Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Historically Minded Guide of Structure and Marching! By 1st EPI Heinrich

USA General of the Army

Unlike M&B and M&M this doesn't have third person, which you can not deny is a massive, if not the the most critical, reason these moves work. Without third person or a soft locking system these are going to be so SO much harder in WoR.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    Unlike M&B and M&M this doesn't have third person, which you can not deny is a massive, if not the the most critical, reason these moves work. Without third person or a soft locking system these are going to be so SO much harder in WoR.
    I have taught these sentiments for the last several years in 'first-person'.

The private's only job is to look left, and right to keep himself from being too far forwards and too far behind his fellow rankers beside him. It is the Non-Commissioned Officer's jobs to keep these Privates in order by having Senior Corporals dotted through the ranks and having Sergeants posted to the ends of their respective Platoons/Companies and to the rear to have an overview of what is transpiring and to most importantly fix the situation on the fly; such as line adjustment, wheeling 90 degrees forwards and back, forming squares against cavalry, firing drills, marching in columns of fours to line of battle and back again....

It takes a lot of situational awareness, experienced NCOs and the man power to do it. It's a hard core form of gameplay that not everyone will comprehend but is historical and very satisfying.
    Infantry Battalion Commander
    Major

Army of the West

USA General of the Army

I do not doubt your abilities Mr. Hooper, nor those of the 1. Ostpeußischen Infanterie-Bataillon. I will however maintain the point that M&B has third person to use. This naturally allows people to better maintain formations etc. and that whilst I'm sure you did instruct the manual in FP, I doubt many men used FP when Third Person was so easily available.

The movements and drill are possible. But without the cheaty advantage of third person and the current instability of the servers when over 30~ are on the servers I doubt many people will want to use every movement shown on this thread.

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by L. Hopper View Post
    It's a hard core form of gameplay that not everyone will comprehend but is historical and very satisfying.
    Not for the civilwar period...
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

USA Brigadier General

I have one question in regards to something I noticed, did the 1st Lt. actually command the second platoon and the 2nd Lt. command the first platoon? It seems off to me.
    First Sergeant Joseph P. Brevett of Company B, 2nd Maryland Infantry

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;- William Shakespeare, Henry V

A Good Resource for The Maryland Campaign

USA General of the Army

Historically the Captain Commandes the First Platoon whilst the 1st Lt commanded the Second Platoon.

USA Lieutenant General

I personaly like to practice and drill the movements from this or a other guide. It has a nice feel about it, like it's a from of boot camp (you have to do) before going to "war".
    I do not know how many of the movements will work in the fully realised game and we have to see if ppl will do or not do the movements form this or a other Guide at all. Maybe we will see a mix or have servers with rules about formations and movements idk. I hope to see as much formations and movements as possible in game one way or another.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    Not for the civilwar period...
    Psssst ... Civil War is two words.