Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firing Range/Sighting Issues and Ideas

CSA Captain

Trusty previously indicated that the drill server targets use the "ray casting" system, which basically works off of line of sight, and doesn't account for bullet drop. I have also done testing on empty roads in the drill server vs in the skirmish servers. I have found consistently, when at the same range, the ballistics seem to perform differently in the drill server than that of in the game.

See below photo for reference. At 100 meters, I set up 2 targets (players) standing about 3-5 paces apart in a road with no obstructions or turns. after 10 shots, the player to the right (who I was not shooting at) reported hearing whizzes for most of the shots, while the player on the left consistently reported no hits/whizzes, etc... One could make the argument that I am a bad shot (which I still need to improve), but I can and do hit targets at 200+ meters reaching out as far as 450 meters during training sessions. I tend to think that If I could hit at these ranges, i would not consistently miss this badly at 100. For each shot, I could still see both targets, so I know that I wasn't shooting at the wrong one by mistake either. After this series of shots, we transferred to a skirmish server and duplicated the test, but accuracy went up to about 80% or so.

drill camp shooting.jpg

CSA Captain

The referenced session took place about a week ago, so I am going off of memory. The actual range may have been 150 meters, but the bullet drop at that range is pretty minimal.

CSA Captain

I tend to agree the weapons seem to behave differently (from a ballistic perspective) in the Drill camp vs in a skirmish.

CSA Captain

Yes, they do. The actual range does not show where the bullets actually impact but where your sights were when you fired. The bullets (depending on the rifle and shot loaded) will have various shot groupings, hence why I conducted these tests on the side of tents

Ditch the range, pick a tent and pace out using steps in quick-time and conduct your own tests, have a person by the tents to record your shots and you'll see!
    50th Georgia Co. C "Coffee County Guards"
    1st Lt. Soldier

Have you lived off of poor rations, dehydrated, in horrible boots and feared for your life while running half a mile and then brought your sights up? If you can answer yes to those questions I'll consider your suggestion to reduce aim sway. -Trusty
    I did shoot a deer at 100m once in 20 degree weather with Ugg's boots on and I hadn't eaten breakfast, closest I could get to your description -Me

CSA Captain

Basically it comes down to we need targets that don't treat the bullets like lasers, but rather like bullets out of muskets.....
    1st Lt. Soldier

Have you lived off of poor rations, dehydrated, in horrible boots and feared for your life while running half a mile and then brought your sights up? If you can answer yes to those questions I'll consider your suggestion to reduce aim sway. -Trusty
    I did shoot a deer at 100m once in 20 degree weather with Ugg's boots on and I hadn't eaten breakfast, closest I could get to your description -Me

Quote Originally Posted by William F. Randolph View Post
    Basically it comes down to we need targets that don't treat the bullets like lasers, but rather like bullets out of muskets.....
    Yes. This is not a priority for us at the moment though.

- Trusty

CSA Captain

I'm fine with using tents in lieu of targets personally, get on with the real stuff. Just bringing this to the attention of people who think they're crack-shots
    1st Lt. Soldier

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsme Indaface View Post
    The referenced session took place about a week ago, so I am going off of memory. The actual range may have been 150 meters, but the bullet drop at that range is pretty minimal.
    With the P53
    IF you set the sights at 200 yards, then at:
    125 yards the bullet will be 21" Above your aiming line
    150 yards the bullet will be 20" 1/8 Above your aiming line
    175 yards the bullet will be 10" 1/5 Above your aiming line

So if the sights was set at 200 yards, then the bullet should actually hit higher than your aiming point.

my source, a british military manual form 1859, do not give the number for sights at 100 yards, and firing at a longer distance, since that was not how the sights was to be used.
    Not sure what numbers the game use...

and With the sights at 300 yards the bullet tops at 3ft 7" at 175 yards distance... that is why correct range estimation is pretty important.
    (And the fact that this was very very rarly something the american soldiers learned, was one reason why the usual combat range was about 100 yards.)
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

CSA Captain

Yes I sight in rifles all of the time I'm well aware of how this works! I wish we knew how much distance a pace is in game, we just assume the pace is a yard so I'll attempt some of this later, but it's gonna be hard to accomplish and replicate.
    1st Lt. Soldier

CSA Lieutenant General

Posted results for the 1855 Springfield, 50yds target distance, 100yd sight used.
    1855Springfield50yd.jpg
    Civil War Ancestors: