Thread: In Game Chat System

USA Major

In Game Chat System

Does anyone know the enter workings of it?
    The shortcut keys show commands of:
    Enter - Chat
    Comma - Global Chat
    Period - Team chat

How do these all work? Who can see messages? Is there a distance limit like on voice? Do both sides see all messages?

I haven't seen any of the officers try to use chat to reach beyond their in game voice system limits so I suspect there are reasons. I see some system messages that appear global (both sides) but others it isn't as clear as to the limits on it.
    Lightfoot

We decided to only include team chat (enter) a few days before the release. The other keybindings will be removed from the UI in a future update.

- Trusty

Banned
    There are some innovative communication methods here. This includes the officer drawing lines and voice chat. I haven't gotten the alpha game myself to know. Will we get voice bindings , voice commands, aka sound board, in the game?

USA Major

Is it still team chat only? I have seen a number of comments in chat that indicated it was game wide (both sides were seeing it).

Which brings up a little problem. I like the idea of current voice chat that is in game and simulates actual battlefield chat. That is, you can only hear near by people so using it to coordinate large bodies of troops isn't possible. But I also worry that this will be undone by third party systems like TeamSpeak which will allow a side to more easily coordinate actions and make in game voice pointless.
    Lightfoot

Text chat is team based only. If you wish to coordinate with an officer further away than the 3D voice range simply use the text chat.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Text chat is team based only. If you wish to coordinate with an officer further away than the 3D voice range simply use the text chat.

- Trusty
    Its also more realistic, in my company and division as a whole when we hold organized line battles or skirmishes we use runners to spread word of maneuvers, deployments, or enemy positions to our fellow Confederate companies. TS is great but using the in game voice command is more historically accurate and therefore that's how we go about it.
    STONEWALL JACKSON'S II CORPS
    MAJOR GENERAL PAIOLETTI
    Commander of the 6th Louisiana Tigers

Banned
    Do they need voice actors? Let me tell you, they never get squad voice command menus in this International Indie model and its so necessary. If I don't get a voice command menu right next to the voice chat, I'll make my own soundboard and pipe it through the mic.

@PAIOLETTI Do they need voice actors? Let me tell you, they never get squad voice command menus in this International Indie model and its so necessary. If I don't get a voice command menu right next to the voice chat, I'll make my own soundboard and pipe it through the mic. I have never seen an "in game voice command" featured. Lets parse words here. By the way, no thank you, I find teenagers yelling boys and yipeekaye , no, TS and VOIP is immersion breaking as it always is. They just aren't talking about world of Warcraft for the recorded videos I wager.

@Liefr Agreed. Strange inability for me earlier. It prevented edits.
    Last edited by KoreanPCA; 07-02-2017 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Double-post

CSA Major

Hi KoreanPCA.
    I have merged your posts, please do not double-post in the future.

Regards.