Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confederate & Union Battery / Artillery Thread

CSA Captain

Confederate & Union Battery / Artillery Thread

Thread for all the Batteries out there and those who are passionate about the Civil War Artillery aspect of the game

- Would like to get all the batteries listed here in the main post

- Talk about the history of the battery you are in or started, which type of cannons does it have, battles it was in, etc. (NO RECRUITING)
    - General Artillery history
    - Commands you would use in-game
    - Everything Battery / Artillery related

Richmond Howitzers History:
    George Wythe Randolph, the first captain of the Richmond Howitzers, was born in 1818 at Monticello, the home of his maternal grandfather, Thomas Jefferson. Randolph was appointed a midshipman at the age of thirteen, and served in the navy for six years. Afterwards he studied law at the University of Virginia, and in 1850 moved to Richmond to practice his profession. He conceived the idea of the "Howitzer Battery", which began organization on November 9, 1859, himself as captain and Gaston Otey as First Sergeant.

The Richmond Howitzers grew into a battalion of three companies by May 1861. The original company, reorganized on May 8 with the election of Captain John C. Shields, was thereafter known as the 1st Company. In November 1861 Captain Shields was promoted to Lt. Colonel and transferred, to be replaced by Lt. Wm. Palmer. In March of 1862 Captain Palmer, who desired to go into army medical service, was replaced by 1st. Lt. Edward McCarthy.

An elite unit, the Howitzers served with distinction. The 1st Company Richmond Howitzers, a four-gun battery, participated at First Manassas, the Peninsular Campaign, Seven Pines, the Seven Days' Battles, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, and the retreat from Richmond to Appomattox.

At Gettysburg, on July 2, 1863, its two rifled guns expended 200 rounds of ammunition in less than two hours at Devil's Den, and the next day, one piece alone expended 300 rounds in support of Pickett's Charge. The battery saw its commander, Edward S. McCarthy, killed at Cold Harbor; felled instantly by a sharpshooter’s minie ball.

The book: "Four Years Under Marse Robert," by Major Robert Stiles of Cabell's Batallion offers these observations of the Richmond Howitzers:

"The composition of the three companies was very similar; that is, all of them were made up largely of young business men and clerks of the highest grade and best character from the city of Richmond, but included also a number of country boys, for the most part of excellent families, with a very considerable infusion of college-bred men, for it was strikingly true that in 1861 the flower of our educated youth gravitated toward the artillery. The outcome was something quite unparalleled, so far as I know. It is safe to say that no less than one hundred men were commissioned from the corps during the war, and these of every rank from a Secretary of War down to a second lieutenant."

"Few things have ever impressed me as did the intellectual and moral character of the men who composed the circle I entered the day our guide led my brother and myself to the Howitzer Camp. I had lived for years at the North, had graduated recently at Yale, and had but just entered upon the study of law in the city of New York, when the war began... To my surprise and delight, around the camp fires of the First Company, Richmond Howitzers, I found throbbing an intellectual life as high and brilliant and intense as any I had ever known."
    Last edited by Dutchconfederate; 01-02-2017 at 08:03 PM.

The History Of Our Artillery Company Eh?

Welp heres the 1st New York Battery A's for ya

First Ill start off of with the battery's nick name, The Empire Battery

I Found Much History About The Regiment Of Light New York Artillery Here
    https://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist...tLtAllMain.htm

At This Website It States The Mustering Surplice And Army's It Was Part Of

"It was mustered in the United States service at Utica, September 12, 1861, and served at and near Washington, D. C, from November, 1861; in the Artillery Reserve, Army of Potomac, from February, 1862; in Casey's Division, 4th Corps, from March, 1862; the enlisted men were transferred to Batteries D and H"

This Battery When It Was Formed Was Led By A Officer By The Name Of Thomas H. Bates, Who Was A Captian But When The Enlisted Was Transferred He Later Went Back To New York To Recruit More Men For More Batterys

The Guns This Battery Used Was 4 12 pound Napoleon Smooth Bores
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ThomasHBates

1st New York Battery A, Empire Battery

USA Sergeant

There's a Little Nifty piece of Artillery called the Mountain Howitzer, which made them suitable for fighting in Mountains or with Infantry who needed Artillery Support where the real artillery batteries couldn't reach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1841_mountain_howitzer
    Corporal B. Foster
    Assistant Adjutant
    S-1, Administration
    C Company Command
    1st Battalion Virginia Regulars

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow_Flyer View Post
    The History Of Our Artillery Company Eh?

Welp heres the 1st New York Battery A's for ya

The Guns This Battery Used Was 4 12 pound Napoleon Smooth Bores
    Thanks for that history is always welcome! and Artillery deserves the platform and promotion!

Quote Originally Posted by Apple View Post
    There's a Little Nifty piece of Artillery called the Mountain Howitzer, which made them suitable for fighting in Mountains or with Infantry who needed Artillery Support where the real artillery batteries couldn't reach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1841_mountain_howitzer
    I have indeed read about those Howitzers! Very special indeed, need to read up more on the infantry companies that used those.

[QUOTE=Dutchconfederate;54092]Thanks for that history is always welcome! and Artillery deserves the platform and promotion!

Yeah its Kinda sad to see the small amounts of people currently signed up for artillery, us artillery Officers hope to see a greater influx when the game comes out XD
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ThomasHBates

1st New York Battery A, Empire Battery

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow_Flyer View Post
    Yeah its Kinda sad to see the small amounts of people currently signed up for artillery, us artillery Officers hope to see a greater influx when the game comes out XD
    Given the fact that artillery isn't even a thing yet in this endeavor it's no wonder. The same applies for Cavalry, there are not very many of those units either, for the same reason.

But then having said that, and read so many comments and discussions about what a Gun crew should be composed of I sense that the average, and maybe the not so average, or less than average gamer thinks that artillery is dull and boring. General misconceptions that artillery can be manned by two players minimum, or even one, and the like indicate people do not have an appreciation for the career artillerist.

In most games of this nature, player stats are usually counted by personal kills. Players don't want to play a part of a game where they're not getting "points" to some purpose. But the developers have stated that statistics like that are not going to be kept. So individuals won't have a reason for bragging rights in the forums as being the hottest shot in the community. So with the knowledge that players aren't racking up points, I would suspect that for the purposes of authenticity, we might find more players joining artillery units in the future.

Right now, Infantry is all that can be played. So everyone plays infantry.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Given the fact that artillery isn't even a thing yet in this endeavor it's no wonder. The same applies for Cavalry, there are not very many of those units either, for the same reason.

But then having said that, and read so many comments and discussions about what a Gun crew should be composed of I sense that the average, and maybe the not so average, or less than average gamer thinks that artillery is dull and boring. General misconceptions that artillery can be manned by two players minimum, or even one, and the like indicate people do not have an appreciation for the career artillerist.

In most games of this nature, player stats are usually counted by personal kills. Players don't want to play a part of a game where they're not getting "points" to some purpose. But the developers have stated that statistics like that are not going to be kept. So individuals won't have a reason for bragging rights in the forums as being the hottest shot in the community. So with the knowledge that players aren't racking up points, I would suspect that for the purposes of authenticity, we might find more players joining artillery units in the future.

Right now, Infantry is all that can be played. So everyone plays infantry.
    Even more reason to promote the Artillery aspect of the game! Getting people the take some time to read about the history and the actual work those guys had to do. Team work team work team work!

I am sure there are more Artillery crazy people out there like me, Thomas and Apple. And slowly Batteries are being formed and getting at the 10 marker!

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchconfederate View Post
    Even more reason to promote the Artillery aspect of the game! Getting people the take some time to read about the history and the actual work those guys had to do. Team work team work team work!

I am sure there are more Artillery crazy people out there like me, Thomas and Apple. And slowly Batteries are being formed and getting at the 10 marker!
    I would like to be a part of a battery someday, although I don't have loads of time.

USA Lieutenant General

The conception that a gun can be run by 1 or 2 people is actually true! To run the gun in an already unlimbered position is rather simple just takes time (thus making in impractical) but not impossible. There is no job on the gun that people can't learn. Like many armies in the modern age all troops are trained on all parts of the guns, that way if one soldier is taken out of the picture the gun may still run.

-Mac

this Video may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqs-iVsCyDI

or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL1DkrYL70s

or: https://youtu.be/FQLZV-YXscQ
    Last edited by Macliness; 01-07-2017 at 09:03 PM.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?761-28th-Regiment-Massachusetts-Volunteer-Infantry-Company-A

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Macliness View Post
    The conception that a gun can be run by 1 or 2 people is actually true! To run the gun in an already unlimbered position is rather simple just takes time (thus making in impractical) but not impossible. There is no job on the gun that people can't learn. Like many armies in the modern age all troops are trained on all parts of the guns, that way if one soldier is taken out of the picture the gun may still run.

-Mac
    Well put, well spoken, my bad, well typed.