Thread: Discovered some interesting reading.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.

Discovered some interesting reading.

USA Sergeant

It give us the usual myth that the rifle musket was a completely new weapon and that the rifle musket caused the large casualties.
    (when 2/3 of every death was to sickness and there is no real evidence that the battles of the civil war was made any more bloody by the rifle musket... improved artillery sure... but the usual combat range was about 100 yards... just like 60 years earlier)
    I guess that is to be expected from a book that is more then 50 years old.

But it is actually pretty interesting with a lot of details about who made weapons and the import of weapons from Europe.
    Including a good chapter on the Enfield and about the different gunsmiths in England that made them.

And points for not repeating the myth that Bufords men had Spencer's at Gettysburg. And focusing on Wilders lightning brigade in the chapter about the Spencer.

A very Nice find and certainty worth looking at.... hope to find the time to actually read it from end to end at some point. :-)
    Last edited by thomas aagaard; 07-02-2017 at 07:05 PM.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    I have the following volumes in my personal library in original book form. At the time it was quite an expensive addition. Any more you can find everything on the web.
    For your enjoyment, and benefit, I present:

The Photographic History of the American Civil War, in 10 volumes.

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

Volume 4

Volume 5

Volume 6

Volume 7

Volume 8

Volume 9

Volume 10

Enjoy.

Banned
    There are some great pictures there! Do you hate that Preface guy? I mean his job is pictures, I get it. However, Isn't that annoying? What is he selling? random academia, propaganda too. it wasn't anglo-saxon vs anglo-saxon , like the North isn't Loudly proud of their immigration , the statue of liberty. The low 8,000 a year immigration to the 1830's 1.5 million, are going to New York. He says he's from an abolitionist New England town in the north barely visiting the south, that's pretty open-biased. What should I take as history? The War of the Roses references over and over? Really? The hugest battles of both American continents is equal to the York and Lancaster squabble. To Decide, to put 1000s of pages of your time into this on this sort of intro, that's a problem. I'm convinced he's a Britain or trying to be? Freedom won a Runnymede, Magna Carta is barely a discussion. Very obviously, actually. Notice his British use of nation to mean the origins of people. They say the united kingdom 3 nations in their empire. No one says that about states or immigrants. Useless Roman legion or Grecian comparisons.
    Last edited by KoreanPCA; 07-02-2017 at 11:53 PM.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanPCA View Post
    There are some great pictures there! Do you hate that Preface guy? I mean his job is pictures, I get it. However, Isn't that annoying? What is he selling? random academia, propaganda too. it wasn't anglo-saxon vs anglo-saxon , like the North isn't Loudly proud of their immigration , the statue of liberty. The low 8,000 a year immigration to the 1830's 1.5 million, are going to New York. He says he's from an abolitionist New England town in the north barely visiting the south, that's pretty open-biased. What should I take as history? The War of the Roses references over and over? Really? The hugest battles of both American continents is equal to the York and Lancaster squabble. To Decide, to put 1000s of pages of your time into this on this sort of intro, that's a problem. I'm convinced he's a Britain or trying to be? Freedom won a Runnymede, Magna Carta is barely a discussion. Very obviously, actually. Notice his British use of nation to mean the origins of people. They say the united kingdom 3 nations in their empire. No one says that about states or immigrants. Useless Roman legion or Grecian comparisons.
    Well........actually the gentleman in question, Francis Trevelyan Miller, was indeed an American, and quite a famous one at that. The ten volume set is considered a 'classic' of civil war literature, containing many images lost to time. The author was ahead of the times by a good few decades (the volumes concentrate on the soldiers as opposed to standard texts of that era which were still fixated on the leaders/facts/figures) Well worth a look, thanks for posting that A.P.

USA Sergeant

KoreanPCa was banned... So he will not be replying.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard