised in. I've lived in other areas other than the South and I heard it all the time. Milennials desire the blood of "rednecks", "hicks", and "good ol' boys".
    Second Lieutenant Douglas L. Landree
    Platoon Commander
    30th VA Vol. Inf. Regt. Co. A "Washington Guards"

USA Lieutenant Colonel

This is another one I really like. Monument to Richard Rowland Kirkland of Co. G 2nd South Carolina Volunteers.
    "The Union..., Must and Shall be Preserved, cost what it may in time, treasure, and blood."- George B. McClellan
    "The Union forever, hurrah boys hurrah, down with the traitors and up with the stars."

This might get called spam but here's a website to help stop this from happening.

takebackourhistory.com