Thread: 3d printed civil war bullets?

3d printed civil war bullets?

Hey guys,

This I thought was quite neat.

People are now using this technology to recreate civil war memorabilia.

This guy made actual bullets.

https://pinshape.com/items/21429-3d-printed-civil-war-bullet

Has anyone tried this 3d printing technology? I would love to make
    custom muskets, etc.

Don't worry, I'll make sure they don't really fire Look very interesting for sure.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

While I don't know an inordinate amount about 3D printers, I do know that they are much better suited to constructing small, simple shaped things like bullets. Depending on the kind of 3D printer and materials one owns, you may or may not be able reconstruct a musket.
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Rithal View Post
    While I don't know an inordinate amount about 3D printers, I do know that they are much better suited to constructing small, simple shaped things like bullets. Depending on the kind of 3D printer and materials one owns, you may or may not be able reconstruct a musket.
    Anything can be 3D printed! Size is no option, just need a large enough printer! As an engineer that uses this technology it is amazing what can be done!

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKid148 View Post
    Anything can be 3D printed! Size is no option, just need a large enough printer! As an engineer that uses this technology it is amazing what can be done!
    That's awesome. Thanks for the info guy.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKid148 View Post
    Yep, that's exactly what I meant. It may be hard to model a to scale musket on some of the small 3D printers that exist for personal use. I must say though, I'm jealous of you getting to regularly work with 3D printers daily. Its a very exciting field to say the least.
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

USA Captain

For more proof on size is no question:

https://youtu.be/GUdnrtnjT5Q

USA Lieutenant General

These are awesome! Might have to see if I can get them printed locally.

USA Captain

Never tried it but im sure it would be awesome!
    Colonel - James Dixon,
    Commander of Eagle Brigade,
    Second Corps Union Army

USA 1st Lieutenant

As an engineering student, and as someone who has 3D printed their designs, I don't think that 3D printing is the way of the future here. Sure, it can be done, but the time it takes to make 1, 2 or even 10 bullets using a 3D printer is much longer than using a mold- including cutting off any excess metal/plastic. Also, 3D printers like to make their objects semi-hollow, to save on material used.

Best,
    Dman979

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    As an engineering student, and as someone who has 3D printed their designs, I don't think that 3D printing is the way of the future here. Sure, it can be done, but the time it takes to make 1, 2 or even 10 bullets using a 3D printer is much longer than using a mold- including cutting off any excess metal/plastic. Also, 3D printers like to make their objects semi-hollow, to save on material used.

Best,
    Dman979
    I may be wrong on this, but unless your producing in large quantities then a mold isn't really the most cost effective? Again, I'm no expert at all.