Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Artillery

Would love to see this change. It would add a whole new layer to combat.
    With Honour, For Country, To God

Former M&B: Napoleon Prussian General

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    The current artillery system isn't tracking anything. It's completely random in regards to where it chooses to hit.

- Trusty
    It is doing a pretty good job of tracking me. I must have a "random" target painted on my back.
    Lightfoot

CSA Captain

Just spawned into the game to tweak my gfx settings, getting really annoyed with screen tearing and lack of vsync optimisation, and I had to endure a blank screen with that 'pain in the arse' laser targeting artillery. Why have artillery in hitting Spawn anyway?
    4th Texas 'C' Company

CSA Captain

I have to be totally honest here, I'm very skeptical about player run artillery. I think, to make it viable, you would have to tie the number of player artillery to the number of Infantry in game....otherwise there would be huge problems given the amount of damage a twelve pounder could inflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    I have to be totally honest here
    Makes me happy that you are totally honest.

looking forward seeing artillery in the game

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    I have to be totally honest here, I'm very skeptical about player run artillery. I think, to make it viable, you would have to tie the number of player artillery to the number of Infantry in game....otherwise there would be huge problems given the amount of damage a twelve pounder could inflict.
    I agree. Too many insatiable people and it can easily result in another mediocre attempt at line-battles.

Artillery is such a mundane, boring-as-all-hell role in the real world. To make it fun, even with reduced crews, you have to have something fun to do. Half of that should be placing and maneuvering. But it's a fat chance that happens. So we have fixed guns who might be able to be turned? And all for what? To lob shells in a heavily-nerfed cat-and-mouse game? Don't get me wrong I was in the artillery but it's a crackpipe dream that negates from the all-important and time-consuming fact that infantry combat of this type has never been gotten right in a video game. So when I see people 'excited' and looking beyond that problem and to something that will in fact work against that very difficult goal I can only roll my eyes so far. At best I'm uninterested, at worst I'd like to see the idea of player-controlled artillery completely shelved until infantry combat is solid. Make no mistake, that hasn't happened.
    Last edited by Poorlaggedman; 01-09-2018 at 01:32 AM.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Poorlaggedman View Post
    I agree. Too many insatiable people and it can easily result in another mediocre attempt at line-battles.

Artillery is such a mundane, boring-as-all-hell role in the real world. To make it fun, even with reduced crews, you have to have something fun to do. Half of that should be placing and maneuvering. But it's a fat chance that happens. So we have fixed guns who might be able to be turned? And all for what? To lob shells in a heavily-nerfed cat-and-mouse game? Don't get me wrong I was in the artillery but it's a crackpipe dream that negates from the all-important and time-consuming fact that infantry combat of this type has never been gotten right in a video game. So when I see people 'excited' and looking beyond that problem and to something that will in fact work against that very difficult goal I can only roll my eyes so far. At best I'm uninterested, at worst I'd like to see the idea of player-controlled artillery completely shelved until infantry combat is solid. Make no mistake, that hasn't happened.
    Pretty much my thoughts, my first role in re-enactment was in the Washington Artillery, and to be honest the best that can be said about it was that it was hard work. The single most important job is to get the Infantry right, and then maybe, MAYBE a crack at working Cavalry into the game.

Holdfast (and other MP games) have player controlled arty, and tbh they can't hit the broadside of a barn. Just takes players away from the fight. Leave the artillery operations to the AI.

USA Major

Give all the possible roles to players. I am definitely for player controlled artillery and cavallery aswell