Thread: Company Tool Biographys

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Company Tool Biographys

This thread is too show off your soldier's biographies. If you've got a good one, post below. Its alot easier to read here than on the actual tool

p.s. Try and only post those that are somewhat serious. No joke ones please.
    Last edited by J.Stockton; 10-18-2016 at 04:01 AM.
    Join Today
    Click Above

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Ill go first

James Stockton came from an acclaimed military lineage. His great grandfather, Major Alexander Stockton, commanded a regiment in the Revolutionary War, and his father Robert Stockton fought in the Texas War of Independence before serving as a U.S. Representative. James attended West Point, where he graduated 46th of 46 in 1854.

In his U.S. service, Stockton was involved in several Indian conflicts. He received high praise for his actions during the “Bleeding Kansas” incident at the Kansas-Missouri border. Stockton had a bright military future ahead of him however he met Sarah McLeod, the only daughter of a wealthy Georgia land owner, and he they moved back to Stockton's home State of Texas.

Stockton spent the next few years settling his new family on his ranch. On May 16, 1861 the 1st Texas Infantry regiment called for able volunteers to join the cause. Stockton could not abide letting his friends, neighbors, and family members march to the defense of the Confederacy while he stayed behind.

James Stockton of Anderson County, Texas gathered his gear and meet Col. Louis T. Wigfall in New Orleans where due to his military history and his father-in-law's[LtCol Hugh McLeod] influence, he was assigned to the command of Company H, "Texas Guard".

On June 27, 1862 at the Battle of Gaines Mill shortly after dark, the Hoods Brigade mounted an attack, poorly coordinated, but this time collapsing the Federal line. Captain Stockton was seen leading his men, sword drawn, driving them onward with his already famous fiery personality. Due to these actions and to some extent his bright red hair, the men of company H began calling him "Ol' Red". This nickname spread through out the regemint and James, always ready for a laugh, thought it was one of the funniest things he had ever heard.

Captain James Stockton continued to gain reputation through out the early part of the war. On the morning of September 17 just out side of Sharpsburg, Maryland, the men of the First, Fourth, and Fifth Texas Infantry regiments were held in reserve and attempting to cook breakfast as the fighting opened near Antietam Creek. Stockton's breakfast was abruptly interrupted when the Federal army launched an assault on the Confederate left flank. Hood’s Brigade fell into formation and marched north, passing wounded and frightened Confederates streaming to the rear. Emerging from the woods in the vicinity of the Dunker Church the Texans were ordered forward in a counterattack. The Lone Star soldiers launched a ferocious assault through a cornfield, driving Federal units before them. The attack eventually foundered in the face of intense artillery and musket fire. Captain Stockton was struck in the left thigh, but refused to leave the field until he was struck again in the shoulder, losing consciousness. The Texans stubbornly attempted to move forward, but massive casualties decimated their ranks. Eventually Hood’s Brigade was forced to withdraw under heavy fire. When the Texas Brigade regrouped and counted their losses, it was determined that over 550 of the brigade’s 850 soldiers had been killed, wounded, or captured. Captain Stockton would recover from his wounds, however Major Dale Matt of the 1st Texas was fatally shot on the battlefield. In the coming weeks, Captain James Stockton would be promoted to the rank of Major.

For the next few years, "Ol' Red" continued to lead his men exceptionally. From the fields of Gettysburg to the Wilderness of Spotsylvania, men began to recognize the bright red hair and large personality of the 1st Texas Major. Some Federal officers that Stockton had once served with had even gone as far as calling him "that red haired devil".

By the Spring of 1865, like many other Confederate and Union officers, Major James Stockton had grown weary of fighting. In one of the many letters Major Stockton wrote back to his wife, he said:

April 6th, 1865 Near Farmville, Virgina

My Dearest Sarah,
    I think about you and the children everyday. I pray every morning and every night that God will allow me to return to my beloved Texas and see my children grow. It seems that God has answered my prayers, there is talk through out the army that General Lee will surrender soon as the army is in full retreat. By the time you are reading this, I may already be near home. I cannot wait to hold you in my arms again. My heart has grown heavy in your absence, but I know that once I have returned to Texas God will smile upon us.
    Your Loving Husband,
    James

On April 7 Longstreet's Confederate forces held off the Union Army advance near Farmville, crossed the Appomattox River and continued their retreat on the north side of the river. The 1st Texas was at the rear of Longstreets column and Major Stockton volunteered to lead the rear guard action. Once Major Stockton was certain the last of the regiments had retreated safely he order the rear guard to withdraw. However, a Union sharpshooter saw a bright red target on horse back, leveled his rifle and pulled the trigger. Major James Stockton was struck in the chest killing him instantly. Major James "Ol' Red" Stockton would never see Texas again. He was buried near Appomattox Station, Virginia under a large peach tree.

That night, Lee received from Grant, then headquartered at Farmville, a letter proposing that the Army of Northern Virginia should surrender. Lee demurred, retaining one last hope that his army could get to Appomattox Station before he was trapped. He returned a noncommittal letter asking about the surrender terms Grant might propose. And on April 9, 1865, Lee surrendered his army at 3 p.m., accepting the terms Grant had proposed by letter the previous day. The War of Northern Aggression was over, but not everyone would be returning home.
    Last edited by J.Stockton; 10-18-2016 at 03:53 AM.
    Join Today
    Click Above

CSA Captain

Mine-

The only son of a german immigrant to Minnesota, Mj Koenigsdorf was well on his way to learning the trade of gunsmithing and continuing the legacy of german engineering into his 20's when an accident happened.

While testing a rifle he had made, MJ's father died due to a catastrophic failure, causing the rifle to malfunction and explode.The small hamlet in the Koenigsdorf name he left to his wife, who remarried to a baker. Mj's now step-father was insufferable. The scone, in MJ's eyes, was simply inferior to the smith. So MJ left. Leaving Minnesota looking for a new life.
    MJ got on a train going to anywhere. Green bay was too cheesy. Detroit, too busy. St louis was full of dreamers. MJ eventually found his way farther and farther south. Coming to a stop at Anderson, Texas. The guys here loved their guns, so he started a shop. Der Gewehr auf Anderson. The small company thrived, as MJ made Gun after gun for the Texans. The young german was sought after for his workmanship, and befriended many a man in his new home.

He heard on occasion of the happenings to the east, a "rebellion" they called it. and seeing so many of his former customers join the cause, Mj thought, eh, Fuck it. and signed up for the confederate army.

USA Captain

Alexander Jonathan Greene is the studious, clean shaven, and gentleman of humble beginnings. The first born child of his beautiful mother, Mary Cunningham from Boston and small business owner Timothy Greene, Greene grew up as the middle child with caring parents who were able to raise him and his older brother and younger sister comfortably.

Unlike his older brother and younger sister, Alexander was quite wild and unruly during his childhood. While Timothy Jr. and Natalie Greene were able to sit quite comfortably in the one room school house, Alexander was the one constantly disrupting the class, telling jokes, and making a scene. Oftentimes after school, Alexander and his many childhood friends would roam the streets of Milwaukee, causing quite a bit of disruption and mischief. The law enforcement in Milwaukee remember Greene quite fondly as he was often joking around with the officers bringing him home. Needless to say, Alexander's parents didn't take kindly to this behavior and often punished Alexander severely after hearing reports of disruption from his teacher or the police. While Greene would remain popular with "the gang", as he called his group of six boys, and the other teens, Greene would grow out of his childishness and become a kindhearted gentleman who actually thought before he acted.

Alexander comes from a very esteemed military background on the Greene side of his family. His great great grandfather was the famed general Nathaniel Greene from the American Revolution. All of his ancestors on this side of the Atlantic have all served in the Army at one point or another. His father, like many of his brothers and uncles, served in the Mexican-American War as a Sergeant. He would tell Alexander and his siblings stories of the battles he had seen and the bloodshed he had witness while conquering the Mexican countryside. He would also push Alexander and his brother, Timothy Jr., into military service when the Union began raising regiments for the task of waging a war on the South. After a slight hesitation, as he is currently courting a lovely young woman named Eileen Stewart, he joins up with the 7th Wisconsin and is assigned to company A. Alexander fits wonderfully into the life of a soldier and he rises quickly through the ranks to the position of Captain. Alexander and the 7th have yet to go into battle but history will see what is in store for this young gentleman in the coming years...

CSA Captain

Well not much, but here's mine.

Born in Copenhagen Denmark, the son of a serving Jæger in the danish army choosing the military as an occupation was an easy choice, serving in the danish war against Germany in 1849 with the 2nd Jæger Rgt. Then moving to the state of Virginia and acquiring a bar near Gosport Navy Yard using the savings he had, and quickly falling in with the sentiment of states rights or lack thereof. so now joining the Virginia volunteers for a cause of freedom.

USA Brigadier General

Born in Baltimore, Maryland in 1820, enlisted in the 2nd Maryland as a Sergeant and Appointed First Sergeant for Company B.
    First Sergeant Joseph P. Brevett of Company B, 2nd Maryland Infantry

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;- William Shakespeare, Henry V

A Good Resource for The Maryland Campaign