Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photo Gallery Effort/Interest?

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Other than the fact you're way too high in your Google screen shot .. Google doesn't seem to like Edge, and refuses to run on my machine, and I am not downloading and installing Google Chrome. (I have been using Bing Maps for my satellite views.)

True the map does show two houses, but there is definitely only one in existence today. That said, if you go to a satellite view of the field and move up Route 34 / Boonsboro Pike toward Sharpsburg, just across the street from the turn out on the south side of 34, there is a dirt road that leads to something that may have been a homestead at one time. I don't see any indications of a foundation or anything, but that could be buried in the small wood to the west of the dirt driveway.

Initially I thought it might be the Sherrick farm but I don't think the house is oriented correctly per the picture, there is also a glaring lack of artillery in the map around the Sherrick Farm, not to mention that any visible road tends to bend away from the view point instead of circle around as it appears in the photo.

If you enlarge the photo, and look to the lower left where the artillery is stationed, the guns, (6) are positioned ready to advance, but there doesn't appear to be anybody mounted on the horses (teamsters,) leading me to believe that the guns are not ready to be put into action. If there were men mounted on the teams, they would clearly be seen as when you scroll to the right of the picture you can see individuals clearly in the mass of the troops.

I guess this is a question for my next visit to the battlefield with the personnel at the desk.

I don't know of any other house, that would be positioned in the field as it is with this picture and have troops around it in those formations. I have checked all the Civil War Trust Battle maps for Antietam but I just don't feel as comfortable with any other positions as I do with the decision I've come to.

CSA Lieutenant General

Added a new picture of Dunker Church, circa 1862
    Civil War Ancestors: