View Poll Results: Should War of Rights Have an option for the Rebel Yell and Yankee Hurrah?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, War of Rights needs for added realism

55 74.32%
  • No, War of Rights does not need

3 4.05%
  • I do not care or I'll screem myself while playing

16 21.62%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rebel Yell and Yankee Hurrah to add realism to War of Rights

CSA Captain

I would like to see the addition of the rebel yell, it's such a famous part of the war. It's an icon of the South. I certainly wouldn't want to hear a bunch of people trying to "rebel yell" through mica. It would be really distasteful dye to varying mic performance and the fact that very few even know what a real rebel yell sounds like. It's not like fox yips than an actual holler. Just my thoughts.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot

USA Captain

I'd love to see this implemented. It would be nice for the game to do the yell for you while charging instead of you doing it yourself.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Greene View Post
    I'd love to see this implemented. It would be nice for the game to do the yell for you while charging instead of you doing it yourself.
    Agreed.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Rawlings View Post
    It's not like fox yips than an actual holler.
    It's sounds more like a coyote than anything else, there's also more than one style of yell, some of the yells vary by state and some have more of an indian war cry style to them.

The sad thing is we don't know all the different variation of yells. I've read the yell described as a hound dog howl, indian war cry, scottish war cry, coyote, rabbit scream, etc. There are so many variations and styles to the yell and I hope to see a few in-game. (Mostly the coyote and indian war cry for starters)
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    It's sounds more like a coyote than anything else, there's also more than one style of yell, some of the yells vary by state and some have more of an indian war cry style to them.

The sad thing is we don't know all the different variation of yells. I've read the yell described as a hound dog howl, indian war cry, scottish war cry, coyote, rabbit scream, etc. There are so many variations and styles to the yell and I hope to see a few in-game. (Mostly the coyote and indian war cry for starters)

Yeah, there are variations for sure. Here's a link to an actual confederate who was interviewed in the early 1900s giving a rebel yell: http://www.26nc.org/History/Rebel-Yell/rebel-yell.html

Oh and I meant "more like fox nips" not "not like fox nips"
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post

I voted for this for many of the reasons already stated by previous posts that are in favour. I could try yelling into the microphone, but would get laughed offline quite rapidly. Also, I've got to be fairly considerate of those around me as well - sound proofing would be required. Any attempt to half heartedly try it would just be a waist of lung power and quite frankly make people never do it again, in my humble opinion.

Like to know two things if this gets taken on:

- Would the "Yells" be heard by other users from a much further distance away? Currently there is a distance restriction.
    - Would there be different yells for different Companies? As mentioned by Legion above. He makes a good point and it would be fantastic in a large line battle to pickup on different company charges.
    Pvt. Kenah

For Southern Secession

CSA Major

It would seem the wisest option to have a variety of yells accorded to their respective States (or as close as one can hazard a guess), and to then have it bound to a button that is activated either by the player or by the player when they're in melee mode (bayonet leveled). I would not want it to be randomly activated; Red Orchestra II featured such a choice in sound design and frankly it was rather annoying. One could not edge towards the enemy for hazard of their player-avatar suddenly remembering his favourite verse of Anna Karenina and reciting out aloud. Now, who among you here would truly love such a thing happening here?

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    It would seem the wisest option to have a variety of yells accorded to their respective States (or as close as one can hazard a guess), and to then have it bound to a button that is activated either by the player or by the player when they're in melee mode (bayonet leveled). I would not want it to be randomly activated; Red Orchestra II featured such a choice in sound design and frankly it was rather annoying. One could not edge towards the enemy for hazard of their player-avatar suddenly remembering his favourite verse of Anna Karenina and reciting out aloud. Now, who among you here would truly love such a thing happening here?
    Totally agree, random activation would not be a good choice if implemented. I like the restriction to use said "yell" button only during melee mode/fixed bayonet use only.
    Pvt. Kenah

For Southern Secession

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by MK81 View Post
    Totally agree, random activation would not be a good choice if implemented. I like the restriction to use said "yell" button only during melee mode/fixed bayonet use only.
    I disagree with the restriction. It was used in other occasions as well but mostly when charging. I think it should just be bound to a button so the player can activate it at will. Company commanders could always keep the men from using at random.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Major

Can they? Last I checked, company commanders couldn't keep NW folk from repeatedly playing drums, fifes and yells!