Thread: Greatest Day of the 20th Century

CSA Captain

Greatest Day of the 20th Century

Late spring of 1944, World War II is in it's fifth year in Europe, the German Army has been suffering defeats in North Africa, Sicily, at the Battle of Stalingrad and Kursk in Russia even though it still controlled Europe from the Russian steppes to Atlantic coast in France. Only way to liberate Europe from Nazi controlled was to overload them on the beaches of northern France, Dwight D. Eisenhower and his subordinates devised a plan to free France and the rest of Europe from Nazi control. They would storm the beaches of Normandy in a do or die attack, if they would succeed, the beginning of the end of the Nazi regime would start ticking and if they would fail, the world as they know it would be under Nazi control. They called this Operation Overlord. It would involve a joint air and sea attack on the fortified beaches with the code names of Utah, Omaha, Sword, Gold, and Juno. Before the attack, Eisenhower wrote a letter to the Allied Forces: "You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world." On June 6, 1944, the Allied Forces would start bombing the entrenched positions of the Nazi forces. During the bombardment thousands of Allied soldiers were parachuted behind the Nazi lines disrupt any incoming Nazi forces from the mainland France. Soon the first Allied troops were landing in their specified sectors, American forces were designated Utah and Omaha sectors, British Forces were designated Sword and Gold sectors, and a Canadian force was designated Juno sector. American forces met horrendous fire from Omaha beach, this is where most of the casualties would be from. While other American forces on Utah beach met little resistance. The British met little resistance compared to the Americans on Omaha on the beaches of Sword and Gold, as well as the Canadians on Juno Beach. All forces would succeed in pushing the Nazi forces back from the Beaches of Normandy, ensuring that they can bring in more troops from England and link of with Resistance fighters in France. After June 6 ended, the Allied forces suffered least 10000 men compared to the 1000 suffered by the Germans. If it wasn't for the heroics of these men and women, World War II would end up differently than we would know it today.
    Last edited by Saris; 06-06-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    Texas Poppin B
    My Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/c/SarisTX

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Saris View Post
    Late spring of 1944, World War II is in it's fifth year in Europe, the German Army has been suffering defeats in North Africa, Sicily, at the Battle of Stalingrad and Kursk in Russia even though it still controlled Europe from the Russian steppes to Atlantic coast in France. Only way to liberate Europe from Nazi controlled was to overload them on the beaches of northern France, Dwight D. Eisenhower and his subordinates devised a plan to free France and the rest of Europe from Nazi control. They would storm the beaches of Normandy in a do or die attack, if they would succeed, the beginning of the end of the Nazi regime would start ticking and if they would fail, the world as they know it would be under Nazi control. They called this Operation Overlord. It would involve a joint air and sea attack on the fortified beaches with the code names of Utah, Omaha, Sword, Gold, and Juno. Before the attack, Eisenhower wrote a letter to the Allied Forces: "You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world." On June 6, 1944, the Allied Forces would start bombing the entrenched positions of the Nazi forces. During the bombardment thousands of Allied soldiers were parachuted behind the Nazi lines disrupt any incoming Nazi forces from the mainland France. Soon the first Allied troops were landing in their specified sectors, American forces were designated Utah and Omaha sectors, British Forces were designated Sword and Gold sectors, and a Canadian force was designated Juno sector. American forces met horrendous fire from Omaha beach, this is where most of the casualties would be from. While other American forces on Utah beach met little resistance. The British met little resistance compared to the Americans on Omaha on the beaches of Sword and Gold, as well as the Canadians on Juno Beach. All forces would succeed in pushing the Nazi forces back from the Beaches of Normandy, ensuring that they can bring in more troops from England and link of with Resistance fighters in France. After June 6 ended, the Allied forces suffered least 10000 men compared to the 1000 suffered by the Germans. If it wasn't for the heroics of these men and women, World War II would end up differently than we would know it today.
    Nice write up, I'm not going to nitpick with anything you wrote. I have driven almost everyday of my adult life on US Route 29, which runs from Maryland to Pensacola, FL. In our region of Maryland it is dedicated to the 29th Infantry Division which was made up of Army National Guard units from Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, and West Virginia. These men were in the first wave on Omaha Beach during Operation Overlord. I'm glad I have a daily reminder of their sacrifices and unselfish deeds to the world!
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA Sergeant

Yeah, the Soviets would have ended up conquering ALL of Nazi Germany.

I jest of course, one of my grand-uncles was mortally wounded on Utah beach.

Pvt. William J. Sadowski

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    One of the truly best kept secrets of the Second World War!

Huzzah!

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    One of the truly best kept secrets of the Second World War!

Huzzah!
    The operations Britain's intelligence services launched to mislead German high command prior to the invasion could be counted as some of the most important and successful covert operations of all-time as well. D-Day truly was one of the single most important days in history.

Pvt. William J. Sadowski

CSA Captain

A few weeks back I actually had the honour of meeting a veteran of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division that was on Juno beach that day. He said their Colonel was killed almost immediately by German artillery.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by crazychester1247 View Post
    Yeah, the Soviets would have ended up conquering ALL of Nazi Germany.

I jest of course, one of my grand-uncles was mortally wounded on Utah beach.
    Sorry to hear that CC!! That's kind of unusual to hear also, he was very unfortunate, as during my trip to Normandy, they seemed very adamant about stressing how "not so Omaha Beach" that Utah Beach was. It makes you realize that peoples ancestors get lost in the translation when someone can say "oh, well, that beach wasn't nearly as bad as the others". Tell that to the guys that didn't make it.
    Civil War Ancestors: