Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Melee feels incredibly nasty.

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by DefenderUSAF View Post
    I'm relatively new to the game but I've already decided I would like to see a different melee system. It seems like every time I try to stab someone it doesn't work and he stabs me instead. I used to play RO2 a lot and the melee system was simple and effective. If you stabbed first you usually killed them. I know this is a different type of combat but there's not much difference when it comes to stabbing with a bayonet.

I would also recommend that instead of a melee mode there would be just a melee attack. It seems unnatural that you would have to switch modes just to stab or buttstroke with the same weapon you are already holding.
    I should point out that if you feel like you stabbed someone first but you're the one who ends up dying, it's very possible that you both killed each other. It's happened to me more times than I can count. :P

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    A melee mode is needed due to our wish to have as much historical authenticity as possible (Charge bayonets!)

I agree the thrust probably could be sped up a bit in order to shorten the animation and thus making it easier for the player to time the thrust.

- Trusty
    I suppose if you speed up the thrust that would work as well. My thinking was that it should be easy to stab with a weapon you are already holding if you were suddenly attacked. This of course was possible in 1862 although it would have been rare but so were bayonet charges. It would help if you could quickly switch to melee mode from any other position such as firing or reloading. Perhaps a function that had a weak melee attack from another mode which then puts you in full melee mode until you turn it off.

I think in part what encourages the bayonet charges is the ability to rush up and stab a player by catching him while he is not in melee mode. Then again I'm new to the game and still getting used to the controls and mechanics so maybe it's easier to switch that I think.