Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why cannot start since 620 update

USA Captain

why cannot start since 620 update

game crashed and system restart auto,,,,
    update my vedio card but not work..nvidia GTX960 ...
    any solution?

CSA Captain

Hi,

How are we supposed to help with little to no information expect your graphic card ?! When the game crashes and the systems reboots, this can have many reasons which must not be related to the game (heat for example). Things you can try initially would be to check the event log of you OS, there must be an info why the computer reboots.

Cheers
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Hi,

How are we supposed to help with little to no information expect your graphic card ?! When the game crashes and the systems reboots, this can have many reasons which must not be related to the game (heat for example). Things you can try initially would be to check the event log of you OS, there must be an info why the computer reboots.

Cheers

I enter game with add vitrual DDR...but black screen and stock there,,

USA Brigadier General

what in Jesus Christ name is virtual DDR?
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus Meridius View Post
    the only "virtual ddr" which comes to my mind is the setting where you add more RAM dedicated to windows os (to have better performance for the OS)....at system-> performance and so on, but this actually doesnt makes sense....

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    the only "virtual ddr" which comes to my mind is the setting where you add more RAM dedicated to windows os (to have better performance for the OS)....at system-> performance and so on, but this actually doesnt makes sense....
    the term "virtual ddr or RAM" doesnt make sense.

And if he did that it's no wonder why he get black screens because it's makes a system more unstable
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

CSA Lieutenant General

the term "virtual ddr or RAM" doesnt make sense.

And if he did that it's no wonder why he get black screens because it's makes a system more unstable
    Virtual RAM does make sense, and it is a thing. The performance hit that can be caused by the use of virtual RAM (i.e. a swap file) is arguable. If a systems RAM size is low enough to require virtual memory (RAM, swap, whatever you want to call it) then implementing the virtual memory will allow the system to gain functionality by being able to open more programs at once, while swapping what's currently being used between RAM and virtual RAM. Is there a performance hit, sure, RAM is much faster than making a disk read/write, which is what the system has to do when accessing (or swapping) with virtual memory.

These issues should be far less of a concern now a days as system RAM has grown so large and so cheap (although, so has programs sizes and memory requirements). You can buy more for your money than what you used to be able to buy when RAM was expensive. In the older days (mid 1990's and likely earlier as well) it was a standard to configure most Unix systems with at least double the amount of swap as they had RAM. For example, if a system had 256mb of RAM, it was standard to at least allocate a 512mb partition on the hard drive to assign to swap space.

I'm not sure officially when I learned that Microsoft also used swap space in terms of "virtual memory", because I learned Unix better than I learned DOS initially. Here is a Microsoft TechNet article on dealing with virtual memory, and things you can do with the pagefile.sys file that is used as swap space.

Microsoft TechNet Article on Virtual Memory

Hope this all makes sense. Oh, and check out the bold faced section title Should you get involved in managing the page file? It discusses the performance improvement you can make by having multiple pagefiles on different physical disks, as the requirement to allow the disk controller to make simultaneous calls is better than using just one physical disk. Today, its suggested that you not enable virtual memory if your only storage is SSD, because of the excessive read/writes that have to occur when using swap.

Regards,
    Last edited by dmurray6; 06-21-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA Captain

Virtual memory

USA Captain

now I cannot enter game,,,while enter start logo will lead to restart /...
    My computer can only run it at lowest configuration...but how edit????

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by cheeyeah View Post
    now I cannot enter game,,,while enter start logo will lead to restart /...
    My computer can only run it at lowest configuration...but how edit????
    You mean sth. like this ? https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...1216-JMTZ-0860

- Iced Earth