Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: 25-05-2016 twenty-eight field report: Drill Camp releases today!

USA Sergeant

Hey I just realized an inaccuracy. The 1st U.S Sharpshooter's buttons are wrong! They had rubber goodyear buttons so the reflection wouldn't give away their position.
    In fact they weren't allowed to have a single bit of brass or other shiny metals on their uniform either! Everything from their rifles to their canteens were either given a blue or brown finish so it didn't shine or was made from a different material.
    Last edited by crazychester1247; 07-28-2016 at 06:03 AM.

Pvt. William J. Sadowski

Quote Originally Posted by crazychester1247 View Post
    Hey I just realized an inaccuracy. The 1st U.S Sharpshooter's buttons are wrong! They had rubber goodyear buttons so the reflection wouldn't give away their position.
    In fact they weren't allowed to have a single bit of brass or other shiny metals on their uniform either! Everything from their rifles to their canteens were either given a blue or brown finish so it didn't shine or was made from a different material.
    That is only correct to some extent. They used rubber buttons (or wood buttons as the example in The Smithsonian has), however, they were issued normal leathers (brass breast plate and belt buckle included) and if you look up some of the descriptions of them you'll notice that they were really all but a uniformly looking unit by as early as december 1862 a reviewing officer wrote that "they were perfect slouches and slovens in appearance [of whom] no two are uniformed alike." By 1863 most, if not all used regular sack coats instead of their well known dark green frocks. There are even discussions going on about the possibility of there being no green berdan sharpshooter present during the battle of Gettysburg. Needless to say, our sharpshooters will reflect this in the game also.

- Trusty

USA General of the Army

I had always suspected that the removal of brass was up to the soldier. Like Trusty said, the uniforms were issued with brass, as can be seen here. The blue uniforms would have been treated in the same manner, some would have cut the buttons off and replaced them with a non reflective style, others would have left them alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    I had always suspected that the removal of brass was up to the soldier. Like Trusty said, the uniforms were issued with brass, as can be seen here. The blue uniforms would have been treated in the same manner, some would have cut the buttons off and replaced them with a non reflective style, others would have left them alone.
    That is the smithsonian example I mentioned earlier. I believe those are wooden buttons actually.

- Trusty

USA General of the Army

I thought I read brass in the description, but after zooming WAY in I can see they are wood. I've never seen wooden buttons with an eagle on them. That's what made me think they were brass.