Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Books about the Civil War

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    HOPE you've got some time on your hands .... Probably the most definitive source of Civil War Information.

Enjoy.

CSA Brigadier General

"Guns of the South" is a good read if you're looking for something interesting.

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    HOPE you've got some time on your hands .... Probably the most definitive source of Civil War Information.

Enjoy.
    Yep that is a great "Book"... I read in it often.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    Yep that is a great "Book"... I read in it often.
    Well ... there are after all 70 "Book"s No one said he had to read all of them.

CSA Captain

Being a Canadian and loving American Civil War history, I was naturally drawn to Blood and Daring

Although its focus is not pure military history, it covers Canada's political involvement, and explains Canada's confederation in reaction to Union victory. It details some very interesting and impactful events, including when confederates hiding in Canada snuck across the border to raid the town of St. Albans, Vermont. St. Albans became known as the northernmost "battle" of the civil war. 1 person was killed.

I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the topic.

a yankee friend of mine who always debunks my confederate counterattacks with "remember who won the war" got me a book called the life and death of the 1st Minnesota
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ThomasHBates

1st New York Battery A, Empire Battery

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow_Flyer View Post
    a yankee friend of mine who always debunks my confederate counterattacks with "remember who won the war" got me a book called the life and death of the 1st Minnesota
    GG i've seen that book at barnes and noble, but i never have the money to get it when i do.

Is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsmithern View Post
    GG i've seen that book at barnes and noble, but i never have the money to get it when i do.

Is it any good?
    Ive read the first few pages, quite intresting, (sure i want to read it but school gets in the way.... and its a yankee book....) but the book i got had a news paper type thinggy where it had a interesting artical about the 1st Minnesota Volunteers
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ThomasHBates

1st New York Battery A, Empire Battery

USA Lieutenant General

I got this incredible book for Christmas, it's called "Unusual and often overlooked facts about the the americans civil war, CIVIL WAR TRIVIA AND FACT BOOK" I'll even insert a fact that I found to be interesting!

Fact: Out of the 292,000 men drafted in August, 1863, only 18% payed their commutation fee.

Just an example but it's full of great facts that you can quiz your friends on, as well as yourself!