Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ability to Rest your Weapon

USA Major

I know that sharpshooters rested their weapons on objects during the civil war, e.g. during sieges (siege of Vicksburg or Petersburg) because they optimized their position to shoot at a certain point in the defense line. I think it was in Petersburg where the confederate troops put pipes into the walls of their trenches to have a crenel. The Union sharpshooters were able to aim down that hole and shoot, hit and kill as soon as they saw movement behind that pipe. It's not a must have in my eyes, but a nice to have, now that I thought about it a little

CSA Captain

i would appreciate such a function too, may it a fence (bloody lane) or a wall (burnside bridge) there are spots where it would be very helpful to have a steady hand/ rifle
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    i would appreciate such a function too, may it a fence (bloody lane) or a wall (burnside bridge) there are spots where it would be very helpful to have a steady hand/ rifle
    They don't even have to create an animation or anything for this.

All they'd have to do is make it to where there is no sway (or very very little) when your near a fence or wall, etc. this way it represents you resting your weapon.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Bivoj View Post
    I had a tactical training lesson and military paintball game (with modified Firststrike T15, weight aprx. 4kg / 9lb) this weekend and I realised, that I never rest my weapon on any obstacle; only very rarely I rest my left-arm elbow (holding the barrel guard of the weapon) on some obstacle to ease my muscles, but without any real effect for aiming / weapon sway AND I immediately "take of" from the obstacle when I see target to shoot at. Actually, the weapon sway (without any rest) was minimal - I was able to aim at one spot for quite a long time and I did not need any support for the weapon.

When on real shooting range, I have more sway with short weapon (pistol, revolver), than with long weapons, holding them firmly by both hands and with weapon butt at my shoulder. I can imagine, that weapon rest can be helpful when firing fullauto, but it is not useful for single shot shooting with long weapon.

So, while I liked this feature in Red Orchestra, now, I am not sure if it has anything common with real warfare... Also, I am not sure about realism of weapon sway now.
    There was a major difference in accuracy going from the prone supported to the prone unsupported firing positions whenever I qualified with my rifle. And an even larger difference between prone and kneeling. That factor only increased after running around with Interceptor vest, Kevlar, and kit.
    Last edited by LTC Philip A. Work; 05-23-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Texans Always Move Them

USA 1st Lieutenant

+1 to this suggestion. Being a sharpshooter, this would really help in picking off those pesky Yankee officers. Perhaps this could be something that works only for the sharpshooter classes to encourage line infantry to do their jobs.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Yaksmack View Post
    +1 to this suggestion. Being a sharpshooter, this would really help in picking off those pesky Yankee officers. Perhaps this could be something that works only for the sharpshooter classes to encourage line infantry to do their jobs.
    It shouldn't be restricted to one class. All soldiers should have ability to rest their weapon.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Captain

I would like to somehow address most of the responses to my post:
    After some practice on shooting range (and, yes, I have M4 - both real and for paintball, so much shorter and weight-balanced), I must admit, that resting your weapon increases accuracy. From this point of view, implementing the feature would make sense.
    But when "playing paintball" (doing stuff much closer to real combat, than shooting range firing) almost nobody uses weapon rest. Also in blackpowder era - soldiers did not used weapon rests (at least not frequently); at least the doctrine and manuals do not describe weapon resting.

I believe the reason is, that the rest for the weapon is very inconvenient and in the end impractical for real combat.
    When you have your weapon loosely in your hands, you can:
    1) aim by moving your weapon left/right and up/down freely, while staying stationary (important for being in close order formation)
    2) you can conveniently stand or kneel/dodge and aim your weapon
    3) you can quickly react and move yourself in emergency situation

Wile resting your weapon means:
    1) you need to move your whole body, because weapon is "fixed", behaving like a lever (to aim left, you have to move one step to the right; to aim higher, you need to lower yourself) - especially impractical in close order, multi-rank formation
    2) no obstacle has ideal height (and if one has such height for you, it will not fit for taller/shorter person), so you usually need to lower yourself a bit to aim the weapon, i.e. stand in inconvenient position
    3) you need to raise the weapon from rest in case of emergency (enemy charge approaching, attack from flank etc.)
    4) the cover you are using as a rest is not used efficiently - when you are too close to the cover, you are more exposed

So, weapon resting has sense for machinegunners and sharpshooters on rather prepared cover, but is not really used by common soldiers as ad hoc help for aiming.

When implementing weapon rest, it would not be realistic and it would lead to inaccurate tactics, when the disadvantages are neglected.

CSA Major

"but is not really used by common soldiers as ad hoc help for aiming"

From my experience in modern combat, this is unequivocally not true. From the Confederate accounts of action against General Burnsides during the Knoxville campaign it was not true then either. Sergeant Needham from Co. D Thomas' Legion directly gave the order to form ranks among the trees to steady their aim.

In short, this would be a valuable addition to the game.