Thread: Graphics card question...

USA Major

Graphics card question...

So i saw this yesterday:
    The 2 cards in the top confuse me, why are the number 2 not in top?? I mean 6 and 8 gigs below 4 gigs, does that make sense???

Note: I don't play OverWatch.

Cpl. George Anthony
    Gunner

Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers

CSA Major

Memory isn't everything with graphics cards, they have other attributes that determine performance. For example; the GTX 1060 has a memory bandwidth of only 192 GB/s (GB per second) whereas the GTX 980 performs at 224 GB/s, it is therefore storing and reading data faster than the 1060 despite having less physical memory.

USA Captain

While a video card's RAM certainly does contribute to the performance received from a game, the VRAM only really comes into practice when more complex textures need to be loaded, this is, for example, when you set the graphics settings to ultra, using more VRAM. When the textures loading go over the RAM on the card, they go into the system RAM, significantly reducing performance. When choosing a new graphics card, I would go with a minimum of 4gb of VRAM, this can be found in the RX 470 and RX 480 for AMD which is what I will be personally going for once I receive the funding.

An example of more VRAM being utilized to benefit the performance of a game is seen here:

However, as said earlier, on certain games, it does not always benefit: