Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 8th Virginia Infantry Regiment, Co.H - "The Potomac Greys"

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    A warm welcome to Mr Peter B.Smith to Company 'H' of the 8th Virginia, whom has collected his enlistment bounty in Lynchburg and is now defending hearth and home!

To the honourable Captain Digby, H company, 8th Virginia regiment.

Sir,
    Though it pains me immensely that our great and noble nation should tear itself apart in such a brutal and savage manner, in this descent into armed conflict, I cannot in good conscience side with an aggressor who would put first their laws and demands above the freedom of the common man. I denounce forthwith the aggression shown by the federal government and it's puppet figurehead President Lincoln, I proclaim that I shall enlist at once in the great army of Virginia and serve my beloved home in this our second war of independence.
    My rifle and my life are yours sir, I ask only that you lead me to glory in the service of our new nation.
    Yours sincerely and respectfully
    P.B. Smith.
    Last edited by Melonfish; 11-26-2018 at 06:30 PM.

CSA Sergeant

I've not met Glory. Which one is she? She must be popular, as they keep saying her name before shouting "Hallelujah".

Welcome, Private Smith; stay safe and keep your powder dry.

CSA Major

William E. Taylor of Leesburg has lodged his enlistment paper with Company 'H' of the 8th Virginia. His enlistment bounty of $25 has henceforth been paid, his personage being kept under arms for the next three years. I trust that he will find good lodgings with the Company, and that he may prove an able-bodied man upon the field. Godspeed!

CSA Captain

By god, I'll be using that bounty on a little lady in Maryland. A joy to be with the Greys, Captain.

RhettVito
    Well looks like the 72ndPA and 8th VA fired at one another lol!

On May 7, 1862, the 72nd Pennsylvania embarked on transports and proceeded up the York River to West Point. Debarking from their vessels, the regiment moved to the banks of the Chickahominy River. The Philadelphia Brigade now formed a part of Sedgwick's Division, of Sumner's II Corps. The 72nd Pennsylvania then participated in the Battle of Seven Pines, AKA Fair Oaks, fought on May 31 - June 1, 1862. The Philadelphia Brigade formed line on the right of the First Brigade, the 72nd on the right of the 71st Pennsylvania. As no hostile force appeared, the brigade was moved by the flank and changed front, which brought it upon the enemy's flank and forced him to fall back from his position in the cleared field and into the woods.

Ricketts' Battery was now advanced, and the regiment was posted to repel attacks by the 8th Virginia Infantry, the same regiment that had defeated them at Ball's Bluff seven months earlier. The 8th Virginia soldiers charged the positions of Ricketts' Battery, but the 72nd Pennsylvania unleashed a devastating volley upon their soldiers, repulsing them. For about an hour, the 72nd Pennsylvania and the 8th Virginia exchanged volleys at one another across the fields, with losses low but steady on both regiments. Finally, the battle ended inconclusively with neither side gaining an advantage over the other. After the battle lines were advanced and fortified, stretching from the Chickahominy River away towards White Oak Swamp. For a month, the 72nd Pennsylvania remained upon this line, the enemy in front, and his sharpshooters keeping up a constant fusillade of fire.

CSA Major

Aha, most excellent! At some point between Gaines's Mill and Antietam the 8th Virginia was whittled down to some 34 men(!).

---

I would also like to take this moment to welcome John Cooper and Armin Schlatter to the Company. These men have expressed an interest locally in enlistment but had, until now, dallied on the signing of their papers. Both are to be admitted and mustered with due haste, battle is afoot!

CSA Colonel

I hear tell that there is a legitimate Virginian amongst you. Is that true?

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleD11B View Post
    I hear tell that there is a legitimate Virginian amongst you. Is that true?
    It is true.

CSA Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    It is true.
    I too am a legitimate Virginian, I'm looking forward to meeting your company in game!

CSA Sergeant

We will look forward to seeing you on the field of battle, Master SteeleD11B.

I think I can speak on behalf of Captain Digby and the rest of Co. H in welcoming our newest recruits and thanking them on the élan they've brought to our ranks. As Sergeant, I would also like to congratuate the Company as a whole for their improvement in skirmishing and marksmanship; those Yankee flagbearers are certainly in trouble when they're in your sights.