Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lord John The Uniformed Youtuber

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Greetings Sir, Captains I believe also were instructed by the Regulations to wear single row of buttons, (I'll have to dig em up again and refresh myself.) As to the colors, true the CSA specified color, (GRAY/GREY,) but due to economic situations being what they were in the South during the conflict, qualities of ingredients and etc., were deficient thus producing a wide array of heavy dark gray to a washed out pale white gray. Color of your choice as long as it's gray.

Hello you can go here for good uniforms and equipment http://www.ccsutlery.com/store/ccsutlery.html if the link doesn't work look up c&c sutlery. I use them as a reanactor.

CSA Colonel

If this helps at all, this is Samuel Rice, who was a lieutenant in the 27th IMG_2298.JPG
    "If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was a grave mistake and the revolution to which it led was a crime. If Washington was a patriot; Lee cannot have been a rebel."

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right ..."

Wade Hampton III

CSA Lieutenant General

Are you trying for something that is generally speaking the 27th VA, or perhaps the 27th in 1862 (the campaign period of WoR)? There may or may not be a difference. Just keep that in mind. Depending on the location of mustering, there may have been difficulty getting issued gear. Early in 62 when some of the Virginia regiments that would be in Sharpsburg by September, were still in the hills of western Virginia, they were likely still wearing state issued or home attire. Perhaps by September 62 they may have had CSA issue. I myself have been trying to track down the specifics of what my Great Great Grandfather would have been wearing (he was Co. E, 31st VA INF), but I've had not much luck finding quartermaster documentation pertaining to uniform issue for that period.
    Last edited by dmurray6; 04-25-2017 at 06:04 PM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Colonel

My brother is sending me an all grey kepi with gold braids for my birthday. It has yet to arrive since its being made.

USA General of the Army

It varies. Most officers bought their own uniforms or had them altered. He would have most likely worn a single breasted frock, though sometimes you would see double breasted frocks on line officers. By 1862 they would have collar insignia and no braiding on the sleeves. Some may have the cuff piping added as alterations, but they still would have the three cuff buttons. All buttons would be VA state seal buttons as well, and the cloth for early portions of the war would have been "cadet gray" similar to VMI uniforms.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/552605816755247169/
    Last edited by Oleander; 05-14-2017 at 03:55 PM.