Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the bayonet decrease accuracy

Does the bayonet decrease accuracy

I went to the shooting range to test accuracy of the weapons, and I can't tell if the bayonet has any significant debuff to the accuracy. If the answer is no I feel like it should make the gun shake just a bit more, never really getting steady.
    Last edited by Gungo the Lungo; 10-20-2016 at 11:17 PM.

I feel like it shouldnt, as bayonets have basically no effect on accuracy in real life.

Source: I own an enfield and a bayonet to go with it, and I'm sure many other people will be able to attest to my claim.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

It about doubles the sway at the moment. We want it to be a tool only used in certain situations. Have no penalty and people might as well never take them off.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    It about doubles the sway at the moment. We want it to be a tool only used in certain situations. Have no penalty and people might as well never take them off.
    What happened to realism?

Not only is sway completely unrealistic, double sway when the bayonet is fixed is even less realistic.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post

Not only is sway completely unrealistic, double sway when the bayonet is fixed is even less realistic.
    The bayonet adds about a pound or two of weight. Then use "real" physics to figure out that adding a couple pounds at the end of the rifle will make that rifle feel much heavier than it is. Weight= fatigue=weapon sway. I think they have realism in mind here.
    Last edited by [RG]Chewie; 10-21-2016 at 12:57 AM.

Sway is not realistic. Drooping is, but not sway. They should replace the sway system with what I have suggested before: You lose stamina the longer you aim, and the less stamina you have, the more your muzzle droops. This would both be more realistic, and give challange to aiming, rather than having to just wait for accuracy.

CSA Major

Sway is not realistic. Drooping is, but not sway. They should replace the sway system with what I have suggested before: You lose stamina the longer you aim, and the less stamina you have, the more your muzzle droops. This would both be more realistic, and give challange to aiming, rather than having to just wait for accuracy.
    Sway is realistic I'm afraid. It's not crazy like it is in-game but it is real. You can't hold a rifle completely steady, there will always be some movement.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

The realism card, eh? There are other factors at play when designing a game than just copying the real life counterpart since WoR is a game and not real life. If you give zero sway overall and just make the rifle drop quicker than without the bayonet it will result in much less realistic situations and then you'll come right back at me with the same question; what happened to realism.

We're designing the game in such a way to hopefully get as accurate battles and player behavior as possible - Gaming peripherals are very accurate things, that is why we use them. By removing sway and replacing it with a drop-esque aiming stamina system we're well on our way to the wild west quick draw duel types of gameplay where reaction wins over patience.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Sway is realistic I'm afraid. It's not crazy like it is in-game but it is real. You can't hold a rifle completely steady, there will always be some movement.

Well, of course. Sorry if that didnt seem clear, however I meant moreso in the context of the game.

@Trusty

It's not so much about it being completely realistic for me as it is the absurd sway, and it being doubled with a bayonet fixed, is ridiculous. I couldnt see a drooping mechanic be that game changing, as if done right, it would only really kick in at 10ish seconds at lower stamina. Instead of sway you could also slightly move, in a random direction, where the player is looking during the reload, meaning they would have to adjust their aim each shot. This would work especially well after lines have traded 1-2 volleys: You cant see your target through the smoke, eliminating the need for sway.

And, of course, napoleonic warfare is less so about accuracy, moreso about getting shots off.

USA Major

Honestly if the bayonet didn't decrease accuracy i don't think there would be a reason to ever remove it. So the fact that it is detachable should give us a hint.