Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North vs South?

CSA Lieutenant General

I could say that its because I am from the great state of Arkansas or I could also say that its because i had multiple ancestors that fought for the South, One that served in the same Regiment and Company that i am currently apart of the 5th Alabama, Company A. and the other received the Southern Cross of Honor whilst serving with the 15th Alabama.

In truth is because im a proud Southerner an always will be!
    Pvt. Martin Brockenbrough's Battery A, I Corps

In honor of:
    Sgt. Benjamin J. Martin
    15th Alabama Infantry, Company E.
    Southern Cross of Honor Recipient

Personal Service Record
    U.S. ARMY SSGT. 11B20/2B/B4/5U
    6 Years Active Duty
    x2 Combat Deployments in OEF
    1-12 INF, 4th/2nd IBCT, 4ID

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsmithern View Post
    I don't why I always root for the underdogs in these situations. and in this particular case, it's not really clear whether or not the south was fighting for slavery, of course, there were aristocrats in the south with plantations but I highly doubt that the large portion of southerners fought for something they didn't even have. as for the North, they just wanted to reunite the nation, which is noble in itself, in my opinion, slavery didn't become an actual part of the war until after the emancipation proclamation was signed.

as for uniforms, gonna have to give it the Union, they look nice and in battle, it looks as if they are a force to be dealt with. that being said I can never tell you I don't like the Louisana wheat tigers uniforms. they look really nice, and the only uniform I say that can beat it is possibly the VMI cadet uniforms.
    I would agree with you totally. I doubt very much that the average CSA infantry soldier was fighting for slavery as most wont have owned them and if you were a working guy back then slaves wpuld be terrible for business as the guy using slaves for labour can always under cut you.

I admit I went for the North initially as it felt a bit wierd supporting slave owners but as you point out this was not the case for most doing the actual fighting. I think the union has it when it comes to uniforms but I love reading about the daring exploits of Stuart and Bedford Forrest which gives me a love for the fighting spirit of the South.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st LT. Martin T. View Post
    I could say that its because I am from the great state of Arkansas or I could also say that its because i had multiple ancestors that fought for the South, One that served in the same Regiment and Company that i am currently apart of the 5th Alabama, Company A. and the other received the Southern Cross of Honor whilst serving with the 15th Alabama.

In truth is because im a proud Southerner an always will be!
    You have all the bases covered there!

CSA Captain

I'll always follow Texas
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

USA 1st Lieutenant

Well, without going into too much detail and burning bridges I haven't made, I think the war was definitely about slavery from the start. And that's about as far as I want to go on that topic, because it's too charged.

I'm fighting for the North because I agree with preserving the Union, I live north of the Mason-Dixon, and my state and city made a very significant contribution to the Union war effort. As a matter of fact, I live about 300 yards away from a very large Civil War-era Army hospital.

Best,
    Dman979

CSA Major

South. My family has been in the south for a very long time (early 1700s) and all my ancestors fought for the south.

The south is my home and it's part of my culture, I couldn't imagine fighting against my family and state.

As for North vs South today, I think the civil war still has a strong impact on Americans to this day.
    As strange as it may sound, people still "remember" the war and it's still a hot button topic.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion