Thread: Williams Cleaner Bullets

USA Sergeant

Williams Cleaner Bullets

In WOR we know that after repeated firing our muskets begin to wear down and become less effective. I was thinking it would be nice to have something to counteract that effect a little in game, at a cost of course. I suggest adding the Williams cleaner bullet into the game. Every soldier would get 1 cleaner bullet for every 10 regular bullets to fire whenever they like, the bullet would clean out their gun a little but would be less accurate, and less likely to kill someone if it hit. I know IRL that the cleaner bullet's effectiveness was questionable, but I still think it would be a nice feature to have.

Pvt. William J. Sadowski

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by crazychester1247 View Post
    In WOR we know that after repeated firing our muskets begin to wear down and become less effective. I was thinking it would be nice to have something to counteract that effect a little in game, at a cost of course. I suggest adding the Williams cleaner bullet into the game. Every soldier would get 1 cleaner bullet for every 10 regular bullets to fire whenever they like, the bullet would clean out their gun a little but would be less accurate, and less likely to kill someone if it hit. I know IRL that the cleaner bullet's effectiveness was questionable, but I still think it would be a nice feature to have.
    That bullet wasn't actually designed to clean the bore, despite what the name is. Though it did help keep the bore clean.

Cleaning the bore with a cleaning rod should be the main way to clean it though.
    Last edited by Legion; 03-16-2017 at 04:13 AM.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

USA Sergeant

Allowing us to run a patch down the barrel with the ramrod would make sense.

Also I think we should be careful with exaggerating the problem. If the correct bullet is used and is lubricated correctly firing 10 rounds should not be an issue.

Also some weapons had more issues than others.
    Weapons using the older Thouvenin system had less of an issue with fouling, was more accurate, but slower to load.
    (the danish army tested a rifle musket using this system and fired some 150 rounds over two days.
    They fired 30, then took a break, fired some more, took a break, until the next day and the fired some more. The last 30 of them in a row, a shot every 35 seconds. The source tell us that the last shot was just as easy to load as the first shot)

It is also my impression that a Lorenz with the correct rounds(that was not imported), was better able to deal with the fouling than weapons like the Enfield and Springfield using minie type bullets.

But since that would require a lot of information about the cartridges issued and similar, using the same "rules" for all guns would make sense from a game point of view.

So simply allowing us to spend x seconds cleaning the gun would be an obvious way of dealing with it.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

USA Brigadier General

I remember pissing down the barrel being brought up, the last time we had this discussion. lol
    First Sergeant Joseph P. Brevett of Company B, 2nd Maryland Infantry

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;- William Shakespeare, Henry V

A Good Resource for The Maryland Campaign

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by JaegerCoyote View Post
    I remember pissing down the barrel being brought up, the last time we had this discussion. lol
    Now I wanna see a transcript.

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by JaegerCoyote View Post
    Well urine is slightly acidic, so it isn't totally crazy.

Pvt. William J. Sadowski

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by crazychester1247 View Post
    Well urine is slightly acidic, so it isn't totally crazy.
    True, but in the long run it will wreak havoc on your barrel. Urine as a gun cleaner is somewhat of an urban legend, best I know.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot

USA Brigadier General

Urine is a last resort measure
    First Sergeant Joseph P. Brevett of Company B, 2nd Maryland Infantry

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;- William Shakespeare, Henry V

A Good Resource for The Maryland Campaign

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    I dunno, if urine is good enough for Lt.Col. Hal Moore to cool his mortar tubes ... Should be good enough to scrub away some blackpowder build up.

Seriously, cleaning a weapon needs to be a thing.

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Seriously, cleaning a weapon needs to be a thing.
    I wholeheartedly agree.