Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perspective: First Person vs Inspection

USA Major

Perspective: First Person vs Inspection

Right now all movement takes place in First Person mode; that is, you see what your eyes are pointed at. This is usually the best way but I did see a potential problem. If you plan to have players actually move in formation; that is, form up in a line of battle and advance, I suggest that you allow movement to occur while in "Inspection" mode (F4 Key). A person marching has peripheral vision and some feel so they "know" where the person next to them is without having to "look". In the game this is very difficult to do. However, from the F4 view it is easy to see your relative position in line and match up with the movement of others.

Ken

CSA Major

Third person is not happening, it has been stated over and over again. I am sure that the developers are however working on mechanisms to help maintain formation cohesion.

USA Major

Then don't be surprised when attempts to move in column of fours like we did at the Saturday get together look a lot more like a Chinese fire drill. It is very difficult to coordinate movements with other people if you can't see them without looking away from where you are going. Normally peripheral vision would take care of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    Then don't be surprised when attempts to move in column of fours like we did at the Saturday get together look a lot more like a Chinese fire drill. It is very difficult to coordinate movements with other people if you can't see them without looking away from where you are going. Normally peripheral vision would take care of this.
    The added difficulty of moving in formation is a price we're willing to pay for the added immersion a locked first person view gives.

We are working on tools to ease up troop movements.

- Trusty

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Difficulty moving in line formation is not so much a peripheral vision issue, and more of a connection issue. Because of the nature of online gaming, players of course have input delay and people hear commands at different times as well. There being only two marching speeds in the game and the inability to slow and increase the rate of movement all yields difficulty to marching in formation that I think third person can't quite accommodate.

As Trusty said they are working on ways to fix the mess that sometimes occurs when trying to advance in sync.

TLDR: The problems with marching in formation won't be fixed if third person is added in my opinion.
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

There is a solution for all types of movements. Some times it's a choice to be effective compared to look fancy. Some manuals like hardees don't work so well. Be creative and there are ways to move effective. Not going to share the recipe. Lots of time to figure it out in drill camp.

CSA Captain

Well said Jeffrey ... no need for developers to implement something to help companies form up especially at this stage when they're much needed with other issues ... besides if a company cant figure out how to coordinate, then its their fault, dont take it out on everyone else. I feel it should never be implemented. Whatever happened to common sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Goad View Post
    Well said Jeffrey ... no need for developers to implement something to help companies form up especially at this stage when they're much needed with other issues ... besides if a company cant figure out how to coordinate, then its their fault, dont take it out on everyone else. I feel it should never be implemented. Whatever happened to common sense?
    It remains to be seen how this tool will look and how much support it will give a company.

I know your company Goad will be different from most, and for the 5th Alabama Co. A well i like the types of movements we implement. I think speed in movement will be a key in the game. I am not sure the tool can provide that for us rather have the freedom to come up with our own ways.

But to each there own of course. Will be a interesting test between companies that will and will not use it who knows maybe it does add something? :-)

CSA Captain

Well I wont comment on the speed of movement that you speak of .... Still though anything to help the ones who dont do anything to help themselves such as now with drilling camp deserve nothing as far as I'm concerned ( they dont promote the game at all ). It takes away with those that have put the time and effort in the game so far ( the ones who promote the game ). Implementing some sort of aid is akin to pacifying the meek, that alone should insult them. I say this is trivial and let the Developers continue on with WAY more important details. Laziness should not be rewarded, the game should be a challenge.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Goad View Post
    Well I wont comment on the speed of movement that you speak of .... Still though anything to help the ones who dont do anything to help themselves such as now with drilling camp deserve nothing as far as I'm concerned ( they dont promote the game at all ). It takes away with those that have put the time and effort in the game so far ( the ones who promote the game ). Implementing some sort of aid is akin to pacifying the meek, that alone should insult them. I say this is trivial and let the Developers continue on with WAY more important details. Laziness should not be rewarded, the game should be a challenge.
    You have to remember this game is taking place on a computer screen with limited ability to orient yourself. You don't have a set of VR glasses so you can quickly look around and orient yourself relative to those around you. What should be a relatively easy task, putting yourself in line with other soldiers, is a difficult undertaking on a two dimensional screen. This turns a simple maneuver that any set of re-enactors could do in a couple of minutes into a Chinese fire drill. Providing on screen aids to make this easier isn't going to destroy the game or make it less historically accurate.

But if simple maneuvers become so difficult that only those twenty or so people willing to hard core play the game can do them, players will either default to mob tactics or just walk away from the game. And, the twenty or so hard core players will get to watch a game die. It won't be the first or the last to do this.