Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burnside's Bridge Suggestions

CSA Major

Burnside's Bridge Suggestions

I don't want to nit pick but Burnside's ridge is currently inaccurate.

Historically the Confederates had set up breastworks and rifle pits on the heights above the bridge. They also had a wall to the left of the bridge and a rock quarry to the right of it, currently none of these things can be found.

Also the Confederate treeline to the left of the bridge is too thick, Historically the bridge could be pretty well seen from the Confederate left.

Also, historically pretty much the whole river could be forded around the bridge, I understand that we can't for game-play purposes, however I suggest you make it fordable right under the bridge or just south of it. That way Union players have a better chance of getting across.

The geography of the map is wrong as well but I'm sure it's too late to change that, I will post it anyways just to show.

Below are some Pics showing my Suggestions and to show the Geography of the area irl.

Map as it appears in-game
    20170518043111_1.jpg

Map with Suggestions
    201705180431ff11_1.jpg

Actual Geography irl.
    Capturess.jpg

Here is another ma that shows the geography a bit better.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

Thanks for the suggestions.

Much of it is due to the nature of our Antietam map not being a completely 100% representation due to map size limits.

The location of our burnside is pretty much the location of the middle bridge.

- Trusty

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Much of it is due to the nature of our Antietam map not being a completely 100% representation due to map size limits.

The location of our burnside is pretty much the location of the middle bridge.

- Trusty
    Understandable. Is there anyway you could add the wall and other Confederate defenses, and lessen the trees on the left of the confederate side?

Also, adding a ford below the bridge will help the union out a bit.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Also, historically pretty much the whole river could be forded around the bridge, I understand that we can't for game-play purposes, however I suggest you make it fordable right under the bridge or just south of it. That way Union players have a better chance of getting across.
    It's been discussed (not here, but historically), that Snavely's Ford was about a mile downstream from the Rohrbach Bridge, and that approximately half way between Snavely's Ford and the bridge was a cattle ford that turned out to not be passable by infantry, due to both the depth of the ford and the flow of the creek. I'm all for having both fords, but keeping with CFG's goal of historical accuracy, maybe the Snavely's ford could be easier to pass because of its more shallow depth, while the cattle ford between Snavely's and the bridge could be passed much more slowly due to its greater "cattle" depth (i'm guessing you can change movement speed through various obstacles..). Does the technical constraints of map size allow for multiple fords to be placed south of the bridge, pending that there is in fact enough real estate south of the bridge on the in-game map? I've not yet played skirmishes, so cannot comment on such. I did check out Trusty's skirmishes video's though, VERY NICE! I'm excited.
    Last edited by dmurray6; 05-18-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    It's been discussed (not here, but historically), that Snavely's Ford was about a mile downstream from the Rohrbach Bridge, and that approximately half way between Snavely's Ford and the bridge was a cattle ford that turned out to not be passable by infantry, due to both the depth of the ford and the flow of the creek. I'm all for having both fords, but keeping with CFG's goal of historical accuracy, maybe the Snavely's ford could be easier to pass because of its more shallow depth, while the cattle ford between Snavely's and the bridge could be passed much more slowly due to its greater "cattle" depth (i'm guessing you can change movement speed through various obstacles..). Does the technical constraints of map size allow for multiple fords to be placed south of the bridge, pending that there is in fact enough real estate south of the bridge on the in-game map? I've not yet played skirmishes, so cannot comment on such. I did check out Trusty's skirmishes video's though, VERY NICE! I'm excited.
    Historically the creek could be forded right below (at) the bridge. Some union did ford right below (at) the bridge.

All the skirmish areas may be recieving some updates of various kinds in the future. But I thought it was quite interesting that the reason behind this particular one actually comes from our very first field report: https://warofrights.com/Fieldreport1

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Sweetroll View Post
    All the skirmish areas may be recieving some updates of various kinds in the future. But I thought it was quite interesting that the reason behind this particular one actually comes from our very first field report: https://warofrights.com/Fieldreport1
    I'm not saying you should create a ford down the creek somewhere, I'm just suggesting you create it to here the Union can ford right at the bridge (pretty much underneath it.

It's fine either way though. It's just really hard right now because The Confederates outnumber the Union and Because we don't have artillery.

I'm sure once artillery is added the Union will have an easier time at getting across the bridge.

I'm having fun either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I'm not saying you should create a ford down the creek somewhere, I'm just suggesting you create it to here the Union can ford right at the bridge (pretty much underneath it.

It's fine either way though. It's just really hard right now because The Confederates outnumber the Union and Because we don't have artillery.

I'm sure once artillery is added the Union will have an easier time at getting across the bridge.

I'm having fun either way.
    Please keep in mind that no balancing has been done yet. The CSA will get a much lower ticket count when it has.

- Trusty

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Please keep in mind that no balancing has been done yet. The CSA will get a much lower ticket count when it has.

- Trusty
    Haha, like on a 500:14000 ratio?
    Civil War Ancestors:

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    Haha, like on a 500:14000 ratio?
    Impossible to say at this stage. Balancing takes time.

- Trusty