Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Higher than Captain - Joined Companies - Battalions

Higher than Captain - Joined Companies - Battalions

I know that some people who are in command of more than one company refer to themselves as major, colonel, general, etc. I think there should be a system in the company tool where multiple companies can join together under one higher leader. For example, two companies together might make the leader a major, and there would still be the rank of captain. Three, lieutenant colonel. Four, colonel. Five, brigadier general. The highest rank should be able to control all of the companies under him/her, as well as allowing people below him/her to command companies within that division. Of that, I mean: Lets say there's a colonel in command of 4 companies. This colonel can assign a captain to command one and a lieutenant colonel to command the other three, or two majors, and these majors could then assign captains for the two companies they have.
    This would be complicated, but it could help people with multiple companies together be more organized and it would be easier to control.
    Corporal John L.
    Color Guard
    38th North Carolina, Company K

USA General of the Army

Would also need to add the higher Ranks to the drop down menu
    Also wouldn't mind seeing Sniper added to the Set Role drop down menu
    And additional platoon numbers added to Assign to Platoon drop down menu
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    IF this is done, I'd sooner see companies joined to for actual historical regiments, Brigades, Divisions, then Corps. I mean after all the Devs have promised this to be as authentic as practical.

I'm not really into the humbo jumbo of "yeah we'll take anyone just to have a massive army look."

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    IF this is done, I'd sooner see companies joined to for actual historical regiments, Brigades, Divisions, then Corps. I mean after all the Devs have promised this to be as authentic as practical.

I'm not really into the humbo jumbo of "yeah we'll take anyone just to have a massive army look."
    Yeah and some aren't really into to joining people who give themselves a historical name thus that must be historical accurate to join. Everybody can make a historical name sit back and say join me to be historical. Some people make there own battalion / legion or whatever to work with the companies they actually enjoy playing the game with. Do not see a wrong in that people trying to build something to have the best gaming experience. Freedom the game offers right
    Last edited by brentcarter; 06-06-2017 at 02:58 AM.

CSA Captain

I am very much hoping for the Company Tool to support battalions/regiment size. It's a little tricky taking care of multiple companies at the moment.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot

The typical infantry regiment of the early Civil War consisted of 10 companies (each with exactly 100 men, according to Hardee's 1855 manual, and led by a captain, with associated lieutenants). Field officers normally included a colonel (commanding), lieutenant colonel, and at least one major.

I am content with companies because to me, it makes the most logical sense when I sit back.

I think if a huge push on making Battalions and Regiments were to come, Battalions is really the highest we should or even could go, but
    That's just me.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Armistead View Post
    The typical infantry regiment of the early Civil War consisted of 10 companies (each with exactly 100 men, according to Hardee's 1855 manual, and led by a captain, with associated lieutenants). Field officers normally included a colonel (commanding), lieutenant colonel, and at least one major.

I am content with companies because to me, it makes the most logical sense when I sit back.

I think if a huge push on making Battalions and Regiments were to come, Battalions is really the highest we should or even could go, but
    That's just me.
    I would say that for now, yes, battalions are the probably the highest unit level of command realistically speaking. I don't doubt that eventually someone could pull out a full regiment out of that battalion. While your assessments for unit sizes are accurate according to what the manual called for, you'll see many units have much less in each company throughout the war. For example, on the 3rd day at Gettysburg, the 26th North Carolina only had about 212 men total. They started with 800.

I know there are already multiple units that are forming legit battalions and already have over 100 men, so I see a battalion support in the Company Tool as a great asset for those wishing to solidify the affiliation between companies.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia

I would be fine with higher organisation, but no one should be able to achieve a rank above captain.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    I would be fine with higher organisation, but no one should be able to achieve a rank above captain.
    Why? There's guys out there with organizations with 300+ guys. That would merit a Major. I would say the highest practical realistically speaking rank would be Colonel.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings

There should only be captains, who themselves could vote on anything needed, and in any battle where something higher is required one captain is randomly chosen to be that major/colonel
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png