Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else annoyed by the slow animations and lack of being able to interrupt?

USA Captain

Question Is anyone else annoyed by the slow animations and lack of being able to interrupt?

As the title says, Is anyone else annoyed by the slow animations in the game? For example switching to melee, it should not take ~3 seconds to be able to club someone with my rifle. I understand trying to make all the animations follow the drill manuals and such for the time. But I cant tell you how many times i've killed and been killed not due to anything else but being stuck in an animation. Its almost as bad as Arma 2. I think being able to interrupt animations (i know you can interrupt reloads) aswell as speeding them up would be great. Im not the best at explaining this via typing but surely others have noticed this aswell.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by W1Z25 View Post
    As the title says, Is anyone else annoyed by the slow animations in the game? For example switching to melee, it should not take ~3 seconds to be able to club someone with my rifle. I understand trying to make all the animations follow the drill manuals and such for the time. But I cant tell you how many times i've killed and been killed not due to anything else but being stuck in an animation. Its almost as bad as Arma 2. I think being able to interrupt animations (i know you can interrupt reloads) aswell as speeding them up would be great. Im not the best at explaining this via typing but surely others have noticed this aswell.
    Like the amount of time it takes for your character to go into melee mode after hitting "V"? For example, if you're in "at the ready" (right click after loading) position which looks similar to being in melee mode, you would think that pressing "V" should just have your soldier slightly drop his muzzle into melee mode (pending that you have your bayonet attached). I'm not sure at the moment what the actual animation is, but this is something that I could think off the top of my head, might have your character lift his weapon out of "at the ready" in order to go into melee, which would be counter-productive. I'll have to test that when I get home. But I do know what you mean. With a bayonet attached, and having just fired your round, it shouldn't be too difficult to hit "V" and go right into melee, instead of bringing the weapon back to wherever its going, be it shoulder arms or at-the-ready, thinking you wish to reload instead of stab a charging opponent.
    Last edited by dmurray6; 05-22-2017 at 07:14 PM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA General of the Army

I was thinking about this earlier. I'll be so glad when they can get the smoothing between animations sorted out. I hate being in the kneeling position, then having to stand to fix my bayonet and kneel down again.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    I was thinking about this earlier. I'll be so glad when they can get the smoothing between animations sorted out. I hate being in the kneeling position, then having to stand to fix my bayonet and kneel down again.
    +1 another quality suggestion.

But I'm guessing this falls into the "we have bigger bugs to fix or more important updates to make currently", I'm sure they're making note of all the little suggestions.
    Civil War Ancestors:

We do want the animations to be realistic and somewhat plausible for what you can do in real life. We are by no means finished with this and you would probably be surprised by the incredibly amount of transitions and rules there are for each transition and stance to be allowed and triggered.

Assuming you have the bayonet attached. If you go into ready, the character should just go into regular ready. If you then hit V, all the character should be doing in the current build, is to drop the rifle down to the lower melee mode stance. Currently you are allowed to be in Ready for 1 second while moving. It may be that if you start moving in Ready. And then after 1.1 second, you hit V for melee mode. The character will already have triggered the shoulder arms transition, currently forcing you to have to wait for that to finish before you can enter melee mode.

But this is something that will be improved down the line as development continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    Yeah we currently dont have an animation for fixing the bayonet while kneeled. Will be added in the future.

CSA Captain

Yeah right now the animations give the game a kind of clunky and slow feeling, and I'll be honest and say it definitely tests my patience as a player. Improving animations and the ability to cancel them smoothly will be the key to making the experience 100x better.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Sweetroll View Post
    We do want the animations to be realistic and somewhat plausible for what you can do in real life. We are by no means finished with this and you would probably be surprised by the incredibly amount of transitions and rules there are for each transition and stance to be allowed and triggered.

Assuming you have the bayonet attached. If you go into ready, the character should just go into regular ready. If you then hit V, all the character should be doing in the current build, is to drop the rifle down to the lower melee mode stance. Currently you are allowed to be in Ready for 1 second while moving. It may be that if you start moving in Ready. And then after 1.1 second, you hit V for melee mode. The character will already have triggered the shoulder arms transition, currently forcing you to have to wait for that to finish before you can enter melee mode.

But this is something that will be improved down the line as development continues.
    We all like to believe we're telling you things you haven't already thought of The fact that the skirmishes mode has played pretty flawlessly for me, spare a few crashes or transitions between skirmishes, is very impressive, and to think that CFGs has accomplished this, makes me feel secure in the fact that you have the best interest of the game and players in mind, to include your time table for managing implementations and upgrades.
    Last edited by dmurray6; 05-22-2017 at 08:26 PM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

Quote Originally Posted by yoyo8346 View Post
    Yeah right now the animations give the game a kind of clunky and slow feeling, and I'll be honest and say it definitely tests my patience as a player. Improving animations and the ability to cancel them smoothly will be the key to making the experience 100x better.
    They are always going to be on the slow side as we are following military manuals and due to the fact that we are not looking to create a fast paced twitch based shooter.

As Fancy stated, the animation system of WoR is incredibly complex due to the fact that we cover so many stances and transitions. Naturally there are still plenty of bugs around to squash.

- Trusty

The only one I really mind is bayonetless melee. I could do what is done in game in half the time with my rifle.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png