Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Artillery

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    The Already Planned future increase of Server Caps will allow for a workable size of Cav and Arty, methinks.
    Sure, I'm certainly not debating that point. But we should still take a look at what the numbers might be if we're talking about a 100 vs. 100 server. But right now, I have a meeting to go to, so I'll hit it up later.
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    Sure, I'm certainly not debating that point. But we should still take a look at what the numbers might be if we're talking about a 100 vs. 100 server. But right now, I have a meeting to go to, so I'll hit it up later.
    The ratio between infantry / cavalry / artillery limits for each branch. important factor in this all how many people are needed in the game to man / move and command a artillery piece that interests me

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by Profender View Post
    important factor in this all how many people are needed in the game to man / move and command a artillery piece that interests me
    Same here.
    A stricter Ratio might help avoid Custer vs The Sioux reenactments much as Limiting Pistols is going to return Skirms to the Civil War period rather than Dodge City Shootouts we are all WAY too familiar with, of late.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Profender View Post
    The ratio between infantry / cavalry / artillery limits for each branch. important factor in this all how many people are needed in the game to man / move and command a artillery piece that interests me
    There shouldn't be a hard set number of men required to operate a gun. Irl you can operate a gun with one person but in order to operate it fast and efficiently you'll need a good sized crew. This is how it should be in-game, this way it leaves more room for infantry while the artillery can still do their jobs to a decent standard.

To move a piece of arty it should take around 2-3 men, plus horses if you wanna move it a large distance.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    There shouldn't be a hard set number of men required to operate a gun. Irl you can operate a gun with one person but in order to operate it fast and efficiently you'll need a good sized crew. This is how it should be in-game, this way it leaves more room for infantry while the artillery can still do their jobs to a decent standard.

To move a piece of arty it should take around 2-3 men, plus horses if you wanna move it a large distance.
    Never said you needed a hard set number of men to operate a gun. It interests me how many people they would allow each piece to have in full force well read my comment again that says it all.

USA General of the Army

Perhaps a number for Full Efficiency ... Partial .... Minimal?
    A Value for Firing and a separate for Movement since both ought to require different numbers of troops?
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley View Post
    Perhaps a number for Full Efficiency ... Partial .... Minimal?
    A Value for Firing and a separate for Movement since both ought to require different numbers of troops?
    In order for a gun to work efficiently, it would require 7 cannoneers (Privates) (Each with different responsibilities) 3 drivers (Privates), and a gunner (Corporal). A gun would be assigned to a platoon which also included a caissons part, and an ammo supply part. A platoon would be commanded by a Chief of piece (Sergeant).

As you can see there are different jobs to do, so it would be cool to just have those jobs open. Meaning one man could actually reload and fire a cannon (Though it would probably take more than a quarter of an hour.).

A while ago Ted posted a cool video on the 1st NJ Artillery thread of a couple people demonstrating some artillery. (Scroll to the last post.)

Cpl. George Anthony
    Gunner

Battery A, 1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    The German Volunteers

Realistically there should be 3-4 players manning a cannon, otherwise we'll have a single cannon in a massove battle or 15 infantry being supported by 50 artillierists.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

CSA Major

It should really be optional. One person can do multiple jobs but it will just take a bit longer. Full or even half crew shouldn't be a requirement, it should be an option for companies to choose how many crew they want per gun.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    According to McClellan, in his biography, he states that before he was given command of the Army, it was hard to place a ratio as Artillery was considered at the time to be the realm of aristocracy, mean you needed to be somewhat educated to be in the artillery. But he claims that to make artillery an effective arm of the service, his Chief of Artillery, General Barry, made the recommendation of 3 guns per 1,000 men. Early writings of the Confederacy state that they also tried for 2 1/2 guns per 1,000 men.

<edit> I should have stated I am specifically speaking about the battle of Antietam with the information below. </edit>
    According to various records, McClellan was able to bring around 350 cannon of various types to the field, while the Confederates were able to amass close to 400 pieces.
    Certain records state that McClellan's artillery to infantry worked out to 4 guns per 1,000 men and Lee's artillery to infantry worked out to be 9 guns per 1,000 men.