Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Being Too Historically Accurate Be Bad?

Question Could Being Too Historically Accurate Be Bad?

So I hope to bring up a interesting topic....

I was watching a video by rags, the "A Critical Look At BF1" and he brings up the topic how its good the game isn't the most historically accurate. Dice added the battlefield style to world war 1

Heres the video i found that made me think about this topic-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aroygC2LaLA

Dont get me wrong, I love the way the devs are making the game currently, I love how the realism in the game is going right now, I am all for full historical accurate and that's one of the reasons I don't personally play Battlefield 1, but it brings up a good topic doesn't it? but ild like to see how you guys think of topic above.

(sorry if there is already a post about this, i look but didnt see one)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ThomasHBates

1st New York Battery A, Empire Battery

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow_Flyer View Post
    So I hope to bring up a interesting topic....

I was watching a video by rags, the "A Critical Look At BF1" and he brings up the topic how its good the game isn't the most historically accurate. Dice added the battlefield style to world war 1

Dont get me wrong, I love the way the devs are making the game currently, I love how the realism in the game is going right now, I am all for full historical accurate and that's one of the reasons I don't personally play Battlefield 1, but it brings up a good topic doesn't it? but ild like to see how you guys think of topic above.

(sorry if there is already a post about this, i look but didnt see one)
    I have seen some similair posts like this.
    And I think it comes down to the public you want to reach. There are plenty of games for the general gamer but for the gamer who wants something different.. not so much. This game provides something for a different part of the people.

CSA Captain

Well Battlefield 1 is actually a bad platform to discuss historical accuracy of games....as it has nothing to do with warfare of world war 1, beside the uniforms + it is designed to entertain millions of (casual) players and not for a specific group of historical entusiastas or players who want realism.

Games like Verdun, ArmA or Red Orchestra are more realistic/ accurate but if you ask what makes more fun the majority would answer with Battlefield or CoD or games like that. Most historical/ realistic games suffer the diverting fun factor as it takes some hours into the game to get used to it. For example the drill practice of companies of War of Rights will have its player base, though some are only interested in firing some volleys into the enemy line and enjoying the action....so here it is, the endless struggle between motivating/ fun gameplay and being as accurate as possible
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

We hope to be able to cater, at least somewhat, both audience groups.

The drill camp is a rather "hardcore" thing by its own as it generally only offer support for drills. Skirmishes will, as mentioned a few times before, be our go to game mode if you are wanting relatively instant action (all is relative - our skirmishes will still be considered very slow paced compared to games such as BF1).

Historical battle will, eventually, become our fully fledged battles for people wanting to immerse themselves in a much more free gamemode and play area.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Well Battlefield 1 is actually a bad platform to discuss historical accuracy of games....as it has nothing to do with warfare of world war 1, beside the uniforms + it is designed to entertain millions of (casual) players and not for a specific group of historical entusiastas or players who want realism.

Games like Verdun, ArmA or Red Orchestra are more realistic/ accurate but if you ask what makes more fun the majority would answer with Battlefield or CoD or games like that. Most historical/ realistic games suffer the diverting fun factor as it takes some hours into the game to get used to it. For example the drill practice of companies of War of Rights will have its player base, though some are only interested in firing some volleys into the enemy line and enjoying the action....so here it is, the endless struggle between motivating/ fun gameplay and being as accurate as possible

Verdun is more in the BF1 catagory.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud7NsdNHwq8

"You ever even play Verdun? And I am not talking about some casual matches where you got mowed down by an MG over and over. I am talking about clans and stuff. B-hopping everywhere, headshotting kids left and right with the Kar98, being the goddamn PISTOL KING! Verdun is far from realistic, and it's historical accuracy is often sacrificed for better gameplay."

-The Edgelord

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clock View Post
    Verdun is more in the BF1 catagory.
    lol
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    lol
    You ever even play Verdun? And I am not talking about some casual matches where you got mowed down by an MG over and over. I am talking about clans and stuff. B-hopping everywhere, headshotting kids left and right with the Kar98, being the goddamn PISTOL KING! Verdun is far from realistic, and it's historical accuracy is often sacrificed for better gameplay.

"You ever even play Verdun? And I am not talking about some casual matches where you got mowed down by an MG over and over. I am talking about clans and stuff. B-hopping everywhere, headshotting kids left and right with the Kar98, being the goddamn PISTOL KING! Verdun is far from realistic, and it's historical accuracy is often sacrificed for better gameplay."

-The Edgelord

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clock View Post
    You ever even play Verdun? And I am not talking about some casual matches where you got mowed down by an MG over and over. I am talking about clans and stuff. B-hopping everywhere, headshotting kids left and right with the Kar98, being the goddamn PISTOL KING! Verdun is far from realistic, and it's historical accuracy is often sacrificed for better gameplay.
    hehe

CSA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow_Flyer View Post
    Good God, I could only stand to watch 10 minutes of that guy. He needs to go back to what Call of Duty has become if all he cares about is balance and instant gratification.

Personally, I'm decent at reaction games like that, but I get more out of games that require planning and at least some inkling of strategy. Probably why a lot of us played some sort of Mount and Blade I'd imagine.

I am NOT a fan of balance. Balance dulls wargames and reduces the need for players to think outside the box to win. Not to mention its not realistic, as war is never balanced.
    11th Mississippi Infantry, "Lamar Rifles" Company G [NA]

Quote Originally Posted by [WoR] Kiff View Post
    hehe
    Ok, that rant of mine is now going to be my signature.

But in a less rude way, I was trying to tell Saris, to an average casual player, yeah, it is realistic. Crawling in the mud, being mowed down by one Machine-gun, with any hit being your last.

However, if you are some jaded, pro player who has wasted several hours of his life sniping people across Picarde with a Ruby. As I said, THE GODDAMN PISTOL KING. The more skill you get, the less realistic the game gets. It goes from slowly crawling in the mud, to doing superhuman leaps from crater to crater, until you reach the enemy trench and shove your bayonet up the nearest-

There is also stuff like jumpshooting. Even if it was severely nerfed, it is still a viable pro tactic used by skilled players to rake in the accusations of hacking. There are also corner-peeking, where NOBODY can hit you because you are doing a sidewinder around the corner with every shot, causing any enemy bullets to miss, allowing you to kill everyone if you are skilled enough.

TL;DR: The realism only applies to those who have a life. To people like me, it's an arcade game. THE END!
    Last edited by Jack Clock; 02-21-2017 at 10:14 PM.

-The Edgelord