Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Higher than Captain - Joined Companies - Battalions

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    There should only be captains, who themselves could vote on anything needed, and in any battle where something higher is required one captain is randomly chosen to be that major/colonel
    What if the randomly assigned team leader either doesn't want it or is woefully incompetent? also sure if that Major/Colonel doesn't start trying to throw around their weight why does it matter to another company what rank a separate associations may have for their leader. In my mind I believe that War of Rights events(the grand battle ones) will be companies and associations cooperating together rather than having a single army chain for an entire team unless it that team is filled with a single association.

CSA Major

Options are always good to have.

Freedom to create a battalion or larger
    Freedom to stay just a company and find others to cooperate with
    Have a set leadership or rotate the leaders

As long as you have these freedoms it will solve itself and people will find there place and structure that works best for them

There is still a problem with the next level of command!

For example the battalion problem... (with a Major in command):

Should it be possible just for companies of the same regiment? (authentic)
    Or should it be possible to form battalions with companies of different regiments? (historically wrong)

Fancy and I would like to go the authentic way, the problem will be with those companies, who share the same regiment, but hate each other and are not able to work together.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post

Or should it be possible to form battalions with companies of different regiments? (historically wrong)

Fancy and I would like to go the authentic way, the problem will be with those companies, who share the same regiment, but hate each other and are not able to work together.
    I guess it comes down to whether the developers will force authenticity on the game or if they will try to encourage it but not force it. In my opinion forcing authenticity would near enough remove any chance of a company tool association for most of the associations in the game(mine included). Obviously i have a vested interest in the developers not forcing authenticity but I would understand it if it had to happen. I hope the developers let the community have the freedom to chose if they wish to use a historical association or if they wish to work with other companies that they are friendly with even if it isn't authentic.

CSA Major

Yes that will be a problem in some cases. You can already see that problem with the regiments battalions brigades formed and fallen apart.
    Reason why a few of us companies formed our own group to drill and skirmish with. The combination of our companies is not historically correct but I would not say it is wrong either. We are all respecting our company's history that is for sure. It stays a online game and it would be much more wrong to force people to work together in a setting they do not enjoy compared to the historical authentic approach.

But might I ask which ever road you take on this. Best to make this known soon so we as players know what we can form for the future.
    Last edited by Profender; 06-08-2017 at 11:48 AM.

USA Captain

I think it would be really cool to see authentic regiments and brigades form, but i am almost certain that it wont work out for a number of reasons, including them "hating" each other, or simply enough not wanting to be forced to work together with random people just because they chose the same regiment.

I think in the end if also comes down to what exactly the planned implentations of higher level associations look like. If it is intended to actually function as an out of game organizational tool for communities with lots of member companies, then it really can only work imho when you allow the formation of ahistorical associations of brigades or legions.

Cpt. William Hexamer
    Battery Commander

Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers

USA General of the Army

Have to Agree with you two ...
    - Time Zones can also be a factor in making it unmanageable
    - One of the things that drew me to Southern Independent Brigade is the fact that it is a coalition of Like-Minded Commanders who want to rotate Higher Command (for engagements) so that everyone gets a chance to Lead and Learn.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Put me in the 100 percent authentic camp, but I'm sure you already knew which way I'd swing.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Put me in the 100 percent authentic camp, but I'm sure you already knew which way I'd swing.
    Considering what you are trying to form you would benefit very heavily from the devs forcing people into historical command chains, compared to others who have formed their own associations and bringing previously unassociated groups together into communities, prime example being the Southern Independent Brigade.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Stalin View Post
    Considering what you are trying to form you would benefit very heavily from the devs forcing people into historical command chains, compared to others who have formed their own associations and bringing previously unassociated groups together into communities, prime example being the Southern Independent Brigade.
    Same for us at the German Volunteers. I mean we would just play together anyway, but it would be cool if we could actually form a legion ingame.

Cpt. William Hexamer
    Battery Commander

Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers