Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reduce Artillery fire into spawns

USA Lieutenant General

It would make the most sense for the gathering points (spawn areas) for the armies to be located somewhere "out of range" of enemy artillery. So I would support the idea of zero artillery in those areas.

CSA Captain

It should be noted during any discussion about spawn zones and organization that both sides behave differently on account of the Attack/Defend nature of the current implementation of Skirmishes.

The CSA, having to defend the point at all costs, often loads their muskets and rushes straight to the objective before organizing, and once on point officers would divvy up men for different details, company members would meet up, and the team as a whole will then react to what the US team and its' groups will do.

The USA prepares almost entirely in-spawn, officers forming the men up and planning their next assault before marching out, and sometimes establishing rally points to rejoin the unit in the field upon death.

Note that this is what I myself have seen happen most of the time, no doubt I have seen Rebel units march out of spawn pre-organized or the US team scramble from spawn to an assault point before organizing.
    1stNCSS(A)-1st Sgt. Reed

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
    It should be noted during any discussion about spawn zones and organization that both sides behave differently on account of the Attack/Defend nature of the current implementation of Skirmishes.

The CSA, having to defend the point at all costs, often loads their muskets and rushes straight to the objective before organizing, and once on point officers would divvy up men for different details, company members would meet up, and the team as a whole will then react to what the US team and its' groups will do.

The USA prepares almost entirely in-spawn, officers forming the men up and planning their next assault before marching out, and sometimes establishing rally points to rejoin the unit in the field upon death.

Note that this is what I myself have seen happen most of the time, no doubt I have seen Rebel units march out of spawn pre-organized or the US team scramble from spawn to an assault point before organizing.
    Can we stay on topic please

USA Brigadier General

While I see the arty in spawn as a nuisance I doesn't bother me I think of it as enemy fire coming in and generally speaking your less likely to be hit by the arty opposed to enemy fire. For the confederates i think it would be better to not have it as frequent so that it's close to one in a million of getting hit, since they have reduced tickets. For union I've only been hit because the union leaders can't form up quick enough it happens all the time that I see people who want more numbers instead of a small group to skirmish with, which can get people killed by this indirect fire.

Personally I enjoy the feel of it and I like to think it should be there to encourage quicker forming up or at the very least moving a group of guys forward to form a more intimidating line.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Stalin View Post
    Can we stay on topic please
    It is on topic. For example, what I said means that confederate players spend less time in spawn, and the Union more, so adjustments would have to take into account the Union being in their spawns more than the Confederates.

And it would reverse when we get maps where the Union is on the defense, where then the Confederates would organize in their spawn before marching out.
    1stNCSS(A)-1st Sgt. Reed