Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading - An active mechanic?

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Sweetroll View Post
    Something we have considered for the future is allowing players to look atound with the mouse at all times while reloading. But if you arent looking at what the hands are doing. Then the character will be loading the rifle more slowly. And as you look back on the hands. The reload will start speeding up again
    I think that is an interesting concept. When I am loading my Enfield, I don't find that I slow down any even if I had a blindfold on, though. I find that with experience it becomes muscle memory, and load times do not suffer noticeably when not looking at your rifle. The only time I find that loading suffers some (and mainly the amount of powder that actually gets in the barrel) is when loading while running. That's my take.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by TooL View Post
    75 caliber musket
    69 caliber bullet
    It is standard for all military muskets of the 18th century.
    Springfield Model 1842 - could probably use a similar animation.
    Moreover, some units during the Civil War were fully armed with M1842.
    The M1842 used during the war was not a flintlock but a percussionlock.

There is no information about the size of the bullet in the clip. So we don't know if he used a 69caliber or something smaller.
    There is no information if the weapon was clean before he did it.
    There is no information if he is using an original or replica. (but I would think it is a replica)
    There is no information on how much powder he use.
    It don't tell us how much lower the velocity is. compared to loading it correctly. (but Iam sure it is lower)

There are some youtube channels about the use of military blackpowder firearms where they do give sufficient information that I think they can be usefull in debating things like this.
    (britishmuzzleloaders and capandball)

But this clip is not one of them.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

CSA Captain

I am against this mechanism too, it gets annoying after some time
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Sweetroll View Post
    Something we have considered for the future is allowing players to look atound with the mouse at all times while reloading. But if you arent looking at what the hands are doing. Then the character will be loading the rifle more slowly. And as you look back on the hands. The reload will start speeding up again
    That I like
    Col. Hatcher
    Adjutant, Drayton's Brigade

In Memoriam of my Confederate Ancestors:

Lt. General Nathan Bedford Forrest, Major William H. Forrest, Lt. Col. Aaron Forrest, Col. Jeffrey Forrest, Lt. Col. Jesse Forrest, Captain James M. Cathey, Harrison Haynes, Harper Haynes, Jopseh Martin, William G. Hatcher, John A. Hatcher, John J. Hatcher, D. Wesley Hatcher, James L. Hatcher

Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    The M1842 used during the war was not a flintlock but a percussionlock.

There is no information about the size of the bullet in the clip. So we don't know if he used a 69caliber or something smaller.
    There is no information if the weapon was clean before he did it.
    There is no information if he is using an original or replica. (but I would think it is a replica)
    There is no information on how much powder he use.
    It don't tell us how much lower the velocity is. compared to loading it correctly. (but Iam sure it is lower)

There are some youtube channels about the use of military blackpowder firearms where they do give sufficient information that I think they can be usefull in debating things like this.
    (britishmuzzleloaders and capandball)

But this clip is not one of them.
    In the commentary he wrote that shoots standard 69 caliber bullet and a standard charge.
    For you, is a historic discovery that the round bullet was smaller caliber barrel? Then I advise you to study materiel, and then to enter into dialogue.
    Musket can be recharged without cleaning rod and used it in an emergency. As evidenced by historical sources and modern renovation. Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvc86ggLUY4
    As for your questions ballista advise you to read it here: DAVID P MILLER Ballistics of 17th Century Muskets

CSA Captain

In the commentary he wrote that shoots standard 69 caliber bullet and a standard charge.
    For you, is a historic discovery that the round bullet was smaller caliber barrel? Then I advise you to study materiel, and then to enter into dialogue.
    Musket can be recharged without cleaning rod and used it in an emergency. As evidenced by historical sources and modern renovation. Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvc86ggLUY4
    As for your questions ballista advise you to read it here: DAVID P MILLER Ballistics of 17th Century Muskets
    I think the main point is that Civil War firearms (19th century) are quite different than earlier firearms. The 19th century saw some major technological advances in firearms. You are still providing videos displaying tap loading with smoothbores, which nobody is denying is possible. Most Civil War firearms were rifles, and the issued ammunition would fit closer than during previous centuries. Those are my thoughts.

If you can find someone who could test out your theory with say an 1853 Enfield or an 1861 Springfield and provide some video that would be excellent.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot

USA Sergeant

Naturally the bullet is smaller then the caliber of the barrel. This is how it have been since the first use of firearms in the late 14th century. This is not news.

Also it is not a "cleaning rod" but a ramrod or simply "the rammer." as it is called in the acw period drill books.

No one have suggest that you need to clean the gun after every shot. But if you have powder from earlier shots in the barrel it get harder to load. That is why it is relevant if it is clean or not.

When not ramming the bullet properly you loose bullet velocity and if the bullets is not properly set on the powder you damage the barrel... and this is way more likely if the weapon is not clean.
    That is why this was not how soldiers was told to load and why it was not common to do this.

Also it is really only relevant when you are in a hurry. With a french column trying to get into melee with you, it is all a matter of getting sufficient rounds of within a very short time.
    Most acw fights ended in a close range firefight... where you don't have the same need for maximum rate of fire.

but do please share your period sources for civil war soldiers using this method with their flintlock muskets.

Why mention a book about 17th century muskets? pretty irrelevant.

Finally, smoothbore percussion muskets was not the only weapon type used.
    None of this is relevant to the rifle musket.
    Last edited by thomas aagaard; 12-06-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Rawlings View Post
    I think the main point is that Civil War firearms (19th century) are quite different than earlier firearms. The 19th century saw some major technological advances in firearms. You are still providing videos displaying tap loading with smoothbores, which nobody is denying is possible. Most Civil War firearms were rifles, and the issued ammunition would fit closer than during previous centuries. Those are my thoughts.

If you can find someone who could test out your theory with say an 1853 Enfield or an 1861 Springfield and provide some video that would be excellent.
    And here Enfield rifle? I talked about the M1842 muskets! Animation fast charging "Tap Load" is ideal for this weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    Naturally the bullet is smaller then the caliber of the barrel. This is how it have been since the first use of firearms in the late 14th century. This is not news.

Also it is not a "cleaning rod" but a ramrod or simply "the rammer." as it is called in the acw period drill books.

No one have suggest that you need to clean the gun after every shot. But if you have powder from earlier shots in the barrel it get harder to load. That is why it is relevant if it is clean or not.

When not ramming the bullet properly you loose bullet velocity and if the bullets is not properly set on the powder you damage the barrel... and this is way more likely if the weapon is not clean.
    That is why this was not how soldiers was told to load and why it was not common to do this.

Also it is really only relevant when you are in a hurry. With a french column trying to get into melee with you, it is all a matter of getting sufficient rounds of within a very short time.
    Most acw fights ended in a close range firefight... where you don't have the same need for maximum rate of fire.

but do please share your period sources for civil war soldiers using this method with their flintlock muskets.

Why mention a book about 17th century muskets? pretty irrelevant.

Finally, smoothbore percussion muskets was not the only weapon type used.
    None of this is relevant to the rifle musket.
    When the trunk crouch powder coke - more soldiers were beaten with the butt on the ground, what would chuck got to the right place.
    Last edited by Leifr; 12-12-2016 at 05:29 PM.

USA Sergeant

And I ask again. Please share your source of civil war soldiers doing this.

USA 1st Lieutenant

You just have to remember that games are meant to be fun and I and clearly a few other people think that this would make the game less fun.