Thread: How will Campfire Games keep 'War of Rights' fresh and challenging?

CSA Captain

How will Campfire Games keep 'War of Rights' fresh and challenging?

Now this is a serious question, and is meant glean information about the possible plans and hopes for the game.

Now I clearly love this game, I love the feel, the community and the bold step you took to make such a niche game. However with all FPS's once you've played the maps a few hundred times, explored the tactics and objectives and despite how brilliant the maps are you do tire of them. What are your intentions to keep the community alive and buzzing?

Could you share some insights into your hopes for the release and future for these 'Series' of games?
    4th Texas 'C' Company

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    More campaigns?
    A given I think, hence my 'Series' comment, but is it just maps, maps and more maps! What else are they scheming in their little rooms.
    4th Texas 'C' Company

I'm a bit sad you so quickly jump to the conclusion of comparing us with any other FPS game. :P

We have no intention of turning WoR into a franchise. Instead, we hope to be able to work on expanding the game for many, many years to come. In short, as long as we have enough support to continue its development we'll do so.

As to keeping things fresh - that's rather early a question to ask as we have just entered alpha and have many core gameplay systems and mechanics still to be implemented. We have released two additional skirmish areas in the 30 days since we released the alpha and we'll naturally continue to add content as long as we have the support to do so, as stated above. It is also part of the reason why we're not overly keen on talking about specific release dates etc. - we don't have a hard list of checkmarks in front of us with stuff we need before a release. I'm certain this is pretty uncommon in games development (a number of more experienced game devs we've had contact to as advisors have all found our approach odd, almost casual at first, until they realize the project is more of an artistic creation for us than a product of a strict bussines plan).

When asked by them "but when is the game done?" I always answer "when we don't have a backing to work on it anymore". Sure, it adds a bit of uncertaincy for anyone looking from the outside and in but for us, as a team and with you guys as testers, it allows for a much more organic evolution of ideas which in turn are more likely to be included because we don't have the strict development plan laid down.

- Trusty

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    They use Tupperware!

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    They use Tupperware!
    And WE are the Tupperware salesmen ...
    They have great Ideas but they have shown a willingness to listen to the community's ideas and suggestions
    WITHOUT letting forum whiners and Hack and Slash lovers deter them or steer them from their Initial Vision.
    /salute
    Fresh won't be a problem ...
    finding a large enough player base with great intelligence, dedication and love of this era will be a greater challenge, methinks.
    This game isn't designed for the Rambo's or those seeking accolades and power ups for instant gratification.
    Leadership, Teamwork and Strategy are the needed skills here ... FPS it most certainly is not!
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

USA Lieutenant General

Having clocked in 68 hours so far (more than any Call of Duty game I've played :P) I'm mainly looking forward to two things. For the Union to get some defensive maps of their own, since being on the offense 100% of the time is rather tedious, exhausting, and can be lethal to morale, and for the game to eventually open up to a wider player base. I haven't played it much in the past fortnight partly due to the simple novelty factor wearing off a bit, but also because I'm clearly not the only one who feels that way since I regularly check only to discover that almost no one is playing compared with a month ago. Once those servers are able to start filling up on a regular basis (perhaps with increased player counts) and we can get some real battles going I think I'll be able to get right back into the flow of things. Even if coordination becomes more difficult I'm personally going to enjoy just the intensity of the battles enough to keep coming back for more.