Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revolver reloads

CSA Captain

Revolver reloads

I think that during the American Civil War there were paper cartridges for revolvers and some revolvers like the Remington 1858 had the ability to have pre loaded cylinders for reloads have you thought about including the ability for the officers to reload their revolvers?

USA General of the Army

A slippery slope methinks.
    It is already Dodge City out there and 6 shots isn't OP enough?
    Granted, Launch will have a cap on the number of officers spawned and Engagements will be longer and on larger battlefields but ...
    Those pistols should be for Defense and an Officer's Duty should be to Leading and NOT adding to Unit Firepower, imho.
    My Great Great Grandfather, Isaac MacDonal Cooley, served as a Pathfinder Cavalry Scout
    in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry Regiment (Dobbin's) Company K
    My Avatar flies his Unit Guidon to Honor his Service.
    My Credo is a simple one ... Unit before Self with Honor above ALL else.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Mosby View Post
    I think that during the American Civil War there were paper cartridges for revolvers and some revolvers like the Remington 1858 had the ability to have pre loaded cylinders for reloads have you thought about including the ability for the officers to reload their revolvers?
    They did have paper cartridges, many of them also used flash paper so they didn't have to tear the paper before putting it in the cylinder. Revolver reloads have been discussed many times, I think it's still up in the air at this point.

If they do add it it shouldn't be many reloads, 2-3 reloads max, or they could just give them a historical amount of rounds.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Captain

I hope for revolver reloads, BUT after cap for number of officers (not sooner!) and the reload should take serious amount of time.

CSA Captain

Historically speaking yes, you could have an extra cylinder (maybe two, but probably one) already loaded that you could just slip into your revolver. On an 1860 or 51 Colt (Navy or Army) you can do this in as little as 10 secs, done it myself. However, add several seconds to the adrenaline and confusion of battle and 20 seconds would be decent. Now for a 58 Remington, that time is reduced due to its easy cylinder change.

I agree that there should be a spare cylinder, maybe two, but also that it should not be introduced until officer limitations are unveiled. There have been multiple discussions on this topic, all say about the same thing.
    To the Colors!

Captain Lance Rawlings
    Company K, 38th North Carolina, Pender's Brigade, A.P. Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/show...lina-Boys-quot

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mosby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    They did have paper cartridges, many of them also used flash paper so they didn't have to tear the paper before putting it in the cylinder. Revolver reloads have been discussed many times, I think it's still up in the air at this point.

If they do add it it shouldn't be many reloads, 2-3 reloads max, or they could just give them a historical amount of rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bivoj View Post
    I hope for revolver reloads, BUT after cap for number of officers (not sooner!) and the reload should take serious amount of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Rawlings View Post
    Historically speaking yes, you could have an extra cylinder (maybe two, but probably one) already loaded that you could just slip into your revolver. On an 1860 or 51 Colt (Navy or Army) you can do this in as little as 10 secs, done it myself. However, add several seconds to the adrenaline and confusion of battle and 20 seconds would be decent. Now for a 58 Remington, that time is reduced due to its easy cylinder change.

I agree that there should be a spare cylinder, maybe two, but also that it should not be introduced until officer limitations are unveiled. There have been multiple discussions on this topic, all say about the same thing.
    I agree!
    Captain William Clark Falkner
    2nd Mississippi
    Company F

"I'll tell you what war is about, you've got to kill people, and when you've killed enough they stop fighting." - Curtis LeMay
    "Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." - Napoleon I
    "Cowards die many times before their actual deaths." - Julius Caesar

USA Major

Right now the game over emphasizes the use of pistols. Officers in the game are extremely good skirmishers. However, historically, the officer's job was not being a skirmisher. The pistol was there for personal protection but was not a reliable weapon in battle. The caps could be knocked off, the grease could run exposing the powder, it could misfire, etc. It was also a very inaccurate weapon in a combat situation. It's normal use was at point blank distances, even with contact (push the barrel right into the person and pull the trigger).

While carrying an extra cylinder was a tactic used by cavalry and originally developed by Walker and the Texas Rangers for Indian fighting, by the time of the Civil War it had apparently been forgotten. The Colt Walker was specifically designed to use the tactic because the cylinder could be easily changed while riding. Most of the other style pistols used it were rather difficult to do this. In my fifty some years of reading on the Civil War including many of the newer tactical books out, I don't think I have seen one mention of the tactic of carrying extra cylinders being used.

The pistols commonly used were not easy to load in battlefield conditions. For the 45 minute length of our skirmishes not allowing reloading is probably valid. When they introduce longer scenarios then reloading probably should be an option but it will be a time consuming process.
    Lightfoot

Simply allow reloading, and making pistols wildy innacurate past 6 yards or so, and even only reliably accurate at 3 yards or so. This forces officers to only use pistols during melee or when its about to begin.
    http://i.imgur.com/STUHVb8.png

CSA Major General

the problem... pistols are OP , yes.. but they of course had ways of reloading and some what quickly... the difference is.. they were not very accurate nor reliable, in game they are like a rifle .. I am sure in time this will change, but for now might as well leave it as is.
    All governments, everywhere derived its power by the consent of the people. The government you have is by your own consent. Not by those brave grey dead of one hundred and fifty plus years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dire View Post
    Simply allow reloading, and making pistols wildy innacurate past 6 yards or so, and even only reliably accurate at 3 yards or so. This forces officers to only use pistols during melee or when its about to begin.
    Revolvers are not wildly inaccurate past 6 yards.

In-game they are far, far from the accuracy of a rifle however. I wouldn't want to use them past 25 yards.

Officers will be heavily limited soon. Giving officers the option to reload will only lure gunslingers in which will result in the very limited slots being shared between players wanting to gunsling and players wanting to actually lead.

- Trusty