Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artillery

CSA Captain

Artillery

Just because I don't really know Artillery is planned? And if so when can we expect to see a early version of how that would work?

USA Brigadier General

Well it would go bang bang boom boom

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    There is way more stuff to come before artillery rolls on the field.

USA Sergeant

I just hope the shot is realistic. The current modern HE rounds are bugging me.

BTW devs in a future alpha update you should change the artillery strike from aforementioned modern HE rounds to something that makes more sense like airburst shells. You know the ones that blew up midair and sprayed shrapnel all over the place.

Pvt. William J. Sadowski

Quote Originally Posted by crazychester1247 View Post
    I just hope the shot is realistic. The current modern HE rounds are bugging me.

BTW devs in a future alpha update you should change the artillery strike from aforementioned modern HE rounds to something that makes more sense like airburst shells. You know the ones that blew up midair and sprayed shrapnel all over the place.
    That is exactly what the shells are. They do spray shrapnel.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Weren't rockets also used in the civil war?

USA General of the Army

Not really. A very very limited number of battles are known to have had them, but they never saw any kind of wide spread use.

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    That is exactly what the shells are. They do spray shrapnel.

- Trusty
    Technically yes, however by changing where they detonate you've completely changed their behavior. As I previously noted the game's current artillery is more similar to a modern HE round. In the ACW they didn't have explosives strong enough to spread out the shrapnel if the shells hit the ground. So they detonated them in the air. Gunpowder also isn't strong enough to induce the shell-shock effect the game currently has in it, at least not to that degree.

Pvt. William J. Sadowski

Quote Originally Posted by crazychester1247 View Post
    Technically yes, however by changing where they detonate you've completely changed their behavior. As I previously noted the game's current artillery is more similar to a modern HE round. In the ACW they didn't have explosives strong enough to spread out the shrapnel if the shells hit the ground. So they detonated them in the air. Gunpowder also isn't strong enough to induce the shell-shock effect the game currently has in it, at least not to that degree.
    Our shells explode above the ground. Most of them that is. We have coded a few bad ones that detonate closer to the ground than the rest.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

Automated artillery is ok for now. But I can't wait till player shot artillery becomes a thing!