Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Civil War Uniform Thread!

CSA Colonel

I like thee uniform of the Washington Light Infantry 08Volunteer_zpsafb16115.jpg and I abslutley love the uniforms of the officers of the short lived Army of South Carolina like this one here confederate-flying-artillery.jpg and some more famous faces in these uniforms Col. Johnson Hagood - 1st SCV.jpg Brig Gen Johnson Hagood Col. Joseph Kershaw - 2nd SCI.jpg Mjr Gen Joseph Kershaw (At Sharpsburg) Col. Micah Jenkins - 5th SCI.jpg Brig Gen Micah Jenkins (At Sharpsburg) Col. States Rights Gist - Staff.jpg Brig Gen States Rights Gist Cpt. Ambrosio Gonzales - P.G.T. Beauregard.jpg Colonel Ambrosio Gonzalez (Cuban Artillery Cheif of Dept. of SC,GA,FL) Cpt. Stephen D. Lee - P. G. T. Beauregard.jpg Lt Gen Stephen D Lee (At Sharpsburg) Cpt. William Porcher Miles - P.G.T. Beauregard Staff.jpg William P Miles, deisgner of CS Army battle flag Lt. Col. Samuel McGowan - 14th SCI.jpg Brig. Gen. Samuel McGowan (At Sharpsburg) Mjr. David R. Jones - P.G.T. Beauregard Staff.jpg Mjr Gen David R Jones (At Sharpsburg) Mjr. Gen. Milledge L. Bonham - Army of SC.jpg Brig Gen Milledge Bonham (Commander of Army of SC) Mjr. Thomas Wagner - 1st SCA.jpg Lt Col Thomas Wagner (Battery Wagner named for him) Pvt. Alexander C. Haskell - 1st SCI.jpg Colonel Alexander Haskell, who surrendered the Cavalry of the ANV
    "If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was a grave mistake and the revolution to which it led was a crime. If Washington was a patriot; Lee cannot have been a rebel."

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right ..."

Wade Hampton III

CSA Lieutenant General

Is there anyone in the forum that really takes to studying uniforms? I never realized exactly how painstaking it can be. Because there is an event going on this weekend (June 24 and 25 2017) in Elmira, NY, I tried to determine what type of uniform my ancestor that died there as a POW would have been wearing. In the process, I met and started talking to a reenactor in McDowell, VA, only to find out that he is WAAAAAY into uniform history.

I've since learned a little bit about some of the jacket patterns, more precisely the Richmond Depot type I, II, and III shell jacket, and the various types of material, and the various colors that were used, as well as when they were used. Certainly not information that I can commit to memory quite yet.

As an example, I'm going to include a document that my new friend sent to me, describing the picture of Elijah Leach.

I hope the below link works:
    Uniform Description - Elijah Leach, 31st VA INF, Co. B

And here is the original picture of Leach, not broken down into segments:
    38610v.jpg

Consider that my buddy suggest that Leach wore his stuff in reverse because of mirroring attribute of the camera technology of the time. So I've flipped the photo around, so we can see how Elijah would have been sitting for his picture to be taken.
    Leach Mirrored image
    Last edited by dmurray6; 06-21-2017 at 09:33 PM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Lieutenant General

image ru

Not a historic photo but this is my uniform for my surgeon impression with the 2nd SC Rifles
    Col. Hatcher
    Adjutant, Drayton's Brigade

In Memoriam of my Confederate Ancestors:

Lt. General Nathan Bedford Forrest, Major William H. Forrest, Lt. Col. Aaron Forrest, Col. Jeffrey Forrest, Lt. Col. Jesse Forrest, Captain James M. Cathey, Harrison Haynes, Harper Haynes, Jopseh Martin, William G. Hatcher, John A. Hatcher, John J. Hatcher, D. Wesley Hatcher, James L. Hatcher

Interesting choice of colors for that uniform.....

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Reb_1865 View Post
    Interesting choice of colors for that uniform.....
    "Richmond grey" coat with black trim (the color of the medical corps). Black (medical service color) kepi with "MS" for medical service. Confederate surgeon pants (dark blue as surgeons were staff officers and this was the official uniform color for staff officers of the Confederacy) with the regulation black velvet stripe trimmed with gold cord. Also the green sash which was the designated sash color for the medical corps.

Taken from the Regulations for the Army of the Confederate States of America 1863

The official color for the frock coats according to those regulations was Cadet grey. However, the coloring of cadet grey changed from the lighter pre-war color most commonly associated with cadet grey to a darker color which more closely resembles Richmond grey. It's also important to note that the term "Richmond grey" is not an era term. This was used to describe the color by the C&D Jarnagin Company to describe the color and was not an official color during the War. Greys, especially from the Richmond Depot, came in a variety of shades.

9278985_orig.jpg

This is the later version of cadet grey. (Image courtesy of the Smithsonian)

9267574_orig.jpg

This is the pre-war version of cadet grey. (Image courtesy of the New York State Military Museum)

8306419_orig.jpg

Another version of regulation cadet grey by the Richmond Depot. (Image courtesy of the Gettysburg National Military Park)
    Last edited by Hatchmo; 06-24-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    Col. Hatcher
    Adjutant, Drayton's Brigade

In Memoriam of my Confederate Ancestors:

Lt. General Nathan Bedford Forrest, Major William H. Forrest, Lt. Col. Aaron Forrest, Col. Jeffrey Forrest, Lt. Col. Jesse Forrest, Captain James M. Cathey, Harrison Haynes, Harper Haynes, Jopseh Martin, William G. Hatcher, John A. Hatcher, John J. Hatcher, D. Wesley Hatcher, James L. Hatcher

CSA Major

15th Alabama Company G

Wearing bright red shirts, Richmond gray frock coats and trousers, and a colorful and diverse attire of headgear. Each of cap bore an HP, which stood for Henry Pioneers. Each soldier of this gaudy company wore a Secession Badge which stood for "Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity," copied from the French Revolution.

Private Barnett of G Company noted: "We have the finest looking company in the regiment, and have the praise of being the best drill company in the manual of arms."

CSA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by MadWolf View Post
    One of the most beautiful uniforms in my opinion from the ACW is the uniform of the: 11th Mississippi Infantry

Attachment 5094
    11th MS descendant here. Agreed.

Out of curiosity, is there any vendor I can get an early war Company A uniform from? I'd like represent my ancestor's regiment at SCV rallies.

11th Mississippi Infantryman.jpg
    Hit that Subscribe Button

https://www.youtube.com/user/360Nomad