Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firing Range/Sighting Issues and Ideas

Banned
    Are there going to be unregulated miscellaneous arms for the Confederacy? I'm sorry, this to me is just top of the list, known, historical importance. The minieball in TV documentaries is listed as Union advantage, along with trains, telegraph, the ability to manufacture. But these are all minie ball, your ballistics Youtube. Southerners are shooting round lead balls commonly and early. For instance, what is at the Battle of Bull Run? I know we can't get into ALL the state uniforms, but the gun composition matters.

"Early in the war, Confederates used civilian arms including shotguns and hunting rifles like the Kentucky or Hawken due to the shortage of military weapons. The British officer Arthur Fremantle observed that revolvers and shotguns (especially double-barreled models) were the favored weapons of Confederate cavalry and mounted infantry during his 1863 visit to the South.[8]"

elsewhere, "Pistols and revolvers were not extremely common in the south, with many cavalrymen using shotguns instead."
    http://www.guns.com/2013/02/23/guns-...te-grunt-1863/

Mainly what I said, up top , regular common knowledge and playability.
    I guess the South caught up on the Enfield minieball issue later on in the arms race.

How do you make the player shoot 700 misses anyway? 700 shots in this war for a kill, they say. After the first fire, smoke that causes accuracy rates from the Napoleonic war, they say.
    Last edited by KoreanPCA; 06-28-2017 at 06:54 PM.

USA Sergeant

Iam sorry to say, But it is hard understand your text when you don't use a normal sentence structure. And write everything in one long line.
    I simply don't understand what your asking and what your are claiming.

Please, Iam not trying to insult you or anything. But I simply have a hard time understanding you.

----
    And the article you link to is of very poor quality.
    (about the P53 Enfield)
    "With some 1500 of these rifles leaving Britain in the holds of smugglers bound for the South, it is believed that by 1863 most of the Army of Northern Virginia was equipped with one. In fact, it was so popular that the Union Army even bought them, in nearly double the quantities that the CSA did."

This makes no sense. The CSA important way more than 1500 enfield. The union imported Enfields from the start of the war, just like the CSA did...
    And there are plenty of other strange statements.
    Last edited by thomas aagaard; 06-28-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

Banned
    You again, Thomas? I find it hard to believe theres no insult when you simply put the adjectives Strange, nonsense, poor quality, and abnormal to what I'm doing. In fact, there aren't any run on sentences and comprehensibility will depend on you pointing it out. The Union imported maybe 80% of the Enfields I just read. That inequality just makes sense given no diplomatic recognition for the Southern States.
    Last edited by KoreanPCA; 06-28-2017 at 06:55 PM.

USA Sergeant

I have a hard time understanding you in your post above. Got nothing to do with the site you linked to.

And from other topics it is clear that Iam not the only one And that is a shame.

The article you linked to I can understand. But is just of poor quality with a lot of errors.
    another example:
    "By 1863 most of these older firearms had either worn out, captured (more than 70,000 rifles were lost in the first nine days of that year after the defeats at Vicksburg and Gettysburg alone) or were otherwise unserviceable."

Everyone here knows that Gettysburg and the fall of Vicksburg was not within the first nine days of 1863.
    Did the CSA loose 70.000 guns at the two "battles? Properly, but the page tell us that this happened within the first 9 days of the year. And that is obviously not correct.

And I looked at some other pages. And they are just as bad.

This one http://www.guns.com/2013/02/16/guns-...863-civil-war/ show us that the "Sharps rifle" was a boltaction rifle.
    And that more than 620.000 union soldiers died. When the 620.000 number is normally given for the number of killed on both sides.

And very central.
    The page give no sources for anything it claims. Even wikipedia do this better.
    Last edited by thomas aagaard; 06-28-2017 at 07:35 PM.

USA Sergeant

After splitting you the text I do think I understand some of your points.

The minieball in TV documentaries is listed as Union advantage,
    Both sides used smoothbore muskets and rifle muskets.
    Early in the war smoothbores was by far the most common. Later in the war they where slowly replaced by rifled firearms.

The Union side did have more rifled firearms in general.
    This could be an advantage in some situation.

the ability to manufacture.
    Not really relevant to a first person shooter.

But these are all minie ball, your ballistics Youtube. Southerners are shooting round lead balls commonly and early.
    I guess your point is that the weapons in the game are all rifle muskets?

The game is not finished.
    Historically Both sides had units with smooth-bore muskets and units with rifle muskets. And this will be reflected in the game

For instance, what is at the Battle of Bull Run?
    This game is about the Maryland campaign...

"Early in the war, Confederates used civilian arms including shotguns and hunting rifles like the Kentucky or Hawken due to the shortage of military weapons. The British officer Arthur Fremantle observed that revolvers and shotguns (especially double-barreled models) were the favored weapons of Confederate cavalry and mounted infantry during his 1863 visit to the South.[8]"
    Yes, this was an issue very early in the war, especially out west. (and later everywhere for the cavalry)
    But in the east, by September 1862 the infantry in Lee's army was mostly armed with military grade muskets.
    (can't rule out any civilian weapons, but it was not the norm)

I guess the South caught up on the Enfield minieball issue later on in the arms race.

Actually the csa was the first to buy Enfields. The result is that they got the better machine made weapons... so no "catching up" was needed.

A good book about this would be:
    "civil war firearms"
    by Joseph G. Bilby.
    Last edited by thomas aagaard; 06-28-2017 at 07:35 PM.