Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suggestion to help familiarize with problems of a first person shooter like this.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle View Post
    It is indeed entertaining whenever a post is made that attempts to offer advice in this condescending of a manner, as if the developers don't have any direction in mind for the game.
    I wasn't trying to be condescending but I didn't want to just assume they had looked at WW II Online. It isn't a main stream game. It has been around a long time but has a very small player base. But it does highlight many of the problems that an online first person historically accurate game will have. While the weapons are much longer range than CW game and ridged formations aren't used., they still have the same problems.

One of their most serious problems is in game communications. This is a basic need for any kind of player coordination. I am glad to see WoR included voice within the game. WW II requires the use of a third party app (TeamSpeak) which is difficult for a small group of people to set up especially for casual players. The result is most fighting isn't coordinated in any way.

But WW II is an excellent source for observing other potential problem areas and how they solved it or in many cases failed to solve. WoR is in alpha and we players haven't seen yet how they plan to handle these problem areas. The developers may have solved them all but it still doesn't hurt to mention them.

But here are some WW II has and to varying extents solved:

What happens when you get killed. Returned where? Time delay?
    How do you balance the game if one side has to many players.
    What if there are to few players.
    Are you going to discourage mob play vs formations.
    Voice system handles short range communications, what about long range?
    Ammunition depletion. How are you going to resupply ammo.
    Sun in your eyes.
    Artillery and indirect fire.
    And probably many more could be named.

WW II in one way or another has taken on all these problems and solved them to varying degrees.
    It is worth looking at if for no other reason than to be aware of them.

USA Captain

I think that some faith should be placed in the developers in terms of finding solutions to these questions that are appropriate to their vision for WoR. I also think it should be assumed that the devs have knowledge about gameplay flow and gaming in general. I certainly don't think it's necessary for them to get an account on some historical shooter and play on it every week in order for this game to succeed, as you have suggested.

Also, some of your concerns have already been discussed elsewhere on these forums.

CSA Captain

Potato brain