Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Melee feels incredibly nasty.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    When the flag bearer spawn system has been introduced I think the mentality of dying will change quite a bit for the players. It means a quicker way to spawn right back in the action, sure, but these flag bearer spawn tickets are limited and the base spawn wave timer will be increased by quite a bit compared to how it is now. Will be interesting to see how it works out for sure.

- Trusty

Good!! Thank you!
    Col. Hatcher
    Adjutant, Drayton's Brigade

In Memoriam of my Confederate Ancestors:

Lt. General Nathan Bedford Forrest, Major William H. Forrest, Lt. Col. Aaron Forrest, Col. Jeffrey Forrest, Lt. Col. Jesse Forrest, Captain James M. Cathey, Harrison Haynes, Harper Haynes, Jopseh Martin, William G. Hatcher, John A. Hatcher, John J. Hatcher, D. Wesley Hatcher, James L. Hatcher

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    A leader being elected is much worse than anyone joining.

And any official word on greatly speeding up fixing bayobet and switching to melee?
    Yet again, in attempt to put this back on topic...

@Devs
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    Yet again, in attempt to put this back on topic...
    It's not something we're planning to do, no(but obviously we still have the usual alpha and everything is subject to change disclaimer). You should be getting a somewhat better melee experience in the next build though thanks to some general camera changes (returning your view to the center of the screen instead of where you were looking before you started your animation).

- Trusty

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    It's going to take time to develop. The current attack delay is a stop-gap fix for bayonet spamming.
    Once block and/or parry (+new animations) comes in, the melee would be a lot different.
    You should make suggestion of what features you would want to see out of the melee.
    Common sense ("basic") action will probably be in.

I will look forward to the mele animations instead of the "Stop-gap fix" . . . Else its like having sex with no finish.
    To capture a certain point you will have to remove the enemie, and this often will mean charge, playing against the clock.

The current state of the game is just great, real mele, more fluid movement thats what i like to se improved. Else great Work.

USA Captain

We have several melee-related ideas and wishes that we’re going to be trying out little by little as we expand upon the initial melee system. Some of these include:

Different attack angles, allowing players to tactically choose from which angle to attack or parry.

A Counter attack option that will allow the players to choose to gamble before an attack. If parried at just the right time the player will get an opening for a counter attack, if not exactly parried the player will be off balance and give the opponent another opening for a second attack.

Crazed berserk mode: If the player manages to kill several enemies in melee there is a chance that he’ll enter a trance state where everything but his immediate vicinity is out of focus while his stamina regeneration - as well as total stamina amount - greatly increases, upping the amount of times he can perform melee actions and sprints.

This is what we’re planning for the stages of development for melee combat. Let us know what you think in the comments below!

I just expect the description come true.........

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by cheeyeah View Post
    We have several melee-related ideas and wishes that we’re going to be trying out little by little as we expand upon the initial melee system. Some of these include:

Different attack angles, allowing players to tactically choose from which angle to attack or parry.

A Counter attack option that will allow the players to choose to gamble before an attack. If parried at just the right time the player will get an opening for a counter attack, if not exactly parried the player will be off balance and give the opponent another opening for a second attack.

Crazed berserk mode: If the player manages to kill several enemies in melee there is a chance that he’ll enter a trance state where everything but his immediate vicinity is out of focus while his stamina regeneration - as well as total stamina amount - greatly increases, upping the amount of times he can perform melee actions and sprints.

This is what we’re planning for the stages of development for melee combat. Let us know what you think in the comments below!

I just expect the description come true.........
    I like number one, two is just flat out ridiculous :P

USA Captain

I'm relatively new to the game but I've already decided I would like to see a different melee system. It seems like every time I try to stab someone it doesn't work and he stabs me instead. I used to play RO2 a lot and the melee system was simple and effective. If you stabbed first you usually killed them. I know this is a different type of combat but there's not much difference when it comes to stabbing with a bayonet.

I would also recommend that instead of a melee mode there would be just a melee attack. It seems unnatural that you would have to switch modes just to stab or buttstroke with the same weapon you are already holding.

Quote Originally Posted by DefenderUSAF View Post
    I'm relatively new to the game but I've already decided I would like to see a different melee system. It seems like every time I try to stab someone it doesn't work and he stabs me instead. I used to play RO2 a lot and the melee system was simple and effective. If you stabbed first you usually killed them. I know this is a different type of combat but there's not much difference when it comes to stabbing with a bayonet.

I would also recommend that instead of a melee mode there would be just a melee attack. It seems unnatural that you would have to switch modes just to stab or buttstroke with the same weapon you are already holding.
    A melee mode is needed due to our wish to have as much historical authenticity as possible (Charge bayonets!)

I agree the thrust probably could be sped up a bit in order to shorten the animation and thus making it easier for the player to time the thrust.

- Trusty

USA Major

I find the switch to melee mode a bit slow. Combined with difficulty of pressing the "V" key (when your fingers are over the W,A,D keys it is a bit hard to reach without looking down at your keyboard. But hopefully at some point the game will add remapping the keys to fix that.

Also, it would help if the melee practice dummy's gave some feed back similar to the rifle targets so you could practice melee with the bayonet and tell if you were doing it correctly. It appears the "thrust" by left click only "kills" if you are at the right distance from the target and facing properly for the bayonet to make contact. Having a "hit" marker on the dummy pop up like it does on the firing range would be very helpful.

And, I still not sure you can kill with the bayonet from charge mode other than by "thrusting".
    Lightfoot

USA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    A melee mode is needed due to our wish to have as much historical authenticity as possible (Charge bayonets!)

I agree the thrust probably could be sped up a bit in order to shorten the animation and thus making it easier for the player to time the thrust.

- Trusty
    I'm curious to know if anything more is planned to try to discourage bayonet charges, though, considering they weren't as common at the time as they once were, and yet everyone really wants to do it all the time in-game. They're a lot of fun, of course, but it feels strange that I'm certain that more than half of my kills are due to the bayonet. Not just because we charge a lot, but because the enemy gets so close and tries to charge us first. More adjustments to aiming perhaps?