Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I second the notion of a Kill Count/Player win loose ratio

USA Captain

Please keep it the way it is with no public kill to death score. I wish far more games took the Team Fortress 2 approach of only showing a score that not only reflects your kills but also how well you're supporting your team and playing the objective.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takerith View Post
    People are naturally selfish in this instance and like to see how well they themselves did, rather than how their group did. I'd propose to make it like Squad, where you can't see kill count until the game ends.
    It will be to the best of my understanding. BUT it will not break it down to individual kills, but rather by unit kills.
    The developers wish to engender team play, not individual play.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    It will be to the best of my understanding. BUT it will not break it down to individual kills, but rather by unit kills.
    The developers wish to engender team play, not individual play.
    Games like TF2, Overwatch and Squad all encourage team play, and they all have individual kill counts. There are ways of encouraging team play aside from removing individuality and making a player feel like they have no value other than as a piece of meat with a musket.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    This isn't any of those games. Sorry.

This is based on the civil war with antiquated Napoleonic army manouvering. You will be penalized for running off from your company.

USA Captain

This is based on the civil war with antiquated Napoleonic army manouvering. You will be penalized for running off from your company.
    That argument doesn't fly with me tbh. Squad is about as different from TF2 and Overwatch as War of Rights is. Modern military combat still requires that you stick with a group, and Squad does a pretty good job of encouraging this style of play. This is done by making lone treks from spawn to any given point long and arduous, and you have to rely on an SL to put down a Rally Point or an FOB. It's pretty hard to get anywhere as a rambo in that game.

You can apply this argument to WoR very easily by changing a few words, it's kind of funny how similar both systems are: "This is done by making lone treks from spawn to any given point long and arduous, and you have to rely on a company to have a flagbearer."

Also, writing off any comparison to other games is a complete cop-out. Just because WoR is a unique game in a very original setting doesn't mean that it's immune to the lessons learned by the rest of gaming over the past 30 years or so. We can compare WoR to other games and WoR can draw influence from other games.

Also, we're not talking about running off from a company and going rambo, we're talking about recognising individual skill as well as the performance of a collective. Neither TF2 or Overwatch have immediate ways to display any given person's K/D, but they still display how well one is performing on a scoreboard based on how much they are contributing to the team. Squad doesn't even display people's kill until the end of the round. None of these games encourage rambo-style play, so I think WoR can take inspiration from these areas to make a compromise that keeps people happy and makes the game more fun.

USA Captain

Showing a kill count only at the very end of the game ----> People will completely disregard tactics and become Rambo? That's quite a slippery slope argument.

There should absolutely NOT be a computer generated unrealistic kill count
    it's not the vertual reality I personally want to see poison this ground breaking first person historical correct in essence regarding behavioural traits of the amiture combatant in the 1860s

Yes god damn it we want a kill count If you drive the enemy from the field and count his dead
    Mark your target , when the fighting is over go check the tree stump you were blazing away at
    If the corps is yours then you got a good hit

But be ready to argue with that arse from B section , he says he blow the fellahs brains out
    Gentleman your good shot , your comerades will know it soon enough,

Get with the program ladies ,, grow up this is the 1860s.

Viva

Perhaps a journalist mode or surgeon mode could allow those character players to assess casualties ( kill count ) as the reality did in fact do military reports post action or news paper articles reports etc etc An interesting concept being unique to those indivuals who chose this role within W of R

Mr ,,,, from Ireland

Sir War of rights has a unique opportunity to not be like every other war gaming format .
    Open your eyes enjoy the experience of a vertual reality that if you bothered to open Your eyes and historical intellect you might realise the " i want to be an individual like everyone else " attitude ,an attitude demanding the right to impose your boring Marshall Fantasy to this refreshing concept of 19th century vertual living archeological study is badly high and wide of the mark , try and feed your head, enlighten yourself to citizen soldiers fighting for ideals alian to most service aged men today , certainly this is obviously the case at this moment with your good self

When in your posts mr ,,,, from Ireland you reference "peoples kill counts " you mean your kill counts , ref scoreboard performance you mean your performance

Enjoy the concept for what it is , appreciate human deficiencies as they really played out in the 1860s it's all here if you only could clime off your pointless kill count high horse ,Your a good killer my god man the reality is you don't go telling people how many young beautiful lives you mashed into the ground. Your no Gallowglass ,

Try and preserve a gaming concept that's new and refreshing , observe fear hate death as it may really of happened in the past , Enjoy the world of buttons and uniforms made from sprigs of holly, enjoy a world without zips and AFVs a world with buck n ball and without HVAP 50 cal get with the program this is the 1860s

it old but it is beautiful
    Last edited by Leifr; 05-24-2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Double-post

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Kilburnblue View Post
    Mr ,,,, from Ireland

Sir War of rights has a unique opportunity to not be like every other war gaming format .
    Open your eyes enjoy the experience of a vertual reality that if you bothered to open Your eyes and historical intellect you might realise the " i want to be an individual like everyone else " attitude ,an attitude demanding the right to impose your boring Marshall Fantasy to this refreshing concept of 19th century vertual living archeological study is badly high and wide of the mark , try and feed your head, enlighten yourself to citizen soldiers fighting for ideals alian to most service aged men today , certainly this is obviously the case at this moment with your good self

When in your posts mr ,,,, from Ireland you reference "peoples kill counts " you mean your kill counts , ref scoreboard performance you mean your performance

Enjoy the concept for what it is , appreciate human deficiencies as they really played out in the 1860s it's all here if you only could clime off your pointless kill count high horse ,Your a good killer my god man the reality is you don't go telling people how many young beautiful lives you mashed into the ground. Your no Gallowglass ,

Try and preserve a gaming concept that's new and refreshing , observe fear hate death as it may really of happened in the past , Enjoy the world of buttons and uniforms made from sprigs of holly, enjoy a world without zips and AFVs a world with buck n ball and without HVAP 50 cal get with the program this is the 1860s

it old but it is beautiful
    ...you do know that WoR is a computer game, right? We're not actually marching off to war.

But seriously, you seem to be taking WoR for more than what it really is. Yeah, people in the American Civil War probably couldn't know how many people they killed, just like people today probably couldn't (except for certain circumstances, like close-quarters fighting). It's still not really a reason to not include them in a computer game. The point of a game, even a historical simulator like WoR is to enjoy a setting for what it was in the most authentic way possible without many of its actual drawbacks. This include the emotional/mental aspects of combat, like PTSD and the guilt for killing other people. Since we are in a computer game, we can detach ourselves from a moral question regarding murder. Therefore there's not really any reason to not include kill counts for an authenticity argument.

Also, like I said, just because WoR is a very unique game doesn't mean it is immune to the lessons learned by gaming over the last 30 years. Again, it is still a computer game. Sure, going against the norm can be considered innovative, but I don't see why removing something so inconsequential and minor would be a grand innovation. Again, Squad and other games encourage team play, like what WoR wants to do, without removing kill counts altogether.

Also, why do you keep calling me ",,,, from Ireland"? You can see my name in the post.

Try to look above and beyond the computer game horizon your currently emerssed in. It doesn't take a genius to work out W of R isn't real life , but the vertual historical circumstance and environmental paradox of the format allows an observer to see & take part in , note , the human action & reactions of an indivual or group of participants who emerssed in the role play shed there 21st century inabitions , understand and value this and you will see unfolding before your very eyes behavioural traits of men and women under pre ,actual and post combat conditions not whitenessed since 1865 .

Grow up soldier this is the 1860s

I refer to you as I do out of respectful regard
    French Anglo Military etiquette whilst the written form was in use pre electrickery would have you in communications with another officer addressed informally so you and I as officers and all who would note our correspondence would understand the un official and informal nature of our written joaust,
    Formally and publicly slight or effend me and its the dual and with any choice of weapon I'm far superior than the average

Viva
    Last edited by Kilburnblue; 05-24-2017 at 12:24 PM.

CSA Captain

I really have no preference whether or not their is a kill count added at the individual or group level or not at all. It'd be cool to maybe just have an estimation as though someone had counted the dead, obviously not in real time. As long as I don't get a pop up that says "KILL + 50XP" then you can do what you want with a kill count
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot