Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-game planning and organization timer

CSA Colonel

Lightbulb Pre-game planning and organization timer

So it seems that currently there is a mad dash at the beginning of every skirmish round to get to the point with cursory organizational efforts done by those stepping up to a leadership role. This leads to more instances of rambos and NaS-esque style combat.

I propose (if possible) adding a 3 to 5 minute timer at the beginning of a match to allow both sides to get organized and formulate a plan. During this time areas not immediately around the spawn area would be off limits and subject to the "desertion" timer. Again, this would allow leaders to form their companies correctly and assign areas of responsibility to different sub-units without having to worry about losing the tactical advantage to the other team who may simply start sprinting to the objective right after spawn.

I've seen these kind of rules enforced in other games such as the ARMA series and they seem to be a very positive way to encourage teamwork without directly affecting the player experience during combat.

Texans Always Move Them

USA Major

+1 very good idea imho

USA Captain

+1 I like it. I remember mentioning in 2015 that there shouldn't be a mad dash to the objective.
    "Better dead than reb"- Someone probably

CSA Captain

Brilliant... the start of each battle always descends into COD!
    Last edited by Charles Caldwell; 06-02-2017 at 09:03 AM.
    4th Texas 'C' Company

USA General of the Army

Agreed ...
    PUGs will always need some pre-organization regardless of how organized most units become
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Major

Nice. I like this idea.

USA Captain

+1 from me as well! Good idea, although i really wouldnt make it too long. 5 Minutes can be quite the slog to sit through, especially when not many people are on the server to organize themselves. Maybe have the time scale with Players?

Cpt. William Hexamer
    Battery Commander

Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by zerosius View Post
    +1 from me as well! Good idea, although i really wouldnt make it too long. 5 Minutes can be quite the slog to sit through, especially when not many people are on the server to organize themselves. Maybe have the time scale with Players?
    Meaning with like 200 players, you have to wait like 30 Minutes to get into action ? i dont think that will get much acceptance from the player base.
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

CSA Captain

+1 I very much like this idea. Gives time for everyone to load up, officers to exchange tactics and NCO's to get their men into formations. Will definitely make games a lot more organised than having people running aroun like headless chickens.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    I agree.
    The organization thing is why I'd like to include the drill camp maps with the campaigns.