Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crawling Off the Battlefield

USA Captain

Crawling Off the Battlefield

I've seen this topic almost beaten to death (quite literally), but one thing I didn't see is something as simple as before you die having the ability to crawl around wounded and then die. Like once shot you will die and you cannot be revived. You can either opt to respawn and skip it or crawl around wounded and bleeding on the battlefield for 30 seconds or something. Just seeing the aftermath of the battle in the movie Gettysburg sets the horrific tone of battle. Seeing men crawling around the battlefield wounded. Writhing in pain. I'm sure it would be interesting to have a few different actions with wounded players who do opt to take the 30-seconds or so before respawn to crawl around adding to the ambient environment.

I dunno, just late night thinking out loud.

Ugly
    10th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Co. F
    February 10, 1862 – August 1, 1865

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Now this is different from the other threads, where you get revived or healed or whatever. But seeing the battle play out as you die for a few seconds would be cool, kinda like in verdun, when you die you see the location you were in for s brief time. I could see this happining after early access is available maybe...
    CSheffield
    "Captain Fork"

-Farbs must be destroyed

CSA Major

Well if the time youd spend crawling is the same youd spend looking at a respawn screen it could work.

USA Captain

*Standing in line, this is it, we finally caught up to the rebels. We have been hunting them for days but now we stand face to face in an open field, not many from either troop will survive this battle. The sword of an enemy commander went up in the air, second later we had barrels pointed at our line. Then, puffs of smoke followed by the deafening sound of gunfire and of course, lead. A third of our men went down, most weren't even granted a merciful death and were still writhing in pain, their hands clutching whatever they could as they cried helplessly for help or their loved ones. The moans, those god awful moans are filled with enough pain to make even the most hardened veteran think twice before stepping into line. 'AT THE READY'. Now, it is our turn.*

Yes, I am very much bored.
    Last edited by KaizerLeviath; 08-13-2016 at 08:29 PM.
    O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
    The ship has weathered every rack, the prize we sought is won,
    The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
    While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
    But O heart! heart! heart!
    O the bleeding drops of red,
    Where on the deck my Captain lies,
    Fallen cold and dead.

Segment from "O captain! My captain!" by Walt Whitman (1819-1892)

USA Brigadier General

Actually I think this would be a good idea, what if instead of a waiting on the respawn you crawl around the battlefield until you are respawn. This would give the player something to do and it could also just be a random occurrence, so that if you get shot in the head you aren't seen crawling around, but those shot in the leg and are unable to fight, they can just crawl around. And hey the enemy can even shoot the crawling people for kicks

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsmithern View Post
    Actually I think this would be a good idea, what if instead of a waiting on the respawn you crawl around the battlefield until you are respawn. This would give the player something to do and it could also just be a random occurrence, so that if you get shot in the head you aren't seen crawling around, but those shot in the leg and are unable to fight, they can just crawl around. And hey the enemy can even shoot the crawling people for kicks
    This exact thing has been discussed internally. It is something we possibly would like to add at some point.

- Trusty

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    This exact thing has been discussed internally. It is something we possibly would like to add at some point.

- Trusty
    Interesting

USA Captain

I'd love to see something like this in the game! It would provide more realism than if you just died on the spot. Say, you get shot in the leg. You shouldn't die imminently if you get shot in the leg. Not realistic. If you get shot in the leg and die a slow, agonizing death by internal hemorrhaging and blood loss then yeah, that's more realistic. Also, I would like to see blood smears appear on the ground when you move around during this period of time for very obvious reasons.

USA Captain

I think it's important that if it is implemented, and hopefully this has already been discussed among Devs, that it is kept simple. If hit tracking is implemented then yes, I suppose if a kill shot is taken by a player then they'd auto-respawn without the ability to "crawl around." If someone is wounded in the extremities or torso and is not registered as an auto-kill shot then they can either opt to skip the 30-sec respawn time to crawl around or take that time to crawl around the battlefield. If no hit register then everyone gets the option regardless of where they were hit. Once shot and killed you can either crawl around or opt to skip and respawn, simple.

I'd also like to see bodies laying for extended periods of time before disappearing. Of course this takes computing resources and might not be feasible. In the game Verdun they executed this feature flawlessly to recreate the horror and volume of casualties during WWI. It would be a sight to see in game where a line took a volley and fell in the field. Reminiscent of Total War.
    10th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Co. F
    February 10, 1862 – August 1, 1865

USA Lieutenant General

I do believe that there needs to be some sort of wounding system. Because a shot to the arm or leg shouldnt kill you.