Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Range

CSA Captain

Rifle Range

First, let me just say that I love the idea of making it more realistic and incorporating bullet drop into the game. I think it's awesome that we have to think about the target's range. I understand the technical limitations that may exist to prevent the need for windage adjustments, but I digress...

Would it be possible to get a training range (or even open back up the camps) so that people can practice marksmanship skills? I love the concept of making this more of a skill and patience win out over twitchy weighted mice. Its hard to gauge and improve marksmanship skills without any serious feedback. Even troops in this era had range time to develop their skills.

I imagine that a lot of players (like myself) are new to the game as of the release of skirmishes. without ever seeing range time, it is nearly impossible to reliably make marksmanship adjustments.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

USA 1st Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsme Indaface View Post
    Even troops in this era had range time to develop their skills.
    Well, they didn't have much. The Army of the Potomac got about 10 rounds to practice with after Gettysburg, IIRC.
    But that shouldn't prevent us from having time to practice here.

Best,
    Dman979

Well, we had the drill camp... and I think it will come back in the future.

USA Sergeant

Actually firing on a range was done very very little. The typical soldier never learned anything about range estimation and marksmanship.

The armies had plenty of issues getting the men to load and fire their guns correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dman979 View Post
    Well, they didn't have much. The Army of the Potomac got about 10 rounds to practice with after Gettysburg, IIRC.
    But that shouldn't prevent us from having time to practice here.

Best,
    Dman979
    In april 1864 ;-)
    so they could learn how to correctly load their guns...
    (just posted the full order from the OR in another topic)
    Last edited by thomas aagaard; 05-24-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

CSA Captain

thanks for the historical corrections. I thought that the armies were using the principals from Henry Heth's book, A System of Target Practice. Upon further review, this was not possible, as the book was written about 9 years later.

USA Sergeant

A number of handbooks about marksmanship existed in English. But they where not used to any great extent.

(Cleburne used his knowledge of the British system and did teach it in his command... but without official support and plenty of cartridges issued for it, there was a limit to what he could do. But at least he tried)
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

USA Major

I would like to see the drill fields return. Not only for practicing firing but also for practicing formation movement. There isn't time in the skirmishes to waste trying to get everyone in line. People need a way to learn how to do this quickly outside of combat so they don't cause their side to lose.
    Lightfoot

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
    I would like to see the drill fields return. Not only for practicing firing but also for practicing formation movement. There isn't time in the skirmishes to waste trying to get everyone in line. People need a way to learn how to do this quickly outside of combat so they don't cause their side to lose.
    Seconded, I want to gauge rifle range and drop off also.
    4th Texas 'C' Company

The Drill camp will be back, as soon as we adjusted some UI work

CSA Captain

Fantastic news Hinkel
    4th Texas 'C' Company