Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 61

Thread: How will bigger units than companies work?

  1. #51

    USA Captain

    zerosius's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancisM View Post
    I think he means that, say, 54th Company A, 25th Company C and 4th Cavalry Company D can't form a single unit together without forming their respective regiments first.
    Indeed. What if we have 52nd Companies A-E formed, of which only Company A wants to work together and create a bigger unit with the rest of the associated units, who are facing the same problems?
    There might be a 52nd New York regiment being formed, but with up to 4/5 of the people in it, and with a fair chance, the elected colonel not wanting to have anything to do with the German Volunteers. That means it will impossible for the 52nd Company A to join up with the rest of the companies in our "out of tool" association into a bigger unit.
    Last edited by zerosius; 10-27-2016 at 04:34 PM.






    Cpt. William Hexamer
    Battery Commander


    Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers


  2. #52

    USA Captain

    General. Jackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancisM View Post
    So what if there are three companies who like eachother that want to form a single unit, and three other companies of the same historical regiment who want to form a single unit, but they hate eachother?

    It's somewhat foolhardy to assume that everyone is going to act, vote and press unhappy buttons based on their own personal happiness. As with every game and gaming community, there will be a bunch of casuals plus a core of very active players in the command positions. I can already see regiments forbidding their members from pressing the unhappy button to avoid mutinies, or demoted people rallying up the regiment in a coup. I'll admit that I find the system very interesting and I am looking forward in seeing how it will work once the game really releases, but when designing the system, you should assume that while most regiments won't experience problems, everything that could theoretically go wrong, will eventually go wrong.
    I also agree with this.

  3. #53

    USA Captain

    zerosius's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by zerosius View Post
    Indeed. What if we have 52nd Companies A-E formed, of which only Company A wants to work together and create a bigger unit with the rest of the associated units, who are facing the same problems?
    There might be a 52nd New York regiment being formed, but with up to 4/5 of the people in it, and with a fair chance, the elected colonel not wanting to have anything to do with the German Volunteers. That means it will impossible for the 52nd Company A to join up with the rest of the companies in our "out of tool" association into a bigger unit.
    Any Input from the devs on this?






    Cpt. William Hexamer
    Battery Commander


    Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers


  4. #54

    USA Captain

    General. Jackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    266
    I honestly believe that when someone request form company and 3 leaders from CO. A, B & C Accept are a large unit that have relations with each other and poor old company D is having to be thrown in with them and he wants nothing to do with them at all as he has no relations besides a company name and a new leader he doesn't care for. IMO it's a little silly, if we're going with companies from the start lets stick to companies and battalions and such that want affiliation. We dont need to form regiments unless you're apart of those groups that are affiliated.

  5. #55
    FrancisM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of the Netherlands
    Posts
    112
    There's also the question on how relevant the entire batallion structure will be - Great if we have batallions of a 100 players or more, but will our servers actually be able to handle that? How big are the servers in the Alpha anyway, and how big can we expect them to be?

  6. #56

    USA Lieutenant Colonel

    David Dire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    America
    Posts
    535
    The larger server size is, also, the less players that will be able to run it on a full server and the less players that will be able to run as well as they can now. Both lag and players' systems' should be taken into account.

    Sergeant Alexander Graf
    52nd New York Volunteer Infantry


  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancisM View Post
    There's also the question on how relevant the entire batallion structure will be - Great if we have batallions of a 100 players or more, but will our servers actually be able to handle that? How big are the servers in the Alpha anyway, and how big can we expect them to be?
    That's one very important question here, I'ld be interested in how the serversystem is actually going to work.






    First Sergeant James T. Forester


    Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers


  8. #58

    USA Brigadier General

    michaelsmithern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Statesville, North Carolina
    Posts
    830
    it'll be interesting to see... i can see some infighting with the battalion/regiment level business but since the way it was described basically says that the regimental commander can put the regiment into one brigade of his/her choosing, so the brigades don't need to be historical, Example: the 1st Minnesota is historically part of Gormans Brigade, but from what i read it's going to allow me to Join Christ's Brigade so were all together in one brigade even though my regiment would come from a completely different Corp.

    If i got any of that wrong feel free to correct and explain it, as i'm just going off the conversations between Hinkel and the other users.
    1st Minnesota, Sergeant Michaelsmithern, Company B

  9. #59

    Question Just a understanding

    Say you have a bunch of companies a total of 10. Now it is a good size for a brigade. How in depth are we looking at the rank structure. I.e. Brigade Co's to regiment/Battlions down to companies. So to set up a Brigade, would we have to have the staff at the brigade level and the Battalion level or just at the brigade level? For in game purposes that is.

  10. #60

    USA Brigadier General

    michaelsmithern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Statesville, North Carolina
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudate View Post
    Say you have a bunch of companies a total of 10. Now it is a good size for a brigade. How in depth are we looking at the rank structure. I.e. Brigade Co's to regiment/Battlions down to companies. So to set up a Brigade, would we have to have the staff at the brigade level and the Battalion level or just at the brigade level? For in game purposes that is.
    from what i've heard, it will be 2 -5 companies for a battalion, a battalion lead by a Major - Colonel, 2 Battalions with make up a regiment, A regiment being lead by a Colonel. 2-5 Regiments for a Brigade, led by a Brigadier General. Now as for Regiment/Battalion level management this will be based on companies that make up those regiments and only companies that were in the same regiment can form that same regiment, for instance you will not be able to have a 3rd Arkansas company, with a 1st Virginia Company, you will instead need 2 or more companies from that regiment to in a sense "merge" and establish a regiment together.

    Now this is just what i've heard, it isn't 100% correct and may very well change in the future. From my point of view, this may screw with some of the established brigades/divisions/armys, as some of them just have a rag tag group of companies from different regiments.
    1st Minnesota, Sergeant Michaelsmithern, Company B

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •