Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Ultimate General: Civil War

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsmithern View Post
    That's the one with the Union on one side of the river in the heavy dense woods right? if so it's hard although people have plenty of strategies to beat it, i personally rush 4 brigades around the right side of the map and hit the Union in the flank. Other ways of doing it is to assault from the left and have your arty push up with your infantry so as they use canister to obliterate any union forces.

oh and a general reminder, if anyone not just you, but anyone needs help the forums are a great place to check, as well as the steam guides.
    Forum:http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php...al-discussion/
    Yes that's the one, and I did go with the same strategy as yourself, rushing their left flank. Seemed to be a good strategy, and I did hold for awhile, but eventually their numbers and the fact they had a lot of cover did me in. I'll have to try it as a historical battle to see what I could have done different in preparation for my next campaign.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Rawlings View Post
    Yes that's the one, and I did go with the same strategy as yourself, rushing their left flank. Seemed to be a good strategy, and I did hold for awhile, but eventually their numbers and the fact they had a lot of cover did me in. I'll have to try it as a historical battle to see what I could have done different in preparation for my next campaign.
    yeah, i know one way to win the battle is to get close enough to the capture point to where it says "your faction has taken, "Point" and pause immediately, check the victory conditions panel to see if it's checked and if it is and you can end the battle....well do so and boom a victory, however it's a cheap way to win, but it works.

the game gets even better. Chancellorsville and stones river are awesome. but Chancellorsville is annoying it has a stupid bug that even if you cap the chancellor farm on day 1 and completely rekt the union(I mean I rly did destroy those idiots!) it teleports all your troops back to the orange turnpike and the plank road on day 2! and then I have to do gen Jackson's flanking movement while having normally already won! also if you haven't played rio hill yet a tip for ya DONT UNDERESTIMATE REPEATING RIFLES(like spencers) IN THIS GAME! all their forces are armed with them there and they can cause you massive casualties in no time.

CSA Captain

the game looks very interesting

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by The Fearless Hussar View Post
    the game gets even better. Chancellorsville and stones river are awesome. but Chancellorsville is annoying it has a stupid bug that even if you cap the chancellor farm on day 1 and completely rekt the union(I mean I rly did destroy those idiots!) it teleports all your troops back to the orange turnpike and the plank road on day 2! and then I have to do gen Jackson's flanking movement while having normally already won! also if you haven't played rio hill yet a tip for ya DONT UNDERESTIMATE REPEATING RIFLES(like spencers) IN THIS GAME! all their forces are armed with them there and they can cause you massive casualties in no time.
    I gave an entire unit of mine Henry's once, but there wasn't a noticeable difference to me between them and the 1855 Springfield.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia

I gave an entire unit of mine Henry's once, but there wasn't a noticeable difference to me between them and the 1855 Springfield.
    yes don't use them in normal inf bdes. they work well with skirms only! don't use the 1855 so much. it has terrible mellee. didn't you get a couple of 1861s yet? after Fredericksburg all my first corp is armed with missisipi, enfield, Richmond or Lorenz. my 2nd corps has 1861 , missisipi, enfield, 1bde with full Fayetteville(this is my shock bde of the 2nd corps. it is 1star but due to the guns being so awesome it has a huge impact on the battlefield) and 1-2bdes with the 1855. only my 3rd corps is mostly armed with 1855 and it has a bde with tyler texas.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by The Fearless Hussar View Post
    yes don't use them in normal inf bdes. they work well with skirms only! don't use the 1855 so much. it has terrible mellee. didn't you get a couple of 1861s yet? after Fredericksburg all my first corp is armed with missisipi, enfield, Richmond or Lorenz. my 2nd corps has 1861 , missisipi, enfield, 1bde with full Fayetteville(this is my shock bde of the 2nd corps. it is 1star but due to the guns being so awesome it has a huge impact on the battlefield) and 1-2bdes with the 1855. only my 3rd corps is mostly armed with 1855 and it has a bde with tyler texas.
    Ok gotcha. Not sure why there would be a difference between the firepower of the type of unit since its the same gun, but I'll do that. No, I haven't seen much of the 1861, there are hardly ever any in stock to purchase.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings

Ok gotcha. Not sure why there would be a difference between the firepower of the type of unit since its the same gun, but I'll do that. No, I haven't seen much of the 1861, there are hardly ever any in stock to purchase.
    dont worry you'll get a big bunch of 1861s at the battle of stones river. the difference with skirms isnt huge it is just that skirms can run around unmolested and with the fire rate of a spencer or henry they are deadly. but i mean you should have several skirm units armed with them attacking a specific enemy at the same time that is what makes the difference.

well I just finished the campaign up to now(Gettysburg). Well Chancellorsville is challenging if you do it historically and do gen Jackson's flanking movement. Otherwise if you capture Chancellorsville on day 1 it is very easy. You just block howard's reinforcements with like 3 or 4bdes on phase 2 and so you can capture the farm easily without the fear of finding a big big bunch of unionists stacked around the farm. If you choose the nonhistoric-easy way your loses will be very low(I lost like 7k troops to their 14k loses). Brandy Station is more of a challenge. Especially when the union inf appears you must harass them all the time to delay them so they cant capture the station cause you don't really have enough inf to challenge their inf. Moreover all your cav are dragoons whereas all the union cav is melee cav(in short don't go in melee). Gettysburg is extremely easy. The right expression wouldn't be I beat the Yankees it would be I walked over them. I mean honestly who thought splitting the iron brigade in regs in the game at Gettysburg was a good idea? If you have like 10 2000-2500 man bdes put them all in your 1st corps and the only thing you have to do is walk towards the union and fire. That's all. Their bdes are so small like 1200-1500 that numbers alone will give you the advantage on day 1. I didn't even need my 2nd corps to win the battle. Except that I won by capturing cemetery hill on DAY 1 and got an ENTIRE UNION CORPS(I think it was an entire corps didn't count it. it was a lot of bdes anyway) prisoner.
    Note though that I played Gettysburg on easy(colonel) but I going to try it on normal(bde gen) as well soon. I have a campaign up to that point in bde gen difficulty anyway.
    Edit: I am sorry for the double post just hadn't noticed that the last post was also mine. Is it possible that a moderator can merge the 2 posts if needed?
    Last edited by Leifr; 02-25-2017 at 12:41 PM.

well just got done with the campaign up to cold harbor. lol beat cold harbor on day 1 cause I blitzkrieged old harbor crossroads. nevertheless laurel hill was damn bloody business. it was very difficult I lost about 18k men and they lost 53k but I made it to capture Alsop's plain and get a victory. saunder's field before that one was also bloody but I found a way to clear it without having to get very high casualties. Mansfield was easy but bloody. really there wasn't much tactic to it. just attack the area around the capture point and keep attacking that place only. by the way the springfield 1863 that you can massively capture after chicamaugha is as terrible in melee as its predecessors. the best gun in battles after chicamaugha is the cs Richmond rifle and/or the Fayetteville but that one is so rare you'd better keep brigades armed with them out of heavy action because if you lose some you wont be able to replace them. but well the 1863 will work well as long as you don't get stuck in heavy melee fighting. also don't underestimate the yankee skirms after 1863 they bear spencers and they will shatter even whole brigades if you just charge them.